share rss forum feed

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX

2 edits

[TWC] DCX3200 --- QUESTIONS AND ISSUES

I was just issued a Motorola DCX-3200 HD Set Top Box by TW from the North Texas Irving Site on Royal Lane.

The Info on the box is: DCX3200/7380/003
Platform ID 2051 Phase 1

I upgraded to this box because I now have a Sanyo HD Flat Screen TV (DP42840), and wanted to watch my "FREE" HD channels. I'm not yet sold on any super-advantage to using the HDMI cabling, other than it's "just one cable for Audio and video". TW issued me the component cable, and so that's what I'm using into the TV. I usually do not run the Stereo Receiver when watching TV, but the Surround Sound of the Digital Music Channels is nice with that.

My old Box, the DCT2524, gave a constant display of the channel number on the box.

I was wondering if the DCX3200 will display the channel number on the box, or not.

And, if not, what is a good HD box from TW that will display the channel number on the box ?

On the Time-Warner Online "All Equipment and Instruction Manuals FAQs" Page, there is no listing for the DCX3200. I was not given a manual when I was issued the box. Are there manuals for this box from TW available ?

»www.timewarnercable.com/dallas/s···uipmenta

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
Irving, TX
Just for Fun, I made use of the TW chat function on their website, to inquire about the DCX3200, and whether it would display the channel number on that box.

As I well expected, the "Analyst" (It's what they're actually called on that Page...) "jumped" right to their "generic" answer, for such Box questions, and gave me the wrong answer. He referred to and referenced the User Guide for the DCH3200.

After I clearly pointed out I was not being given information for the DCX3200, I got the professional response that I knew was coming:

I am sorry. Not all the models of the cable boxes are available on the webpage.

I am unable to find the information you are looking for.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

I noted my dissatisfaction in the TW Online survey that I got to fill out after my Chat Session with the Analyst.

I know my concerns will get top attention right away....

Or, maybe Not !

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
join:1999-12-20
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Unbundled
Not from TW, but there are several data-sheet downloads at this link:

»www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/···00_US-EN

By the way, I know you have a good reason, but why is the on-box channel display important? It's been a long time since I've seen one with that feature. Brings back some fond memories. :-)

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to Unbundled
You won't find the DCX3200 manual to be of much help. The manual you need is for the guide software on the box.

More than likely you have the iGuide software by Rovi.

You'll probably find this of more help then:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···_i-Guide
especially this part:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···_Display
--
If it's important.... back it up.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

reply to GNH
said by GNH:

By the way, I know you have a good reason, but why is the on-box channel display important? It's been a long time since I've seen one with that feature. Brings back some fond memories. :-)
It's just how I Roll . . .

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
join:1999-12-20
Arlington, TX
Works for me. :-)

pete907

join:2007-02-02
Harbor City, CA

2 edits
reply to Unbundled
I have the DCX3200, and there isn't a time/channel display, just a power and data indicator and no button functions. The DCX3400, similar to the DCX3200, has a digital display but its a DVR. There is a DCH3200, non-DVR.

DCX3400 (DVR):
DCH3200 (non-DVR):

Call TWC or go to your local TWC store and ask what boxes are available.

I prefer the DCX3200 because of the native resolution feature, picture quality looks better on native than having the box displaying one resolution (720p or 1080i), IMO.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Unbundled
I went by the Irving Office today on Royal Lane, and they said that at this time, there NO other HD boxes available from that office, except for the DCX-3200 (non-HD-DVR boxes that is).

The clerk also stated that she has NEVER seen a User's Guide for the box.

So, after the DCX-3200 being issued by TW, for over a year, there is still no user's guide in print, or online, from TW.

What Service ! !

She referred me to the Motorola site.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
said by Unbundled:

I went by the Irving Office today on Royal Lane, and they said that at this time, there NO other HD boxes available from that office, except for the DCX-3200 (non-HD-DVR boxes that is).

The clerk also stated that she has NEVER seen a User's Guide for the box.

So, after the DCX-3200 being issued by TW, for over a year, there is still no user's guide in print, or online, from TW.

What Service ! !

She referred me to the Motorola site.
AGAIN, any manual for the DCX3200 will be a let down as it won't cover the guide which is where all the settings and options are.

You'll get a few descriptions of how to wire it, not much more.

Here's Motorola's page on the DCX3200:
»www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/···0_US-EN#

Here's the users guide for the DCX3200:
»www.motorola.com/web/Business/Pr···aleId=33
--
If it's important.... back it up.

SGVdude884

join:2010-08-24
reply to Unbundled
The DCX-3200 P1 does not have a time/channel display, while the DCX-3200 P2 does. Not sure why they didn't include the display for both.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
Irving, TX
said by SGVdude884:

The DCX-3200 P1 does not have a time/channel display, while the DCX-3200 P2 does. Not sure why they didn't include the display for both.
Thanks, that's good to know. I will look for the P2 (Phase 2, I assume...).

BTY,

I was not getting all of my HD channels with the DCX3200.... I got the "One Moment Please" Message with the Reference Code: S0600
And, the Yellow Data Light on the box continuously flashed -- for days on end.

I tried the soft reboot.

Then, a day later the TW rep gave my box a soft hit.

Then, a day after that, I unplugged the box and tried to get a box with a channel display, but returned my box an hour later, as there were no other HD box models available at the Irving office.

Finally, today, Tech Support gave my box a Hard Hit, and, 15 minutes later, I had all of the HD channels.

And, the yellow Data light is not now flashing.

So now, I can watch some playoff Baseball in HD !

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Unbundled
I helped a friend of mine's parents get their Plasma TV to show HD from the their HD cable box, by connecting the HDMI cable that they already had, which was not being used.

What was interesting, is that they had had their cable box a long time.... and they had the DCH3200 ! ! !

Not only did that box show the cable channel, but it also showed the lines of resolution. At one point it showed "720".

I guess the new-fangled DCX3200 won't be doing that !

BTY, I told them that if they ever give up cable, that I want to go with them to turn in their cable box, as I will be expecting to turn in my DCX3200 in exchange for the DCH32300 !
--
A La Carte Cable Choice is the ONLY Choice I'm Interested in ! ! !

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
you have native passthrough though and less space required to put it on plus it is MPEG4 capable and on the TWC corporate website it mentions when ESPN3D comes out you need a DCX3200/DCX3400 box in motorola areas to watch it.

»www.timewarnercable.com/corporat···o-obtain

most likely MPEG4 will be used on 3D channels when they come out.