pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to needforspeed59

Premium Member

to needforspeed59

Re: [Satellite] Are Directv and Dish Net owned by the same compa

Anyone remember C band? and the free wild feeds.
pwrsurge
join:2009-04-15
Canada

pwrsurge

said by pende_tim:

Anyone remember C band? and the free wild feeds.
Yes I do and C-Band is still around, including all the free wild feeds! C-band will always be in use as unlike KU-band, it does not suffer from rain fade. The only thing is that most of the programming has moved from analog to digital so a digital FTA receiver is required to receive theses. Fortunately, these receivers are relatively inexpensive so a basic standard definition can be purchased for as low as $50

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

But those are the huge dishes - correct? 'Bout the only place to have those is in the country (ie: farm) as most communities have banned them for the last 15-20 years.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by CylonRed:

But those are the huge dishes - correct?
I believe you can use 36" dishes nowadays.
said by CylonRed:

...as most communities have banned them for the last 15-20 years.
Where ? Homeowner's associations have rules against them but I don't know of any cities.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Pretty much the only reason the huge dishes were needed was for the major bandwidth requirements needed for the analog signals being pushed down and needing such a large surface area to get a good enough signal for it.

These days the majority, if not all, of sat broadcasts, be they commercial DBS, FTA, whathaveyou, are done digitally and don't need nearly as big of dishes due to the reduced RF bandwidth needs. You can get away with the smaller ones now.