88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to TheGhost

to TheGhost

Re: Joint Venture

said by TheGhost:

said by 88615298:

It seems everyone wants all their cable channels on the internet and avialable for nothing which is hardly realistic. You have to make chocies. Either pay the high prices the cable/sat companies charge or cancell and live with more limited choices. All these networks are going to go with the delivery method that makes them the best ROI. If offering stuff online ADDS to the bottom line, sure they'll offer it. If online becomes more profitable than the current methods of distribution you bet that's where they'll go to.
The thing is, they are already there - Hulu is just deciding what type of device you can watch it on.

I wonder if this is more of a network dig at Google (wanting them to fail) vs. actually trying to "protect" content. Some stated it works with Boxee, so how would a Google browser be any different?
I'm pretty sure the networks make more money via cable/sat or even OTA than via Hulu at this point.
TheGhost
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Lake Forest, IL

TheGhost

Premium Member

Never meant to imply that Hulu provided more revenue. I was trying to say it doesn't make much sense to stop someone from looking at something with one browser vs. another, if they are both showing the adds. Kind of like if they kicked someone off who used Opera, Firefox, or Safari.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv

Anon

said by TheGhost:

Never meant to imply that Hulu provided more revenue. I was trying to say it doesn't make much sense to stop someone from looking at something with one browser vs. another, if they are both showing the adds. Kind of like if they kicked someone off who used Opera, Firefox, or Safari.
They don't want to make it too easy for people with a real television to watch Hulu on that television. Because then they will not watch the original airing of the show and add to the ad revenue numbers, where they make most of their money from.

It sounds stupid, but it's not stupid to the people that want to make as much money as possible.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by skuv :

said by TheGhost:

They don't want to make it too easy for people with a real television to watch Hulu on that television. Because then they will not watch the original airing of the show and add to the ad revenue numbers, where they make most of their money from.

It sounds stupid, but it's not stupid to the people that want to make as much money as possible.
It makes perfect sense. If I could pay $10 a month and get every show in better quality audio and video on my TV without recording it from the local station, I would not be watching my local station anymore.