uniqs
share rss forum feed

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

1 edit
reply to WhyADuck

Re: Why this is a really stupid move on Hulu's part

It always gets me that the BBC won't stream their shows outside the U.K., even though they could easily earn revenue from advertisers in other parts of the world, particularly Canada and the U.S. - but then, they're in a country that still tries to levy a tax on every "television set", a holdover from the 1950's when most families only had one TV. I wonder how trying to tax each television set is working out for them now, when so many devices have screens that can be used to display video, and when any computer can be turned into a TV with the addition of a USB tuner stick?

BBC has BBC America in the U.S which frankly has British shows available via iTunes and Zune (and maybe Netflix).

Poland (where I am from) has the same problem with government fees on TV sets. They collect a special monthly "abonament" on every TV set in household through a Postal Service. And it is just for OTA public programming that has nothing on it except for some old folks. Many people simply refuse to pay it and don't allow postal men come into their house for inspection.

Would you pay to government $20 monthly fee for owning a tv. I think not!!! Think how stupid this is!

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
Isn't this much like England and the tax on TV.. or is it the antenna they tax? I don't know.. but Poland certainly isn't the only country that tax TV.. we do it here in the US, only, they don't really do a user-tax system which is more "fair".. we tax things SO unbalanced. In fact, they do tax Americans for TV, and then turned around and allowed the broadcasters to charge cable and satellite users each month for it.. now THAT'S the American way!

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA
They just tax for owning tv, regArdless of having broadcast

They may tax here on bills but it's like few dollars. The real reapers are telco, cable who charge for having hd.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
We also get taxes, in general, to operate the public television stations in this country too.. the FCC and all their cronies don't come for free.

And yes, I agree on the HD comment... they've been paying that bill off on the back of pay TV subscribers for years now, and no one seems to notice, or really care. Shame.

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA
how they deduct tax for these services?

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
Federal Taxes... money is taken from that to fund the FCC.