spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Pilgrim2
join:2002-02-26
Swanzey, NH

Pilgrim2

[modem/router] How do these stats look?

I occasionally see members here posting screenshots of their modem stats and "those in the know" comment on them. So, I thought I would post my modem statistics (Westell 7500 - 7000/740 package) and see what comments you guys/gals have on them.

No problems to report... just wanting to learn more about DSL after being on satellite for 7 years.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Stats look great. Based on attenuation you are less then 9,000 feet from the CO. Downstream and upstream margins are high minimizing problems with noise. Sync rates are a little unusual from my experience but I assume that is a result of using ADSL2+.

Lastly you have fastpath which reduces latency at the expense of robustness. Low latency is a benefit for gaming.

/tom
Pilgrim2
Swanzey, NH

Pilgrim2

Thanks for the feedback.
erikthebean
join:2007-06-25
Milford, NH

erikthebean to Pilgrim2

to Pilgrim2
Those are fantastic stats! Clearly FairPoint isn't using Adtran equpt. (sorry inside telco joke) Must be a new(er) Dslam.
Pilgrim2
Swanzey, NH

Pilgrim2

said by erikthebean:

Those are fantastic stats! Clearly FairPoint isn't using Adtran equpt. (sorry inside telco joke) Must be a new(er) Dslam.
Yes, it is only 2+ months old. All I know about it is that it is using "blades" in the main box.

I had asked a previous question here but never did get answer, so perhaps I'll ask again and hope someone can offer some explanation?

Why are the speed test results on testmy.net so much lower than either the Flash or Java tests everywhere else? I've chosen all the different 'sizes' with little difference in the results which average c. 5000 +/- kbps down vs. Java speed tests average c. 6700 +/-. I've run these comparative tests at various times too, e.g., 5 pm, 11 pm, 3 am, 5 am, etc., again all with similar results.

Explanation anyone?
erikthebean
join:2007-06-25
Milford, NH

erikthebean to Pilgrim2

to Pilgrim2
It might be due to where they are located...looks like they are using servers in Dallas TX (the planet colo) so could be latency/distance issue. Speakeasy w/ a new york server gives you accurate results do to our location.