how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sean8

join:2004-01-23
Toronto

Best GSM non-smartphone?

I'm currently having some problems with my Ericsson T715a and instead of sending it back in for the warranty, I was thinking I might just buy another phone.

I've tried looking online, but all I see is other discussions where someone is asking for the best non-smartphone, which isn't really helping me.

I am simply looking for the most powerful, feature packed non-smartphone available for GSM networks. In no particular order, these are the features I like: threaded SMS, tethering, high streaming quality, J2ME support (if not something better), and a doc/PDF viewer would be great but not sure if it's possible on non-smartphones.

What are your suggestions? Thanks for the help.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

The reason why other discussions aren't going to be of much help to you is that the combination your list of needs/wants better matches the capabilities of a smartphone than a regular dumbphone.

Though some messaging phones will come close. For example the LG GT350/Neon 2 will do what you want except for tethering and "high streaming quality".

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Sean8

Goto GSMARENA.com and checkout the phones there.
Not all of them are available in Canada, but can be purchased on Ebay or other sites that sell unlocked phones.
--
Jake: "Four fried chickens, and a coke" Elwood: "And some dry white toast, please"

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to Sean8

You'll be hard pressed to find a non-smartphone that supports high quality streaming. Most of the non-smartphones have lower end processors that won't perform well with video related tasks.

I think the only choice you are going to find within reason is a Symbian based device, normally a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson phone.

join:2010-09-06
reply to Sean8

said by Sean8:

I'm currently having some problems with my Ericsson T715a and instead of sending it back in for the warranty, I was thinking I might just buy another phone.

I've tried looking online, but all I see is other discussions where someone is asking for the best non-smartphone, which isn't really helping me.

I am simply looking for the most powerful, feature packed non-smartphone available for GSM networks. In no particular order, these are the features I like: threaded SMS, tethering, high streaming quality, J2ME support (if not something better), and a doc/PDF viewer would be great but not sure if it's possible on non-smartphones.

What are your suggestions? Thanks for the help.
ROFL you want all that and not a smartphone. Good luck.

Save yourself the time and get a smartphone.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by 97177105:

Exactly... Times have changed. These days you got the dumbphone, for people who just need to make calls, a featurephone, which is one of those that have slide out keyboards for texting and faceb00k shit for the silly teens, and you got the fully internet capable smartphones, which require proper data plans.
--
BUCK FELL ,,!,,('-'),,!,,

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

That's probably true, although I'm no expert. I have a "dumb phone", and its main exciting features are a hole that you talk into, and another hole that you hold up next to your ear to hear the other person. If you hold the phone just right, you can do both at the same time! Also, a button that you push to answer a call, and number buttons that you push to make a call. It's called a "phone", and is defined as such in the dictionary.

P.S.- I pay about $20 a month, and get to have a phone with me wherever I go. I love advanced high technology!

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to 97177105

said by 97177105:

said by Sean8:

Yeah I have to agree.

Why not a smartphone? For most it's because they don't want to pay for a data plan that will increase their monthly bill, the phones themselves aren't necessarily expensive. However you talk about wanting streaming and tethering which will necessitate some sort of data plan.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Wolfie00

LOL wolfie...

Same kinda phone I got for my old man a few years ago, on the 7-11 prepaid service that doesnt expire in 365 days...

I buy him a $50 card every year, and he doesn't use $50 worth of airtime during a year, so the unused credits roll over.
--
BUCK FELL ,,!,,('-'),,!,,

cheap phone

@dsl.look.ca
reply to Sean8

Personally I'm thinking of getting one of these for emergency and occasional use.

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···tId=5117

For myself it has everything I need in such a device. It's a phone, it has a camera for taking the odd picture in a pinch and it's compatible with Fido for their Pay as You Go Monthly plan with rollover minutes.

Pretty much the same thing I set up my dad with a couple of years ago and he has no complaints.

Things I don't need a phone for:

Silly text messages.
Email.
Watching Movies.
Listening to Music.
Surfing da Weeb.

Basically anything that will cost me more than the bare minimum per month.

So, anyone here have any opinions about the model I listed? Good? Bad? Ugly?

noelstrom
meh.
Premium
join:2003-04-07
London, ON

I've never had anything but issues from any Kyrocera I've ever owned. I don't recommend them at all.
--
Do not mistake kindness for weakness.

cheap phone

@dsl.look.ca

In that case what's your opinion on this model?

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···tId=5117

Or any of the other phones on this page? Keeping in mind that it should be compatible with Fido/Rogers?

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···&Recs=10

Sean8

Toronto
reply to Sean8

The Ericsson T715a has all of the features I listed and is not a smartphone... thanks for the help anyway. I suppose everyone is jumping on the smartphone bandwagan these days, and you've all forgotten phones exist that don't run Android.

The only reason I want to stay away from a smartphone is the data. I get $10 unlimited browsing which lets me use the 5 apps I need (Gmail, eBuddy, Google Maps, Opera, and Facebook) as well as lets me have unlimited tethering. I really don't want to pay $35 for what I get for $10 now... I'm going to hold on getting a smartphone as long as I can.

Last question: do Symbian/Symbian S60 devices count as smartphones? The GSMARENA link was really helpful... I may pick up one of the higher rated S60 phones if they don't count as smartphones and I can still use my $10 browsing plan on it.

theninjasqua

join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON
reply to Sean8

Which cell company are you with?
--

-theninjasquad

Sean8

Toronto

1 edit

Fido. The unlimited browsing package is sold as WAP only for non-smartphones but you end up getting full 3G (and HSPA) data because they aren't able to limit the usage of it the way they want on their end, especially if the customer has some knowledge of J2ME apps. I've confirmed this with a few Fido reps after asking about it on these forums.

theninjasqua

join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON
reply to Sean8

You should look into some Nokia phones. I believe they may have some of the functionality that you require and they are semi-smartphones but geared for the lower end consumer market.
--

-theninjasquad