uniqs

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig

Premium Member

Refrigator evaporator fan

What would happen if I was to remove/disconnect the evaporator fan/motor from the refrigator?
It's making a lot of noise.
What purpose does it serve, I never see water in the water tray?
31012826 (banned)
join:2010-10-14
Time Ether

31012826 (banned)

»fridgeman.wordpress.com/ ··· tor-fan/

Bornloser
join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH

Bornloser to The Pig

to The Pig
The evaporator fan (located in the freezer) circulates cold air in the freezer and into the fresh food compartment. The condenser fan (by the compressor) keeps the compressor cool and displaces heat on the condenser coils. The fan also helps evaporate water in the drain pan. You will rarely see water in the drain pan unless you catch it right after a defrost cycle.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
Air flow is critical in refrigeration systems. Shutting down a fan will cause unacceptable performance, to the point the refrigerator will stop cooling and freezing. Eventually you will ruin other components, such as the compressor. Do not disconnect the fan, rather, replace it with a new part. They are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace in most cases. Do a web search for parts for your model refrigerator.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

2 edits

The Pig

Premium Member

Re: Refrigator condenser fan

Thanks everyone!
I called it wrong, it is the condenser fan, I edited the post topic to reflect this!
I just bought a new fan (blades) from Ebay when it comes I will replace that part if it continues I will buy a new motor also!
Before I went to bed I tapped on the blades thinking they where lose and the noise stopped until this morning, maybe the hole that slips on the motor got to big (worn out) to stay in place.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

1 edit

TheMG

Premium Member

I doubt anything is wrong with the blades.

More than likely the bearings on the motor are dry and worn out. Happens all the time with these cheap shaded pole motors.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

1 edit

The Pig

Premium Member

The blades are made of plastic.
But as said in earlier post I'll do the blades first then the motor.
If the noise starts up before the new blades come I'll oil the motor somehow and see what that does! As a matter of fact I'll oil the motor when changing the blades, if the bearings are shot then I will have no other choice but to change out the motors!