spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DaveDoug

@rr.com

[TWC] Upgrade to TWC wideband resulted in downgrade to NAT'd IP

I just upgraded to the TWC/RR wideband plan in Syracuse, NY and have found that I have less service that I did with the turbo plan. Previously with the turbo plan the TWC supplied Arris TM402G/110 modem gave my firewall an internet routable ip address. The new Ubee DDW3611 that was installed yesterday is doing NAT and gives my firewall an ip address of 192.168.0.3. This has two very significant negative results.

The first problem and the one that I need to resolve in order to continue using RR wideband is that the wideband modem is giving my firewall a non-routable ip address which breaks dyndns. The dyndns client on my firewall registers the ip address 192.168.0.3 with dyndns. This means I cannot connect to my home jira to-do list that I use to keep on top of my life.

The second problem is the fact that the Ubee DDW3611 modem is doing NAT. Now I have NAT happening twice, once on the Ubee DDW3611 and once on my firewall. This is a potential performance hit, adds configuration complexity, as well a potential issue for any protocols that do not work well being NAT'd multiple times.

Can anyone tell me what my options are with the TWC RR supplied Ubee DDW3611? The installer did not give me login credentials to manage it. Is this something I can manage? I would like to turn off NAT and failing that I need to configure it to port forward tcp/443 to my firewall. I definitely do not want to plug any devices other than my firewall into the Ubee DDW3611, as the Ubee DDW3611 does not have a full firewalling feature set and at any point could be remotely reconfigured by TWC/RR leaving my home PCs exposed.

On top of all this the Ubee DDW3611 is a wifi access point. I not want to use the wifi feature of this device and I need to turn the wifi radio off so at a minimum I have less interference, and at a maximum prevent this un-managed wifi access point with mystery configuration from being used to compromise my home network.

I have been a home customer or various ISPs over the last 15 years and I have never had an ISP give me a non-routable IP address. I was shocked that now that I am paying for a premium service that I would be downgraded to one.

sovere1gnty

join:2006-04-05
Buffalo, NY

Re: [TWC] Upgrade to TWC wideband resulted in downgrade to NAT'd

said by DaveDoug :

I just upgraded to the TWC/RR wideband plan in Syracuse, NY and have found that I have less service that I did with the turbo plan. Previously with the turbo plan the TWC supplied Arris TM402G/110 modem gave my firewall an internet routable ip address. The new Ubee DDW3611 that was installed yesterday is doing NAT and gives my firewall an ip address of 192.168.0.3. This has two very significant negative results.

The first problem and the one that I need to resolve in order to continue using RR wideband is that the wideband modem is giving my firewall a non-routable ip address which breaks dyndns. The dyndns client on my firewall registers the ip address 192.168.0.3 with dyndns. This means I cannot connect to my home jira to-do list that I use to keep on top of my life.

The second problem is the fact that the Ubee DDW3611 modem is doing NAT. Now I have NAT happening twice, once on the Ubee DDW3611 and once on my firewall. This is a potential performance hit, adds configuration complexity, as well a potential issue for any protocols that do not work well being NAT'd multiple times.

Can anyone tell me what my options are with the TWC RR supplied Ubee DDW3611? The installer did not give me login credentials to manage it. Is this something I can manage? I would like to turn off NAT and failing that I need to configure it to port forward tcp/443 to my firewall. I definitely do not want to plug any devices other than my firewall into the Ubee DDW3611, as the Ubee DDW3611 does not have a full firewalling feature set and at any point could be remotely reconfigured by TWC/RR leaving my home PCs exposed.

On top of all this the Ubee DDW3611 is a wifi access point. I not want to use the wifi feature of this device and I need to turn the wifi radio off so at a minimum I have less interference, and at a maximum prevent this un-managed wifi access point with mystery configuration from being used to compromise my home network.

I have been a home customer or various ISPs over the last 15 years and I have never had an ISP give me a non-routable IP address. I was shocked that now that I am paying for a premium service that I would be downgraded to one.
You have a routable address, it's just not on the device directly connected to the cable modem.

An option would be to contact TWC support and request that bridge mode be enabled. In this configuration the routing config is turned off and the modem is just a modem, no nat function, no wireless.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to DaveDoug
"I have been a home customer or various ISPs over the last 15 years and I have never had an ISP give me a non-routable IP address. I was shocked that now that I am paying for a premium service that I would be downgraded to one."

