tidal
Tidal
Premium Member
join:2001-01-18
Madison, AL

tidal

Premium Member

Directv receivers not connecting to internet

My in-laws have Hughsnet and Directv receivers. I wired the receivers up to a ethernet switch and set the ips address. I tried connect to internet in the menu and it can't connect. Local network says connected but I get an error 22 when trying to connect them to the internet.

The latency is 900ms with speedtest. Are the directv receivers timing out? Does something have to be enabled?

I just want to see them connect successfully to the internet.

What am I missing... new to hughesnet.

thanks!
or270
Premium Member
join:2007-03-13
Lookout, CA

or270

Premium Member

Under networking / advanced setup what are your numbers for-
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS

Also model number of modem?
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too to tidal

to tidal
Yes, it would be helpful to know the model numbers of the DirecTV receivers. I believe that the ones that are capable of being connected to the internet are the HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, and HR 24 DVRs and the H21, H22, H23, and H24 receivers.

Connecting any of those receivers and networking them together should be fairly simple. I have one of my DVRs connected directly to a Linksys router. The other DVR is not close to the router, and I've used a Powerline Adaptor to connect it to the router. Once the receivers/DVRs are properly physically connected, you should be able to just go into the receiver/DVR set up menu, go to "network setup", and then just follow the on screen prompts.

If the receiver/DVR fails to connect to establish a connection to the internet, try re-booting the receiver (while it is physically connected to the switch/router) by either unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in or by pressing the re-set button inside the access card door. If it still won't establish a connection, try simultaneously rebooting the receiver, the router/switch, and the modem.

tidal
Tidal
Premium Member
Madison, AL

tidal

Premium Member

Thanks all!

I'll get the model info from the in-laws. It's basically the latest and greatest from hughesnet and directv
tidal

tidal to or270

Premium Member

to or270
said by or270:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS

They are set to talk to the router. I get the Local network = Connected message on the receivers. Internet = Error 22
One More Too
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by tidal:

said by or270:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS

They are set to talk to the router. I get the Local network = Connected message on the receivers. Internet = Error 22
If you are getting a connection to the local network, that is a good sign. I think there is a good chance that, if you reboot the receivers, you will be okay. I that doesn't work, like I said before, try rebooting the modem and router, too.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to tidal

Premium Member

to tidal
You said switch so I assume that it really is a switch and not a router.

The problem is most likley just one of correct IP assignment.

If rebooting the receiver does not do it. Then reboot the modem. let it come on line and then do the receiver. If it is a router and not a switch do modem, router, receiver.

This appears to be a DTV problem as lots of people have the same problem

»www.dbstalk.com/showthre ··· t=133986
One More Too
Galena, IL

One More Too to tidal

to tidal
One other question. Are you networking with DirecTV DECA equipment or are you using a network that you set up yourself? If you have a DECA setup, DirecTV support should be able to give you some help. If it is your own network, DirecTV won't give you support, but it still should work. Like I said above, I have mine set up using a non-supported Powerline system, and it works fine. Some have used a wireless set up with mixed results.

One other thing comes to mind. To have the ability to network your receivers and DVRs, you do need to subscribe to DirecTV's Multi Room service (also called Whole Home). DirecTV charges $3 per month for that service. If you aren't signed up for it, a call to DirecTV should be able to get it activated immediately. Also, if you don't have a DECA network setup, you will need to request being able to use your own non-supported system. Depending on the Customer Service rep that you get, he or she may give you a hard time for not having the DECA set up and you may need to request talking with a supervisor, but they will authorize use of the non-DECA system. If you do need to call, I'd suggest doing so during normal business hours. During normal business hours, you are more likely to get a support representative in the US and one who is more knowledgeable. Outside of normal business hours, you are likely to get off-shore support, and they can do nothing except to search the data base and read from a script.
One More Too

1 edit

One More Too to tobicat

to tobicat
said by tobicat:

You said switch so I assume that it really is a switch and not a router.

The problem is most likley just one of correct IP assignment.

If rebooting the receiver does not do it. Then reboot the modem. let it come on line and then do the receiver. If it is a router and not a switch do modem, router, receiver.

