RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

1 recommendation

reply to dmxrob6

Re: FCC & SamKnows

I'm in!
I have nothing to hide, do not download any illegal items.. if the government really wanted to know what I do they sure as heck would not use this as a ruse/excuse to snoop on me. they have much sneakier tactics!

besides, I get a new netgear router! a wnd3500L I believe is what the email i got says.. the software they've loaded is open source so if i chose to do a little snooping of my own i can.
this same software is being used on thousands, if not millions of other routers worldwide for the same types of tests.
the FAQ's/FACTS
»www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

I tossed my tin foil hat years ago!! am also a card carrying member of the NRA.. so if big brother wanted to spy, I'm sure he already has!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
quote:
I have nothing to hide, do not download any illegal items..
Ahhhh you are MORE THAN WILLING to give up your privacy FOR NOTHING??

I dont understand people who DO NOT VALUE THIER PRIVACY!!

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA
give up my privacy? ehhh.. this is the internet age... we all gave that up the minute we got our own unique IP Address..
yes i know all about proxy servers.... anon access methods but seriously...what good will that do?
been on the "net" before it was the net.. arpanet... BBS's.. hell my first pc was a brand new shiny Commie C=64 so ya i been around a few years... Unc Sam already has my info from 6 yrs in the military, taxes.. social security... 40+ years working, alimony, child support, jury duty, mortgage, CC Bills..card carrying member of the National Rifle Association, at one time a security clearance for a contractor i worked for, a private arms dealer license to get my full auto permit (requires an FBI background check).. various background checks for jobs throughout the years...etc.. etc.. all you tin hat wearers seriously need to stop being so paranoid...big brother/google already has mine and your info tucked away...
someone wants my identity? Please Take it! i don't want it anymore!

Seriously think about the day to day info that companies have compiled on you, credit checks... loans, employment background checks, hell even the electric company, if you've ever bought a house, the three major credit agencies have every purchase you've ever made via a credit card not to mention all your payment history...school loan? dept of education knows where you are. today, no one has much privacy unless you've been living in a cave the last 50 years... so before anyone spouts out about privacy think about the simple day to day items you pay for!
your payroll taxes your employer takes out and sends to big brother using your social security number!!
your unencrypted cell phone conversations that any entry level hacker high school kid can use a police scanner to intercept. voice/data stream with plans easily found on the internet..
privacy? ohh puh-lease!!
the list is endless of data available on each and every one of us through everyday tasks.. your ATM/debit purchases... yes even the banks track those...
DMV registration/ Drivers License, state knows where you are if they wish to eavesdrop....
Privacy? again.. Puh-lease!

privacy? ya right!!

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

said by RedCaliSS:

give up my privacy? ehhh.. this is the internet age... we all gave that up the minute we got our own unique IP Address.
Perhaps you did. Others did not.
--
I don't have a problem!

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

1 recommendation

reply to RedCaliSS
said by RedCaliSS:

give up my privacy? ehhh.. this is the internet age... we all gave that up the minute we got our own unique IP Address..
yes i know all about proxy servers.... anon access methods but seriously...what good will that do?
been on the "net" before it was the net.. arpanet... BBS's.. hell my first pc was a brand new shiny Commie C=64
This is probably one of the best posts I've read about this subject.

Those of us who have been around since the days of 300 baud access know that illusions of privacy are just that -- illusions.

Do you think that everytime you use your debit card the bank/super market/gas station/credit card processor isn't storing that information to track you seven ways south of Sunday?

Do you think that everytime you make a phone call that isn't being logged and tracked in a database somewhere?

Do you think that everytime you visit a web page the Google Analytics, Bing for Webmasters, Alexa, web hosting provider, ISP, banner ad server and 100 different other entities aren't tracking that and analyzing every last bit of information?

Wal-mart didn't get to be Wal-Mart without analyzing and studying every shopping habit down to the size of detergent they bought on Sunday's after a football game.

So keep dreaming those dreams, and telling yourself that you have them "fooled" -- the only person you are fooling is yourself.

John K

@conquesthousing.com
quote:
Do you think that everytime you visit a web page the Google Analytics, Bing for Webmasters, Alexa, web hosting provider, ISP, banner ad server and 100 different other entities aren't tracking that and analyzing every last bit of information?

Tracking information in aggregate form and tracking it in dossier form are two different things, sir.

Google analytics may know that "someone" visited a webpage. However, matching up a visit with an IP address and -then- making the effort to match the ip address up with an -actual name- is a whole different kettle of fish. Google likely does not care if John K visits a website so much as they are interested in the fact that "someone" visited the site.

