how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

How to tell if you have a bad Modem

How can you tell if your modem is bad, mine is working, but the speeds have dropped in the last month. I have a Sierra Wireless 598 with the Millenicom/Sprint unlimited plan.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

take it to a different tower location and check speeds
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

Millenicom support told me that the ec/lo number would be high if I had a bad modem, it is -4, and I get -88 signal, but I get about half a meg download, also there isnt a way I can move it because it is a desktop computer and I don't have a laptop, also the signal flunctuates, but I have an amp. And the first 2 days I had very good speed, but I had worse signal, now i have better signal and worse speed.

tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1

USB extender cables are cheap and helpful in that situation. You can even daisy chain them together to go out about 15ft, but past that and you risk losing the USB signal since USB signals can't travel very far.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
reply to m12345s

Sounds like a tower issue . If using a mag mount antenna with your amplifier , make sure it is on at least an 8 inch by 8 inch metal surface . ( not aluminum or stainless steel ) that can cause you are describing as well.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

It is a magnetic mount antenna, but I am not sure if it is metal or not, the antenna sticks to it, but I don't know if it is metal or not, how can I tell? They also told me that my tower was the problem and that it was fixed Friday, but I haven't seen an improvement. Thanks

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

use a tin baking sheet or pizza pan or even a used circular saw blade to be sure