All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hemlockz
join:2010-01-18

hemlockz

Novatel Ovation MC760 GPS

Has anyone accessed the GPS that is advertised with the MC 760 Broadband2Go modem? Just looking for my lat/long coordinates *on linux.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

I think that feature is disabled on the VM version of the MC760
hemlockz
join:2010-01-18

hemlockz

I've found bloggers who say its only available on Sprint, too. I wonder why would this even matter? If it actually has a GPS instead of just 3g triangulation the provider wouldn't matter and you should be able to use the GPS without a 3G connection. I just can't figure out why they would have any reason to disable the builtin GPS, but if its diaabled with a firmware value maybe it can be flipped back on. Just wondedring if anyone has looked into any more because Google isn't turning much up.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

There are SEVERAL features that are disabled in the VM version of the Novatel 760 Series.
GPS is one of them.

##DATA# and ##RTN# require the MSL code (which Virgin won't give you)... Sprint will.
colorbars
join:2003-03-20
USA

colorbars

Interesting. ##DATA kills my device. Doesn't seem to matter what number I enter. The only solution is a power cycle. ##RTN works fine and doesn't require any information to be entered.

Naturally YMMV.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

You must have the CORRECT MSL code for those to work. ##RTN will let you see stats for the modem, but wont let you RESET it without the MSL.
said by colorbars:

Interesting. ##DATA kills my device. Doesn't seem to matter what number I enter. The only solution is a power cycle. ##RTN works fine and doesn't require any information to be entered.

Naturally YMMV.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to compuguybna

to compuguybna
Besides ##DATA and ##DEBUG what other commands work with the MC760, anyone know?