uniqs
share rss forum feed

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Speakeasy's new level of non-service, 1st hop, 82ms latency!

A couple of weeks ago during my mid-day activities, I notice my dsl modem loose sync and renegotiate. (Breaking all the tcp connections at the time.)

Retesting my line. I found my latency to the 1st hop atm concentrator router in Atlanta (~550miles) had jumped from the normal 32-33ms to 52-53ms.. so I opened a PTR..

The response was not what I expected..

"Anything lower that 100ms is considered fine. If the connection keeps dropping, you will want to contact our support @ 800-556-5829 for further assistance."

Whoa, 100ms!!! I can get lower latency on a dial-up connection!!

That response got me stewing.
I pay premium for a bridged, static IP, aDSL service in my written reply.. Non-the-less, the ticket was closed.

And a week or two later, my connection was back to normal(32 ms latency) and all seamed well.

But this past weekend(10/10), the latency was back up to 72ms, and last night/this morning it's in the 82ms range.

Grrrr.... steam coming out of head..

IMHO.. The new Megapath is not ready for prime time.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I don't know of any ISP that will guarantee ping times to be less than 100 ms at any time. Fluctuations will happen - it is the nature of the technology.

Maybe a small boutique ISP that is small - maybe but realistically none can remotely guarantee a less than 100 ms ping.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

tkdslr

Pompano Beach, FL

Psst.. I'm talking about the ping time to 1st hop router.

I.E.. The ISP's most basic portion of it's internal network.

Any internet routing delays and server response times get added to this number.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Psssst - I know... Still does not make a difference. There are so many variables outside the control of the ISP from remote hardware, to remote lines, remote COs that no ISPs can give a guaranteed ping time.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

tkdslr

Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Odd, every other major ISP in this area (Comcast, AT&T) can get from the end-user to SE's 1st hop Atlanta router in 15 to 30ms (tested it this morning).

But SE can't seam to maintain a simple straight forward ATM link from a COVAD's Dslam to SE's ATM concentrator router in Atlanta that doesn't take a route up to Canada[sic] and back.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Testing at one point in time means nothing. Just because other ISPs are ok RIGHT now does not mean that in 12 hours time it will continue to be or that it is that way the majority of the time.

If you have a traceroute showing that the routing goes to Canada then back to ATL before the first hop - then I would ask SE why and see if they won't reset the routing or give a reason why. Personally - never seen any connection with SE in 8+ years go anywhere but directly to the CO....
--
Brian

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to tkdslr

My, how times have changed. Speakeasy used to be known for the speed of their network and their customer service.

By contrast to this post, I had a Comcast biz support tech tell me last week that the 70ms response I was seeing on one of their circuits was "too high".

tkdslr

Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy
reply to CylonRed

I've seen instances where SE routed an ATM circuit through Texas.. added an extra 20-22ms ping/tracert time. South Florida->Texas->Atlanta
I gained this bit of knownledge from a SE CS rep admission after fixing a similar problem in the past.

As for asking for different ATM routing.. see initial post.. SE can no longer be bothered with deliverying customer service..

Anything 1st hop delay under 100ms is ok with them !!

P.S. You can't tracert ATM circuits using TCP/IP.

In this instance, the extra distance just shows up as extra delay between my my modem/router and the 1st hop router @ SE.. (note: DSLAM processing delay also included this delta).

Technically COVAD could have switched ATM interleave factor from ~2ms to 27ms and accomplished the same effect. (adding 50ms 1st hop delay).

But that would be absurd. Note: AT&T uses 16ms interleave for their noise profile dsl links, (adds 32ms extra round trip delay).

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to lorennerol

said by lorennerol:

My, how times have changed. Speakeasy used to be known for the speed of their network and their customer service.

By contrast to this post, I had a Comcast biz support tech tell me last week that the 70ms response I was seeing on one of their circuits was "too high".
Business cable line correct? if so - totally different animal.
--
Brian

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

said by CylonRed:

said by lorennerol:

Business cable line correct? if so - totally different animal.
Yes, but I wasn't talking about the technology, I was contrasting the attitude about what constitutes "good enough". Ten years ago no Speakeasy rep would have said that anything under 100 was acceptable.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

But then Comcast would have said the exact same thing if you had the same type of service. I have yet to figure out the logic of SE not saying that 10 years ago, if Comcast is saying it today.... Comcast has nothing to do with SE or the situation. There is zero relevancy between Comcast business rep and SE residential rep.

SE was a lot smaller back then as well - unfortunately things do change when companies get bigger.

My point was - and still is - no ISP will guarantee a ping to the first hop for residential service unless they are boutique (cost more than SE frankly). it has been complained about for YEARS when ISPs would not guarantee a ping time - all of the way back to dialup.

It has been bantied about here at DSLR, in this very forum, that SE wants to discourage residential users. They want businesses and business VIOP. If that is there plan - there is little need to try and placate the residential users or make the prices cheaper for those same users.
--
Brian

Nobbie16

join:2000-09-28
Jersey City, NJ

tkdslr don't waste your time or breath with this guy. Doesn't matter what you say he will counter with the most nonsensical crap which defies all logic. Don't try to convince him because you won't succeed. He's a Speakeasy apologist who will make you feel everything you say is wrong.

I left Speakeasy last year after the pricing was no longer making sense and their service was beginning to suck for me. FACT: Speakeasy is not the company it used to be. Price points don't cut it anymore and service is not what it used to be, not by a long shot. There was a time when Speakeasy boasted of the lowest ping times in the market of 10 ms and under. Now 100 ms is considered good? Baloney!! CyclonRed must be getting some kinda commission with every denial and rebuttal he posts, I suspect, because his points and just plain wild and defy all accepted standards. I tell you he's drunk some kinda Koolaid.

Since I've left to Comcast Business I've not had a SINGLE problem. Couldn't be happier and paying less!

See his mindless posts last year when I announced that I would be moving to Comcast. You decide!

»Goodbye Speakeasy

See his

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Some times - the truth hurts and people don't like it. And when people are called out on it - they lash back with name calling.
--
Brian