Premium
join:2000-03-18
Griffin, GA

1 edit

How fast is Uverse internet speed

Speakeasy

Click for full size
Comcast
I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to figuring Mbps, KBps or whatever. But here are a couple of speed tests I did.

Speakeasy speed test

Download Speed: 91.44 Mbps
Upload Speed: 3.78 Mbps

Comcast speed test

Download Speed: 93.52 Mbps
Upload Speed: 3.76 Mbps

So would I be able to get these speeds with Uverse?

My neighbor told me that an ATT tech was using a measuring wheel device to figure distances in our yards and also marking
off lines with some flags stuck in the ground. The tech said that a new Uverse box was going to be placed near the street between our yards. The box would be about 100ft from my house.

But that was a couple of months ago. Haven't seen anything happen yet. I have internet access through Comcast, and TV through Direct TV. But my account with Direct ends in July 2011. And I'm not interested in keeping them. So I thought about Uverse. Don't keep a landline, we use our ATT cells.
--
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long
enough to make them all yourself.

Here's a couple screen shots.

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
join:1999-12-20
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
Maybe you moved a decimal point or two...

»comcast.usdirect.com/comcast-hig···et-.html

Go to »www.speedtest.net and post the link.

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
By the way, post the "forum link." Once you do, it will look something like the image, below.

AT&T must be making some of the changes they've been discussing. I'm watching Fox Sports SW (in UV's superior HD quality), and my speeds are usually around 12Mb when watching HD content.

Hope this is a trend. Nice.

C10Chevy
Premium
join:2000-03-18
Griffin, GA
Big difference between speakeasy and comcast speed tests. I'm assuming that speedtest.net takes into account powerboost, which I didn't think of when I posted. But here is the one from speedtest as requested.

--
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long
enough to make them all yourself.

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits
Yeah, that's a PowerBoost issue. You won't get speeds anywhere close to that with Uverse, as the product is currently marketed. For us, we decided picture quality and better up-time were more important than the wide-band speeds; we use TWRR as a back-up WAN. TWRR has a similar [triple-play] product in our area, but we're not interested at this point. It all comes down to your needs. If you need the speed, I wouldn't change, regardless of your loop length. [Best you can do is 24/3. As for PQ, as mentioned above our current PQ is better than the dish and TW {in our area}.]

Best of luck with your decision.

[edit]

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to C10Chevy
First thing's first, those are Not your actual speeds with Comcast. That is powerboost, which other than skewing speed tests, is only useful for about the first 10MB of any file you download. After that if you're lucky you'll get whatever speed you actually pay for.

With U-verse, you will get a solid 11.5Mbps, 17.3Mbps, or 23Mbps, depending on the tier you go with. Though, if you watch the U-verse TV, it will slow it down. I dropped the TV because of that and other reasons.

Second thing, I switched from U-verse to DISH so I can record 4 HD without slowing my Internet, DISH DVR is far superior with faster response time, more options, external hard drive support, can actually have more than one DVR, and to top it all off there was a substantial increase in PQ in switching from U-verse to DISH.

doublea

join:2007-06-04
Petaluma, CA
said by WhyMe420:

First thing's first, those are Not your actual speeds with Comcast. That is powerboost, which other than skewing speed tests, is only useful for about the first 10MB of any file you download. After that if you're lucky you'll get whatever speed you actually pay for.

With U-verse, you will get a solid 11.5Mbps, 17.3Mbps, or 23Mbps, depending on the tier you go with. Though, if you watch the U-verse TV, it will slow it down. I dropped the TV because of that and other reasons.

Second thing, I switched from U-verse to DISH so I can record 4 HD without slowing my Internet, DISH DVR is far superior with faster response time, more options, external hard drive support, can actually have more than one DVR, and to top it all off there was a substantial increase in PQ in switching from U-verse to DISH.
This is why I kept directv even after my directv contract expired. Paying for internet that slows down with HD tv, no thanks. For some this may be a non issue, but to me why deal with it.

Directv is expensive. ($73 for 1 HD receiver, no DVR, Choice Xtra package) I know I could probably get uverse tv for less. I am mad to see now that directv offers free HD for life to new customers, but not us (the current customers.)

Tanshin

join:2009-07-18
West Simsbury, CT
reply to C10Chevy
Yeah, that is definitely some Powerboost inflation. A nice tool that measures how much your line is "shaped" by boosting technology and what your true speeds is: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

Run that and let us know what you get.

WhyMe420
Premium
reply to doublea
said by doublea:

said by WhyMe420:

This is why I kept directv even after my directv contract expired. Paying for internet that slows down with HD tv, no thanks. For some this may be a non issue, but to me why deal with it.

