uniqs

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

So...

Don't buy it. Smartphones are not necessities, they are luxuries. I have one, and when my contract is up, I won't be renewing.

I'm looking for an alternative honestly because I could be using that money for something else other than a smartphone. Only reason why I even have a smartphone is for the google maps navigation, and the fact that I can look up any number on the internet on the fly without having to lug a phone book around everywhere I go.

I have facebook, and admit to using it on my smartphone quite often, but I don't NEEEEED it.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Re: So...

That argument makes no sense to me. Nothing is really a necessity, but food, clothing and shelter, but why in the hell would you want to purposely deprive yourself of something that you enjoy that you know you can afford? Me, I couldn’t live without a smartphone. You’d have to pry my Evo from my cold dead hands before I will let it go. It’s my mobile internet device, my GPS, my personal sports page with live audio and video, my mobile video device, my MP3 player and much more. But it’s not my phone. You’ll also have to pry my tough Motorola i680 out of my cold dead hands as well. It’s rugged, can take a beating and is my source for audio communication. I walked into the Sprint store in one day in June with an iPhone 3G and two 3 year old Nextel phones, and over $600 in phones and accessories later walked out with an Evo and 2 brand new Nextel phones, and a new $170/month rate plan with practically unlimited everything all three phones share. Plus the $110 ETF I have to pay for AT&T. You work for your money, so why not enjoy it.

I have one smartphone and one dumbphone and I couldn't even fathom not carrying two distinct phones around with me anymore.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

It does make sense though. Mankind didn't have a cell phone at one point, and got along fine. The problem is people complain about these stupid charges, yet continue to pay, which gives power to the carrier imposing the charge.

I didn't say you shouldn't have a smartphone if you can't afford the phone, my whole problem is with the whining and complaining due to stupid charges in place. Sure, I agree with more regulation to a certain extent, but honestly what needs to happens is people need to just stop paying, period. If you don't agree, then don't have the service.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

That point is so generic though. Man didn't have computers or cars at one point either. Should we all just be sharpening sticks to use to kill our food and grunt at each other? Technology advances, our way of life advances. The 'people didn't have X years ago and got along just fine' line is the stupidest thing around. We get used to things and expect to have them. I will own a smartphone for the rest of my life or until something better comes along. You don’t really know how much you miss something until you opt not to have it. And believe me I know. For the past two years I’ve been suffering everytime I drive, my previous car had a moon roof, when I got my new SUV I gained a lot of luxuries, but lost the moon roof. You have no idea the pain and suffering I endure on nice fall days like today when I could have the top open. I swear, I’m never buying another vehicle without a moon roof again!

And I tell you one thing, people need to shut their fuckin pie hole about Sprint's $10 Premium Data charge. Consumers are so damn greedy it's sickening. People need to stop think about themselves and put their meaningless lives behind those of corporations who make the world a better place for us to exist in. You know, it doesn't cost Sprint and Clear nothing to launch and maintain wimax, money for it has to come from somewhere. And I trust Sprint is using the revenue that is collected from the Premium Data charge to build up their 4G network so it will have higher penetration. I am DAMN PROUD to be paying that premium data fee, and to be providing support for the next great wireless data revolution! And those that say Sprint should only charge the fee in 4G areas, suck it! I don’t live in a 4G area, but I am in one two days a week for work and consume a lot of 4G data. How fair would it be to Sprint if I didn’t pay the fee, but continued to use 4G in the market to the east of me? Did anyone ever think of that? No! People are too busy thinking about themselves and bitching when they should be praising Sprint, but people are SO FUCKIN GREEEDY!