Just call in and ask for Tier 3, have them bridge the modem.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

DaveDoug

@rr.com
reply to DaveDoug
Thank you both very much for the suggested solution. I will pursue that.

DaveDoug

@rr.com
As update, the person in tier 3 support immediately understood the issue and was able to quickly reconfigure the modem. My wife who was experiencing erratic browsing issues is now happy, and by extension I am now happy also.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
said by DaveDoug :

As update, the person in tier 3 support immediately understood the issue and was able to quickly reconfigure the modem. My wife who was experiencing erratic browsing issues is now happy, and by extension I am now happy also.
Outstanding!

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

rustyneedle

join:2001-10-06
North Chili, NY

1 recommendation

reply to DaveDoug
Do you happen to know the steps to put the DDW3611 into bridge mode?

I am a new Signature Home subscriber and got the DDW3611 modem/router connected to a apple AEB.

The Tier 3 support in NY didn't know how to enable bridge mode.

The signature home support says to disable DHCP, Disable firewall and Uncheck the IP Flood Detection.

None of that works. My AEB gets a 169.x.x.x address.

In your DDW3611 config, under Gateway -> Information -> Local Settings.
What does 'Operating Mode:' say. Mine say NAT mode. I'm thinking this should be Bridge Mode. Another TW support said under Tools -> Client Options. There should be a drop down to enable bridge mode. My router doesn't have that.

Just getting frustrated.
-rusty

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Tools - Operation Mode - Check Bridge Mode and apply.

Normal/default mode is NAT.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

rustyneedle

North Chili, NY
There is no Operation Mode under the Tools section.

-rusty

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Click for full size
I dont know what to say...there is on mine!

Hob

rustyneedle

North Chili, NY
Click for full size
Must be a newer menu. Mine looks nothing like that.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 edit
Click for full size
I have the user Guide at work I will take a look tomorrow
Here is what I see where you are

TheBigYahi

join:2010-12-31
Syracuse, NY
Click for full size
Wow, how do you guys have so many options on your DDW3611? Mine seems pretty castrated...

rustyneedle

North Chili, NY

1 recommendation

I'm at a loss of words for the lack of support TW has for these new modems. Two calls to Tier 3 support and nobody knows why I don't have that Tools -> Operations Mode settings to change to bridge mode. And they don't even know how to update them.

Ubee Interactive has no technical support. (all handled through service provider).

I have a service call to bring me another modem.

They won't even let me switch back to my old Arris Cable modem (which still runs phone) for internet. I'd have to downgrade off Signature Home.

Calgon take me away

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23
The modems do have multiple log ins with various accesses. try UN:admin PW:cableroot see if that works

rustyneedle

North Chili, NY
Thanks for all the help/advice.

Finally got into bridge mode. A service tech came out and talked to tier3 support in Buffalo. They switched it right over. Just needed to talk to the right people i guess.

-rusty

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to TWCdude
Is TWC SA going with The Ubee modem or SBG6850 for docsis 3.0?

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX
said by motorola870:

Is TWC SA going with The Ubee modem or SBG6850 for docsis 3.0?

Mine is and SBG5860.. Just installed today, a few issues at 1st but everything looks fine now.

Looks a bit like this
:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 57693 Kbps about 57.69 Mbps (tested with 2.9 MB)
Download Speed is:: 7043 kB/s or 7 MB/s
Upload Connection is:: 4896 Kbps about 4.9 Mbps (tested with 2.9 MB)
Upload Speed is:: 598 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Dallas, TX USA)
Test Time:: 2011-01-04 11:08:58 GMT -7
Validation:: »testmy.net/db/JP400X13W&q2=BHRLO ··· dual=yes
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C) [!]
--
da Cajun Darn I hate Malware

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

1 edit
Do you know how to find out your upstream channel info? Im on 33MHz which is channel ID: 2.

zibbledurts

join:2011-01-05
Huntersville, NC
reply to DaveDoug
I tried to use the admin/cableroot combo with no luck. Does anyone else know of the admin/password combos for TWC's DDW3611? I called tech support and they said they aren't allowed to give them out.

I am able to get in with user/user, but that only gives me about 80% or so of the features, based off of the screenshots I've seen so far.

Also, does anyone have a soft copy of the documentation (e.g., user guide, etc.) for this device? Ubee's site is only showing the Data Sheet for this model. Thanks guys!