All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Jasonfn22
join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA

Jasonfn22 to caco

to caco

Re: Arris Tm722g emta now for sale at Best Buy.

The modem is not up on best buys website to purchase at a local store or online.As for the five dollar fee I would much rather pay and have my own modem and as for the replacement issue as long as you have the dang thing in a place where its at room temp and can breathe with signals as close to optimal as you can get them,you won't have any problem with the modem.People get on here all the time and complain about junkie equipment but always fail to mention the modem is out in the garage where its about 130 degrees with the carport door down during the summer crap like that.The install issue is a bit interesting though because when I was hooked up the tech or should I say installer had the internet up in a few minutes but the phone took about 30 to 45 minutes.I bought my own HSI modem and I had it working in about 10 minutes without calling anybody.On the activation screen it ask if its a EMTA or just a HSI modem so you better believe I will try before I call and have the tech sent out because that sounds like hogwash to get the install fee.They can get a ball park reading of the signals from the modem so that's crap as well.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by Jasonfn22:

The modem is not up on best buys website to purchase at a local store or online.

People get on here all the time and complain about junkie equipment but always fail to mention the modem is out in the garage where its about 130 degrees with the carport door down during the summer crap like that.
You won't find it online at Best Buy until it's available in most markets. Local is limited to certain markets.

As for modem location: you crack me up with the garage example. I'm sure someone may have theirs in a garage, but it certainly is not a common location posted in these forums.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

FWIW - I mounted them in garages all the time. Most of them were conditioned spaces, however. Fairly common practice when the customer needs an emta and a modem.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to Jasonfn22

Premium Member

to Jasonfn22
I had to have my tm722g emta installed. I got to the activation screen and it asked me for my account number. I entered it and it came back that their was no account with that number. I spent about 9 hrs on the phone with 3 or 4 different sections of comcast support. They could not get the phone to work.
I believe the installer today entered more then the mac numbers. It possible that their more to it when you have a existing account then a new account.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to beachintech

MVM

to beachintech
With your post, that's only the 2nd time I've read about a garage install.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

I had to have my tm722g emta installed. I got to the activation screen and it asked me for my account number. I entered it and it came back that their was no account with that number. I spent about 9 hrs on the phone with 3 or 4 different sections of comcast support. They could not get the phone to work.
I believe the installer today entered more then the mac numbers. It possible that their more to it when you have a existing account then a new account.
Yeah, there has to be a workorder in the system for that to work.

You need a tech on site to provision phone service.
beachintech

beachintech to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

With your post, that's only the 2nd time I've read about a garage install.
and that's neat, but as a tech, it's common.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
The emta needs to be provisioned into the switch and and another back end equipment database before it can connect to the telephony servers. Regular tech support does not have access to do this, mainly tier2 and dispatch DOJ will have the access. Takes all of 2 minutes if you have the access, but I can understand why they want a pro install only.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by noisefloor:

The emta needs to be provisioned into the switch and and another back end equipment database before it can connect to the telephony servers. Regular tech support does not have access to do this, mainly tier2 and dispatch DOJ will have the access. Takes all of 2 minutes if you have the access, but I can understand why they want a pro install only.
I found out the hard way that if you have phone service it takes a truck roll to get it installed correctly. It working ok now since the tech was here.
bsoft
join:2004-03-28
Boulder, CO

bsoft to beachintech

to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I did a self-install here in Boulder - Comcast sent me the eMTA. I did already have HSI and TV.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by bsoft:
said by beachintech:

I did a self-install here in Boulder - Comcast sent me the eMTA. I did already have HSI and TV.
If you are are a new customer to the phone service it might possible but you have phone service now and want to buy you own emta or use install theirs it not possible to do it yourself it will need a tech.