uniqs
Internet61
join:2010-10-11
Murfreesboro, TN

Internet61

Can't Stay Connected At Times

uhp.log
19,394 bytes
It's been happening occasionally since we got Earthlink a few years ago. I always assumed they were doing maintenance.

We will get a good connection for a fairly long time.
Then, the PPPOE light will go off.
I will pull the power out of the Netopia modem for a minute.
Plug it back in.
Then the PPPOE light will come on for 15 seconds and then it will disappear again.
I'll have to keep doing that for a few minutes and then everything works again.
I can remember two occasions where it was past midnight, and it didn't start working again until I woke up.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Internet61:

Event: DSL Statistics
ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 8
Time: 11 hr, 7 min, 24 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 7
Time: 11 hr, 5 min, 24 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 6
Time: 11 hr, 4 min, 52 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 5
Time: 11 hr, 4 min, 43 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 4
Time: 5 hr, 57 min, 29 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 3
Time: 0 hr, 40 min, 14 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 2
Time: 0 hr, 3 min, 47 sec

ADSL Connection Down
Resync Count: 1
Time: 0 hr, 3 min, 39 sec

ADSL Connection Up
Resync Count: 0
Time: 0 hr, 0 min, 25 sec
You need to test out at the NID to see what difference it makes as that will be bypassing the inside wiring. Your line is losing DSL Sync with no pattern and intermittent sync loss can be hard to track down.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How do I test at my NID? What does it look like?
rothenmr
join:2007-11-06
Palmdale, CA

rothenmr to Internet61

to Internet61
I have the same issue. Less than a year ago I started having intermittent dropped connections. I, or other family members, would reset the modem and router. All was good for a few weeks, a few days or a few hours--it was different all the time.

It appeared that the wireless connections were dropping and the wired were not. So I went out and bought a new Linksys router. After a few months of more dropped connections I decided to try another brand of router, thinking that maybe I purchased a bad router. I bought a Netgear. All seemed to work well for more than a month.

Then about a month ago all hell broke loose. I chatted with an EarthLink tech support rep. I then had to call a tier 2 technician. The answer was to update my 2002 Zyxel modem with a new one. I was sent a Zyxel P-660R-D1 modem. Installed it and all was well for a month.

Now today, Oct. 12, 2010, I went most of the day with no issue and then POW, no wireless or wired network connection. Three of the lights were on, the same three that were on when I installed the new Zyxel modem. I chatted with tech support, then called after the first rep could not help. Got disconnected and started a new chat with another tier 1 rep. I advised that three lights are lit on the modem. No comment. Didn't get anywhere so I called and asked for a Tier 3 rep. He seemed to know more than the previous techs. He tested the line and found a bit of noise. Within 5 minutes he submitted a trouble ticket and we dropped the call.

But amazingly after reconnecting the Ethernet cable to the router after directly connecting the modem to one PC for troubleshooting I am now surfing the web again...and I have more than 6 devices; laptops, iPhone, iPad, Wii console, etc. connected wireless and 2 PCs connected via wire. All working OK. Funny thing is that now there are four lights on the modem. Why the fourth light now? Perhaps the line test resolved an issue? Don't understand this flaky service. Was working fine for more than 7 years without any issues.

AngryDog
join:2002-03-22
Lombard, IL

AngryDog

I've been there with Earthlink's sevice before. All goes well for a few years then it crumbles. This time it has been the worst. For I don't know how many months now there has been crap speeds here in Chicago, no drops, just crap speed. I've had many instances where my download speed was equal to dial-up speeds. Maybe Earthlink hasn't been paying their AT&T bill, or maybe they are trying to spend too much time becoming a Wi-Max supplier for some city. Who knows.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to rothenmr

Premium Member

to rothenmr
Couple of points to hopefully help with and clarify.

If you lose Wireless connectivity and the Wired connectivity still works then it is not a DSL Service issue. The Wireless Host or the Wireless Clients are having issues unrelated to the ADSL.

When you use the Earthlink supplied ZyXEL P660R Series in PPPoE Mode it is a "single port" Router (means that you can multiply that port with a simple 10/100 Multi-port Switch to share the Internet with multiple PCs) and once setup it stores your Earthlink Username/Password in memory to automatically log in to the Earthlink service making it "always on" unless there is a DSL Issue or Authentication server issue.

When in PPPoE/Router Mode the ZyXEL P660R Series must show 4 Solid LEDs to be authenticated online and connected to the Internet. If there are only 3 LED on Solid, then you are not connected to the Internet.