I'm not saying it's impossible to link information gathered in the aggregate to individuals, only that, for most purposes, advertisers and webmasters are going to be interested in you (and your online habits) as an IP address, not you as a individual person ("John K"). There's a difference.

I don't need to know who someone is, exactly, in order to try to take advantage of their surfing habits and what they like.

quote:
Wal-mart didn't get to be Wal-Mart without analyzing and studying every shopping habit down to the size of detergent they bought on Sunday's after a football game.

I agree. However, if I pay cash for something (and avoid using a "club card" for the purchase) all that a store like Wal-Mart knows is that "someone" bought detergent on Sunday.

quote:
So keep dreaming those dreams, and telling yourself that you have them "fooled" -- the only person you are fooling is yourself.

It's entirely possible to fool "them;" it is all a matter of how hard you are willing to work at it.

The more convenience you desire, and the quicker to want to obtain something, the greater the chance you're going to be compromising your privacy as part of the exchange.

I agree that folks who think that advertisers and webmasters don't keep an eye on what they're doing as consumers are kidding themselves. However, I also feel that people who believe that everything they do, everywhere, is not only tracked, but matched up with them -as an individual- (i.e. a dossier) are overthinking things a bit.

Granted, there's currently a move afoot to more or less banish anonymity on the InterTubes, (the CEO of Google made some rather disturbing remarks recently to this effect*) so if such believers are wrong as of Q4 2010, they might not be wrong for very much longer.

*"We can predict where you are going to go Tuesday morning."

"Show us 14 photos of yourself and we can identify who you are. You think you don't have 14 photos of yourself on the internet? You've got Facebook photos!"

"The only way to manage this is true transparency and no anonymity. In a world of asynchronous threats, it is too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you. We need a name service for people. Governments will demand it."

All of the above are quotes from Eric Schmidt, Google's CEO

l_parker

join:2004-10-30
Destin, FL
reply to RedCaliSS
And now (drumroll please), you can pay to look at ANYBODY'S entire life. There is a company advertising on TV to provide complete background checks on anybody. No longer do you have to be a tech geek or go to a web based service, just pick up your phone and call!

John K

@conquesthousing.com
quote:
And now (drumroll please), you can pay to look at ANYBODY'S entire life. There is a company advertising on TV to provide complete background checks on anybody.

Hmmmmm. You've got me wondering just how thorough a background check these folks are offering.

Arrest records are kept on a federal level. Accessing the NCIC is pretty straightforward and can be done by just about anyone. Any arrests you have under your belt are more or less a matter of public record.

However, doing the -whole- shebang (NCIC search -and- chat with former employers, current neighbors, and so forth) to form a complete picture of just what kind of person someone is is fairly expensive and time-consuming. Do the guys on TV give a price for the service they're offering?

Something tells me that a company advertising on TV is likely offering only a simple criminal background check and could be using hype and a cleverly-worded advertisement to make it sound like it's a much more revealing search than it actually is. However, I have to be honest here and admit that I have never seen this ad myself, so maybe someone else can flesh things out a bit more to give us a better idea of what exactly it is they are offering.

A -thorough- background check comes with a pretty hefty price tag. It's not something you can attain for $39.95 (operators are standing by!). However, any cupcake with a credit card can check on someone via the NCIC for about that without needing to turn on their TV to do it.

A criminal background check is not going to uncover the fact that you can't get to sleep unless you're in your Spider Man Underoos: it's only going to uncover arrests and convictions. Only interviewing ex-employers and neighbors is going to uncover that sort of thing and I'm skeptical that most people who are inclined to respond to such a commercial are going to be willing to foot the kind of bill they'd be faced with to uncover that level of detail.

Of course, the cost of gathering information gets lower and lower all the time. I'm just saying I'm skeptical about what these guys are offering, that's all. TV advertisements are usually long on the sizzle and short on the steak and I'd be very suprised if these guys were an exception.

molecriket

join:2001-02-26
Edgewater, FL
reply to RedCaliSS
Yeah, SamKnows is the least of my concerns. How about Uncle Sam Knows already. There is no reason to be paranoid if you are doing nothing wrong. You wrong doers with half a brain don't post that shit online anyway so what's the problem. Relax and be smart.
My best advise? Save your money like crazy and when you have enough get out of this country and move to a place where your money is worth more. Somewhere in Central or South America will work. Learn Spanish. Or Canada if you like cold weather, at least you won't have to learn Spanish. I personally like warm weather.