Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Wine (unbuntu 10.04 LTS), no tcp/ip connection setup?

#1 I downloaded the exe program that is talked about in »/faq/7553

#2 When I tried to run it with Wine, it said

Setup has detected that the TCP/IP network protocol is not installed on this computer. Please install the TCP/IP network protocol, reboot your PC, and restart Setup.

#3 Which is strage, because for example I can run the IE v6 ( »appdb.winehq.org/objectM ··· &iId=469 ), but Wine did not give any errors about TCP/IP protocol.

--

#1 Please tell me if you have any ideas, about what is going on and why.

#2 Please tell me if you have any ideas on how to fix it.

Thanks.

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen

Hi,

First thing I try to switch if an application fails to setup/run is the Windows version being run as. Try Win98 ==> XP in the wine config. Try NT too, that seems to be fairly compatible if others fail.

You might try posting the version of wine your using (stock or compiled) and maybe try running the app in another front end for wine, like PlayOnLinux or winedoors (?? I think that's the name).

What are the stated system requirements for the .exe?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by TuxRaiderPen:

What are the stated system requirements for the .exe?
How do I find that out?
said by TuxRaiderPen:

Maybe try running the app in another front end for wine, like PlayOnLinux or winedoors (?? I think that's the name).
About PlayOnLinux: Do you suggest using the verison that I download with Synaptic Package Manager OR the one that I download directly from the PlayOnLinux web site?
said by TuxRaiderPen:

You might try posting the version of wine your using (stock or compiled).

I downloaded & installed it with Synaptic Package Manager. Would you advise me to download & install, it another way?
said by TuxRaiderPen:

First thing I try to switch if an application fails to setup/run is the Windows version being run as. Try Win98 ==> XP in the wine config.
I have it setup for Windows XP. You are suggesting, go back to Win98?

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen

said by aefstoggaflm:

How do I find that out?
Check the page or manufacturer's website for the executable file you downloaded, I didn't see an official sysreq description, but maybe the manufacturer has one listed.
said by aefstoggaflm:

About PlayOnLinux: Do you suggest using the verison that I download with Synaptic Package Manager OR the one that I download directly from the PlayOnLinux web site?
That's up to you. The latest one's been better for me. Sometimes things hang on POL (installer screens etc...), so be patient with messing around with it.
said by aefstoggaflm:

I downloaded & installed it with Synaptic Package Manager. Would you advise me to download & install, it another way?
You're fine, I was just curious if you were using a development version.
said by aefstoggaflm:

Yes. Try the different versions of Windows it lists, sometimes I get things to run better in NT or 2000, or even 98 - that's why I was asking for the system requirements for the executable file - it may list XP but actually runs in wine under NT.

Another couple things to rule out is:

1. Just in case you're running 64 bit, install the 32 bit libs - possible networking failure (older versions of wine), also install any windows DLL's the program may need.

2. Make sure your main OS can resolve DNS correctly /etc/resolv and /etc/hosts - (you never know)

JollyNoops
@eliablehosting.com

JollyNoops to aefstoggaflm

Anon

to aefstoggaflm
Run it on a Windows box and tcpdump the traffic (or windump) and see what it's doing. Wonder if it's SNMP; bet it is. I did the same with my Speedstream 5200's series and got the MIB/OIDs I needed and now just use snmpget with mrtg/etc to do even more than a one-time snapshot.

"Reverse" it

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to TuxRaiderPen

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen
said by TuxRaiderPen:
said by aefstoggaflm:

How do I find that out?
Check the page or manufacturer's website for the executable file you downloaded, I didn't see an official sysreq description, but maybe the manufacturer has one listed.

#1 I went to Westell.com -> Support.

#2 In my case, I selected the B90-200010-04.

#3 Since I have the Firefox add-on gPDF when I clicked on Documentation, it took me to

»docs.google.com/viewer?u ··· ome=true

Please tell me if you see any system requirements for running that tool. I sure don't.
said by TuxRaiderPen:
said by aefstoggaflm:

That's up to you. The latest one's been better for me. Sometimes things hang on POL (installer screens etc...), so be patient with messing around with it.

Ok, I will kind that in mind.
said by TuxRaiderPen:
said by aefstoggaflm:

You're fine, I was just curious if you were using a development version.

I am using Verison 1.3.4
said by TuxRaiderPen:
said by aefstoggaflm:

Yes. Try the different versions of Windows it lists, sometimes I get things to run better in NT or 2000, or even 98 - that's why I was asking for the system requirements for the executable file - it may list XP but actually runs in wine under NT.
Ok, I will try that soon...
said by TuxRaiderPen:

1. Just in case you're running 64 bit, install the 32 bit libs - possible networking failure (older versions of wine), also install any windows DLL's the program may need.
I am not running 64 bit, but if I was I would kind that in mind.
said by TuxRaiderPen:

2. Make sure your main OS can resolve DNS correctly /etc/resolv and /etc/hosts - (you never know)
This is what I have in those locations..

anon 595148
@verizon.net

anon 595148 to JollyNoops

Anon

to JollyNoops
said by JollyNoops :

Run it on a Windows box and tcpdump the traffic (or windump) and see what it's doing. Wonder if it's SNMP; bet it is. I did the same with my Speedstream 5200's series and got the MIB/OIDs I needed and now just use snmpget with mrtg/etc to do even more than a one-time snapshot.

"Reverse" it
I am posting as anon, since I do not to log-in in right now.

As you requst, but I did it my sniffing with Wireshark.

Chech attached file.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to JollyNoops

Premium Member

to JollyNoops
said by JollyNoops :

"Reverse" it
#1 I know I have to have this computer connected to

a) the modem

b) OR connected to a Hub and then the Hub is connected to the modem.

#2 Should I re-run the tool, but this time the modem connected to the phone line?

#3 Here is my data, filtered only for 192.168.1.1, that I got last night...

2westell modem.pcap
703 bytes
(2westell modem.pcap.zip)

#4 Sample screen shot..

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet

MVM

from the outside looking in -- there appears to be a slight misunderstanding in steps here.

what is being suggested will take one of the following combinations:

(a) two machines -- one running windows, one with linux and tcpdump/wireshark
(b) one machine -- running windows and wireshark

the above could also be done with a series of virtual machines -- but lets not complicate the matter.

using the windows machine, you need to have the computer polling the modem using the modem tool. you'll also need to run wireshark at the same time to capture said packets. using windows -- wireshark will work correctly as the packets will be unicast and wireshark will capture the output directly. using two machines, a *hub* will need to be attached between the modem and the computers (or a managed switch capable of "span" sessions between ports). the same principle applies though; the windows machine will poll the modem and the linux machine will listen for the packets.

once that information has been found -- you'll look for something regarding snmp (udp/161, udp/162, usually). based on the information, you may see the snmp string/oid (usually a long set of decimal delimited numbers). if you find the snmp oid, you can import the mib data and the snmp oid into your favourite open-source management tool and not have to use the win32 exe file.

q.
turkfizzle
join:2010-09-21
somalia

turkfizzle to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
did you try to ping it? sometimes that helps

shdesigns