Search similar:

uniqs

Mr1
Premium Member
join:2002-12-25

Mr1

Premium Member

Ipod will not reformat

So i have a 80gb classic ipod, that somewhere down the line has failed. When i connect it to my computer(windows7) it is not recognized as a device, and itunes does not recognize it either. So i disconnect and put my ipod into disk mode, then reconnect. Now windows will recognize it, as h:, and shows a ipod symbol beside the drive. However, its capacity is shown as 0, and no information about the drive is shown. Windows says that i need to reformat so i click ok, i tried NTFS, FAT32, exFAT all to no avail, it just fails and says windows could not reformat the device. I tried the HP usb reformat to, which does not even list the device, I'm stuck now, and have no clue what to do next.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

if you know the drive it toast, you will never be able to format it.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to Mr1

to Mr1
If your iPod's HD is toast you can have it replaced with a new one for a very reasonable price. go here:

»www.digiexpress.us/

This place has an A1 rating they have a flat fee $25 dollars plus parts repair service. They have all of the parts for the classic. The 80 gig HD is $99.00 dollars. I believe they can upgrade you classic to a 160 gig HD if you want. A new iPod Classic is $249.00 dollars so you can decide if it is worth fixing what you have.

By the way if you do get it going or repaired I would suggest you go to »www.rockbox.org/ They have a real nifty OS for the Classic that vastly improves the functionality of the iPod Classic. The nice thing about it is does not disable your Apple OS instead you end up with a dual boot system. I have run their OS on an old Sansa unit for years and it transformed it into a much, much better player. It will give your iPod the ablity to play codex's such as Ogg, Flac, and others. The graphic equalizer it has is almost like a mini recording studio's equalizer board.

evgray
join:2003-05-19
Fort Scott, KS

evgray to Mr1

to Mr1
I have seen this once before. I plugged it into my macbook and it recognized it and formatted it. Then plugged it into a Windows machine and set it back to pc format. Do you know anyone that has a Mac that you can borrow for a few?

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by evgray:

I have seen this once before. I plugged it into my macbook and it recognized it and formatted it. Then plugged it into a Windows machine and set it back to pc format. Do you know anyone that has a Mac that you can borrow for a few?
Or go to the Apple store and plug it in there?