Directv is expensive. ($73 for 1 HD receiver, no DVR, Choice Xtra package) I know I could probably get uverse tv for less. I am mad to see now that directv offers free HD for life to new customers, but not us (the current customers.)
Yup I couldn't stand the TV slowing down my Internet, among other things, and amazingly, for me DISH is cheaper than U-verse even without the promotions. Then again I got the free HD for life.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
The slowdown bothered me at first but the worst it can get for me is 13Mbps. Which is faster than anything else I can get where I am. Also, the upload isn't impacted at all.

doublea

join:2007-06-04
Petaluma, CA
said by Michail:

The slowdown bothered me at first but the worst it can get for me is 13Mbps. Which is faster than anything else I can get where I am. Also, the upload isn't impacted at all.
You have a point, for most of us coming off of old slow dsl, going to uverse is nice, and with 13mbps still, you can't really complain.

But I will continue to fight my point, if I can keep directv and never worry about slowdowns, i will keep directv.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

1 recommendation

Y'all had me at "slowing-down" internet, then the real answer came from Michail See Profile. Coming from 6Mbps/Extreme, 13Mbps sounds beautiful. I have the U-Verse install tomorrow. I'll keep Dish for about another month just to work out the tweaks and figure out if I need to dump the Dish and keep UVTV or visa-versa.
--
That's Mr. Kafir to you.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
It was a tough choice for me between DirecTV and U-verse but I went with U-verse TV.

I'd probably have a harder time deciding between U-verse and Dish. Mostly because Dish has a better DVR than DirecTV and they also have BBCA in HD (which neither U-verse or DirecTV has). However, Dish is also having those contract disputes ...

WhyMe420
Premium
reply to ImpldConsent
said by ImpldConsent:

Y'all had me at "slowing-down" internet, then the real answer came from Michail See Profile. Coming from 6Mbps/Extreme, 13Mbps sounds beautiful. I have the U-Verse install tomorrow. I'll keep Dish for about another month just to work out the tweaks and figure out if I need to dump the Dish and keep UVTV or visa-versa.
13Mbps sounds beautiful until you pay for the 24/3 service and are only able to get half as much as you pay for. That's why I changed. I also came from 6Mbps "Extreme" AT&T DSL that was really only good for 4Mbps because my line was horrible. Now I get 24/3, quite a difference from 4Mbps/430kbps.

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits
reply to ImpldConsent
I hope you enjoy your UVerse service, and if y'all get a good install, I'll bet you'll be happy. We were dish users, too, and kept the service for a few weeks after installing Uverse. In an A/B comparison, our Uverse picture was better than the dish. I've even A/B compared OTA and UVerse picture quality, and there is only negligible difference between the two. In fact, most people can't tell the difference.

It's also nice being able to watch TV when it rains. Our dish system even lost signal when strong storms were south of our location. [Not good coming home to find a favorite program recording(s) black, because of a rain outage. That may have happened to y'all, too.]

We're on the 25/2 profile and we get every bit of bandwidth that we pay for... day in and day out.

Enjoy!

[If you have a monitored alarm, make sure you test it before the installer leaves.]

[edits]

WhyMe420
Premium
said by GNH:

I hope you enjoy your UVerse service, and if y'all get a good install, I'll bet you'll be happy. We were dish users, too, and kept the service for a few weeks after installing Uverse. In an A/B comparison, our Uverse picture was better than the dish. I've even A/B compared OTA and UVerse picture quality, and there is only negligible difference between the two. In fact, most people can't tell the difference.

It's also nice being able to watch TV when it rains. Our system even lost signal when strong storms were south of our location. [Not good coming home to find a favorite program recording(s) black, because of a rain outage.]

We're on the 25/2 profile and we get every bit of bandwidth that we pay for... day in and day out.

Enjoy!

[edit]
1.) OP never mentioned DISH, so you must be talking to me.

2.) I found the exact opposite for me. DISH is actually comparable to OTA for me, whereas U-verse looks terrible during any fast motion, due to it's 5.7Mbps bitrate cap, the picture is just starved, versus DISH Network's 8Mbps+.

3.) It just rained yesterday here, and not one single outage. So yes indeed it is nice being able to watch TV in the rain, because there's not much to do outside when it is!

4.) Congrats on getting the bandwidth that you pay for... You must not have 24/3 Internet then... (Oh wait of course not on the 25/2) so you must not have 18/1.5 either, or else I guarantee you watching 2 or more HD streams is going to slow you down. Hell on the 25/2, with the new 1SD/3HD, your bandwidth could get as low as 5Mbps if you were watching 1SD/3HD. But even with 2SD/2HD you're only getting around 9-10Mbps.