spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

My Computer Won't Install/Recognize Program From CD-ROM

I insert a CD-ROM of a program I want on my PC and the set-up wizard doesn't come up, my PC simply ignores the CD-ROM. But when I insert a video CD my PC plays the video flawlessly, so is not the disc driver that is broken is it? Or is video CD playing a different game ball?

pog4
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI

pog4

Premium Member

Check your auto-play settings. How you accomplish this will vary slightly depending on your OS.

Thing is, I tend to think that autoplay is never a good idea... for any type of media.

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

I have Windows XP, how about do I reach/find these settings?

pog4
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI

pog4

Premium Member

Take your pick: »www.google.com/search?q= ··· settings

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Xstar_Lumini

MVM

to Xstar_Lumini
You can also open Windows Explorer and to go the CD rom drive - and double click the setup executable on the disk.

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

Thanks for the attempts at helping guys, but trying to open the CD-ROM on my PC or making it play is not a problem, it just doesn't play even when you double-click the program icon in windows explorer, it doesn't matter how you try to open/play it.

I guess I have to take this thing to my old PC tech down the road along with my CD-ROM to know what the problem is.

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Parogadi to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
pop open the drive and clean the lens.

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini

Okay guys I finally found out what my problem was, it had to do with a bad registry. Ironically I found the problem trying to fix another problem, my Windows Movie Maker would not open for the last 2 weeks, it would blink for a millisecond on the screen and close down.

I googled "windows movie maker won't start" and tried 2 suggestions recommended there... nothing. I then tried the 3rd one, download "RegCure" and let it scan my computer, find problems and fix them (the registry). It worked like magic. Not only did it bring back to life Windows Movie Maker but it also fixed my PC's inability to launch programs from a CD-ROM.

Thanks anyways everybody!