This appears to be a DTV problem as lots of people have the same problem

»www.dbstalk.com/showthre ··· t=133986
The dbstalk site is an excellent source of information. As I think more about the situation described by the OP, though, my guess is that the issue is one of two things. Either they aren't signed up for the multi-room service, or, if they are signed up for the multi-room service, I think it is likely that the rebooting will take care of the issue.
One More Too

One More Too to tidal

to tidal
There is one other thing to note. Once you do get the internet connection working, if the intent is to be able to download programming via DirecTV's video on demand service, they will pretty much have to do any downloading during the FAP-free overnight period or else they will be running through their daily bandwidth allowance very quickly and sending themselves into FAP.

Because of the bandwidth limitations, I haven't even bothered to try to use the video on demand. But, having the DVRs networked is still nice because it allows you to watch programs recorded in one room to be watched in another, and it also allows programming to be viewed on a PC via the free DirecTV2PC software, which works quite well.

tidal
Tidal
Premium Member
Madison, AL

1 edit

tidal

Premium Member

Thanks again for all the info. I don't think my in-laws have the multi-room viewing enabled. They don't plan on downloading the shows from the dvr over the satellite dish.

I guess we hooked them up so they could get updates or news or other info.

Basically its a hughesnet modem to a apple airport extreme to a netgear switch to the receivers. All receivers says Local Network = connected.

If they don't plan on doing multi-room or downloading from dvr, is there a point to continue this?

I was also hoping to rule out any limitations imposed by hughesnet like high latency, etc causing the receivers to time out or something.

Thanks again
One More Too
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by tidal:

Thanks again for all the info. I don't think my in-laws have the multi-room viewing enabled. They don't plan on downloading the shows from the dvr over the satellite dish.

I guess we hooked them up so they could get updates or news or other info.

Basically its a hughesnet modem to a apple airport extreme to a netgear switch to the receivers. All receivers says Local Network = connected.

If they don't plan on doing multi-room or downloading from dvr, is there a point to continue this?

Thanks again
I really don't know whether it is possible to successfully establish an internet connection to the receiver without having the multi-room service. I do know that, when I had a DVR replaced a couple of months ago, in the process of activating the new receiver, my multi-room service got de-activated, and I wasn't able to re-establish an internet connection until I called and got the multi-room service re-activated.

Otherwise, I think that any updates to software would be coming to the receiver via the satellite anyway. If they don't have any interest in watching programs with a receiver other than the a DVR that recorded them or on a PC, I'm not sure that there is much point in pursuing this further.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

1 edit

tobicat to tidal

Premium Member

to tidal
I do not know anything about Apple stuff but if that Extreme is not constantly handing out the same IP to each receiver that may well be the problem. Plus if they are the kind of people that insist on turning off the DTV receivers that could also cause the inconsistent IP problem.
jduck8
join:2010-10-01
USA

jduck8 to tidal

to tidal
I dealt with a similar problem with my replaytv. Without knowing more specifics it won't be possible to pinpoint the problem, but here are some troubleshooting hints:

It is very possible for the receivers to have lan connections but still not be able to contact the internet due to an incorrect ip address, netmask, gateway or dns server setting.

If the hughesnet modem is on the 'lan' side of the wireless router, both it and the wireless router may be giving out dhcp addresses, which can cause conflicts. Since you can't disable the hughesnet dhcp server, you'll need to make sure it's turned off in the router. If the hughesnet modem is on the 'wan' side of the router, you don't have to worry about this.

If the hughesnet modem is your dhcp server, and you are MANUALLY assigning ip addresses on the receivers, make sure they are high enough that they will not get assigned by dhcp (again, you can't reserve/change dhcp addresses given out by the modem; they start at 192.168.0.2 and go up to 192.168.0.254). Hopefully starting at 200 will be safe (if the hughesnet modem is not your dhcp server, obviously still make sure there is no address conflict, either by reserving addresses in the dhcp server using addresses outside the range you have configured for it to hand out).

tidal
Tidal
Premium Member
Madison, AL

tidal

Premium Member

At the in-laws and they have the following equipment

Hughesnet HN9000
Directv HD+ DVR HR24-100
Directv H24-100 Regular receiver

I'll try to make the router just a wireless airport, no routing.