Good Evening
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
USA

1 edit

Trel

Premium Member

"dyndns" type use with a purchased domain

I have domains through godaddy, and hosting through a separate webhost.

I was wondering if there was any way to replicate the function of a "dyndns" service (hosting control panel is cpanel), and bind it to a subdomain on my domain.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by Trel:

I was wondering if there was any way to replicate the function of a "dyndns" service (hosting control panel is cpanel), and bind it to a subdomain on my domain.
dyndns has many services.

are you referring to the IP address syncing to a host name?

that way you are remembering the host name and not the ip address?

so if your domain is www.mysite.com you want to tie your home IP address to home.mysite.com?

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
USA

Trel

Premium Member

I wasn't talking about using dyndns, I'm talking about using my own domain and own hosting (shared hosting, with cpanel) to replicate the service for myself.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Since (at least the last I remember) GoDaddy doesn't offer any Dynamic DNS services (they want you to use them as a host, afterall), there's no 'simple' way to do it.

One workaround is here: »www.bunkerhollow.com/blo ··· dns.aspx

Of course the problem is you have to use CNAMEs to do it.

The only way to REALLY do what you want is to have some programming skills that can log into GoDaddy's web interface and manually update your information on a consistent basis.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to Trel

to Trel
Are you trying to point a domain.com to your sub.domain.com? I assume you are trying to take advantage of your host allowing you additional sub domains but not additional domains on your hosting plan. If this is what you are trying to do, you can forward your domain to the sub domain in your godaddy control panel. Your users will see the sub domain in the address bar though. Upgrade to a plan that has additional domain hosting or change your host.

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
USA

Trel

Premium Member

said by mikefxu:

Are you trying to point a domain.com to your sub.domain.com? I assume you are trying to take advantage of your host allowing you additional sub domains but not additional domains on your hosting plan. If this is what you are trying to do, you can forward your domain to the sub domain in your godaddy control panel. Your users will see the sub domain in the address bar though. Upgrade to a plan that has additional domain hosting or change your host.
No, I want to make a subdomain that points to my home server.
If I don't use my main domain naim, I do have access to editing CNAMEs since I have a reseller account and can manage any of my domains other than my main (including subdomains).

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford

MVM

This article should help.

»community.godaddy.com/he ··· icle/415
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to Trel

to Trel
Don't know what you are hosting on home server, but if you need a cheap host try here: »www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/

Every year or two I need a temporary host for special projects so I am always looking for a good cheap temporary host. Have used CookieHost and NetFirms for temporary host when they had year domain name and hosting for $10.

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop

izy to Trel

MVM

to Trel
Create an A record, point it to your home IP

Jahntassa
Premium Member
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to Trel

Premium Member

to Trel
said by Trel:

No, I want to make a subdomain that points to my home server.
If I don't use my main domain naim, I do have access to editing CNAMEs since I have a reseller account and can manage any of my domains other than my main (including subdomains).
Subdomain is easy then. The link I provided shows how.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Trel

Premium Member

to Trel
said by Trel:

Use the service like DynDNS that you like and then create a CNAM record for whatever.yourdomain.com to the dyndns domain.

$ nslookup something.my-real-domain.com
Server:         192.168.3.254
Address:        192.168.3.254#53

Non-authoritative answer:
something.my-real-domain.com      canonical name = whocareswhatthisiscalled.dyndns-remote.com.
Name:   whocareswhatthisiscalled.dyndns-remote.com
Address: 86.7.53.09

techjoe
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Lombard, IL

techjoe

Premium Member

Jahntassa & Joako are dead on. Without real direct access to your nameserver's zone file you have to use dyndns & cnames, or resort to a static IP.
appy0
asdf
join:2010-09-08
San Francisco, CA

appy0 to Trel

to Trel
NameCheap's FreeDNS can do dynamic DNS. The IP is updated with a client or you can periodically load a URL. You would have to use them for your nameservers, though. ..Or I suppose you could delegate the NS (zone) for your subdomain to FreeDNS (not sure if FreeDNS will let you do that). It's a pretty good DNS host for being free.

