spc
uniqs
Jirachi
join:2010-10-05
Orlando, FL

1 edit

Jirachi to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Bright House Orlando problems.

I don't use logs so I can only note disconnects when I am actually using the internet.

Perhaps it is possible that only the longer disconnects before were from BHN service (which are seemingly gone for the most part now) and that the shorter ones (which do not affect the modem light labeled "cable") are from something else unrelated. Though I do not believe it to be an ethernet adapter problem as I have multiple desktops and laptops to cross reference (in addition, I have two routers I swap back and forth to reference).

I will continue to monitor the situation and post back when there's an update.

EDIT: I monitored the cable modem really carefully to see if the short disconnects really don't cause the modem light under "cable" to blink. The situation was that for longer disconnects, the light would blink a few times, turn off, then blink a few times, and turn back on.

And in a one hour period (9pm to 10pm) of very closely watching the light and clicking links continuously in a browser to test my internet, I found that during 3 very short "hiccups" in the internet, the light turned off and on once for a very brief moment. And a 4th time, the light stayed lit.

I suspect that those other short disconnects, I may have missed the light turning off since I was expecting a drawn out series of the light blinking, staying off, blinking, then turning back on.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

3 edits

paradigmfl

said by Jirachi:

I don't use logs so I can only note disconnects when I am actually using the internet.

Perhaps it is possible that only the longer disconnects before were from BHN service (which are seemingly gone for the most part now) and that the shorter ones (which do not affect the modem light labeled "cable") are from something else unrelated. Though I do not believe it to be an ethernet adapter problem as I have multiple desktops and laptops to cross reference (in addition, I have two routers I swap back and forth to reference).

EDIT: I monitored the cable modem really carefully to see if the short disconnects really don't cause the modem light under "cable" to blink. The situation was that for longer disconnects, the light would blink a few times, turn off, then blink a few times, and turn back on.

And in a one hour period (9pm to 10pm) of very closely watching the light and clicking links continuously in a browser to test my internet, I found that during 3 very short "hiccups" in the internet, the light turned off and on once for a very brief moment. And a 4th time, the light stayed lit.

I suspect that those other short disconnects, I may have missed the light turning off since I was expecting a drawn out series of the light blinking, staying off, blinking, then turning back on.
If the cable light is going off (or even blinking regularly on some modems) and staying off then with most modems I have seen this indicates a problem somewhere from the modem itself to BHN's office/node. If BHN doesn't want to help you I suggest using a cell/video camera and recording the lights on the modem when the cable light goes out or service drops. Tell them then you have proof, post it to Youtube and ask them to take a look. Maybe post it here too. Don't be afraid to call because one tech said "there is nothing more they can do" - especially if you see that cable light staying off. You're paying for the service. They aren't giving it away. You have to be weary of the techs sometimes. As an example I know of a friend who was told his TV could only get channels 2-13 because "his TV wasn't compatible with Bright House or was broke". Guess what the issue was? ..... The tech plugged the coaxial cable into the Antenna input as opposed to the CABLE input. Had my friend not sought a second opinion they'd only have channels 2 - 13 on that TV to this day! LOL

I'm not sure but from what you describe the modem might be doing a reset? That should not be happening very often under most circumstances.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Jirachi

Premium Member

to Jirachi
said by Jirachi:

Jirachi send me a pm please...