»www.namecheap.com/freedn ··· dns.aspx
»www.namecheap.com/resour ··· namicdns
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to Trel

Premium Member

to Trel
said by Trel:

I wasn't talking about using dyndns, I'm talking about using my own domain and own hosting (shared hosting, with cpanel) to replicate the service for myself.
i dont think i ever suggested that you used dyndns, i know you want to use your own name.

thanks for reading.

you do realize that dyndns has more than one service, right?

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
USA

Trel to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:
said by Trel:

Use the service like DynDNS that you like and then create a CNAM record for whatever.yourdomain.com to the dyndns domain.

$ nslookup something.my-real-domain.com
Server:         192.168.3.254
Address:        192.168.3.254#53

Non-authoritative answer:
something.my-real-domain.com      canonical name = whocareswhatthisiscalled.dyndns-remote.com.
Name:   whocareswhatthisiscalled.dyndns-remote.com
Address: 86.7.53.09

But I'm not what I'm asking.
I already use dyndns to resolve to my dynamic ip
I'm trying to NOT use their service and instead use the tools included with godaddy and my hosting.

Is that possible, or would I have to use that service?

(And as for dyndns having more than one service, I think it's obvious I meant the one to provide a name for a dynamic DNS, and further, I was just using them as an example of what I want to achieve, not saying I wish to use them)

Jahntassa
Premium Member
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Unless you can run a DNS server on your hosting, and set it as an active nameserver, no, you need a third party service to do what you want.

If you can setup a DNS server on your host, and set it as a Nameserver for your domain, then sure, you should be able to write some little program / script to update it.

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
USA

Trel

Premium Member

damn, oh well, it was worth a shot though.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by Trel:

just curious, why are you against dyndns?

it sounds like you can still use their service and create a couple of cnames, mentioned above, to do what you need.

also, dyndns can even run in some routers, meaning, you wouldnt even need to use the software on a PC.

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
USA

Trel

Premium Member

said by tomdlgns:
said by Trel:

just curious, why are you against dyndns?

it sounds like you can still use their service and create a couple of cnames, mentioned above, to do what you need.

also, dyndns can even run in some routers, meaning, you wouldnt even need to use the software on a PC.
I do run it in the router for three locations.
However, the problem is with two of them.

First is DSL, that one's fine as the IP changes pretty often.
Second is Cable, that one I could probably do manually to one of my domains in Cpanel/WHM, since the IP hasn't changed since it was started.
Third is a Fios connection. I've had the IP change 4 times in the past year. That's the problem one. If it's not changing every 30 (or was it 60) days, I have to remember to check an email I don't often check and fill out a captcha so it doesn't expire.
(So I could think of two solutions, find a way to do it on one of my domains without any service of DynDNS (or similar), or get the maker of the router's firmware to add an option to force an update every X days regardless of IP change (which I think is my next course of action)).
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i have had some issues with the dyndns option in the routers in the past, however, i run it in the router and on my desktop.

is the firmware up to date on that router?

good luck with the manufacture, i wouldn't even waste my time.

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
USA

Trel

Premium Member

said by tomdlgns:

i have had some issues with the dyndns option in the routers in the past, however, i run it in the router and on my desktop.

is the firmware up to date on that router?

good luck with the manufacture, i wouldn't even waste my time.
I use custom firmware(tomato firmware), so hopefully the programmer will be a bit more accessable.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to Trel

Premium Member

to Trel
Why not run one of the bajillion free dynamic IP updater utility programs on a computer at each site? It prevents the 30-day e-mail from ever showing up, and as long as the computer gets turned on it will automatically update your DYNDNS records. If it breaks, THEN you'll get an e-mail telling you something's wrong at that site.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i was going to suggest this but it sounds like he doesn't want a PC on all the time.

techjoe
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Lombard, IL

1 edit

techjoe to Trel

Premium Member

to Trel
nevermind

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to Trel

Premium Member

to Trel
I ponied up the $29.99/year for DynDNS Custom. It allows you to run your own domain name, update it with a DynDNS client, and it never expires.