uniqs
Groty
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19

Groty

Premium Member

[Tomato] WRT54GL/Tomato 1.23/Wireless Ethernet Bridge to new E30

Hello, I'm glad I found this forum.

I've had my WRT54GL up and running with Tomato 1.23 for about 2 years now. The main wireless router failed last week and we upgraded to the E3000. I have performed a long reset on Tomato and configured it with the new routers security settings. Tomato is finding the network, however I can not connect. As is the nature with WiFi, there are no error messages or troubleshooting tips available.

The new Linksys E3000 is set up with WPA/WPA2 Personal Security and AES encryption. One thing I've noticed is that Tomato is seeing both the main and guest accounts on the same channel. Could this be an issue? The Mac Addresses, WAN and Wireless, are both in the Mac filter tables on the new E3000 Router. The IP address for the WRT54GL is within the IP range configured in E3000 as well.

I am extremely, (that should be emphasized) EXTREMELY, rusty on wifi networking jargon. It is very rare that I have to delve into this. Please dumb down responses a bit for me.

Here's a screenshot of the config as is, with security items removed for obvious reasons.

»i56.photobucket.com/albu ··· mato.png

Again, thank you for any assistance.
conwaytwt
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Conway, AR

conwaytwt

Premium Member

Re: [Tomato] WRT54GL/Tomato 1.23/Wireless Ethernet Bridge to new

Did you say you flashed Tomato onto the E3000, or are you using the stock firmware?

I have two WRT54G routers (one GL, one GS) with one as the router and the other as a wireless bridge. I was having some voip troubles and someone cast aspersions on Tomato, so I decided to switch to DD-WRT on the router to see if the issues got better. (They didn't.)

HOWEVER I could NOT get the bridge to connect to the router until I flashed the bridge with DD-WRT. I don't know why either side cares, but over the years I have confirmed that both the bridge and the router need to be using the same type of firmware or the WRT54G won't go into "WET" (bridging) mode properly. Usually you can be running different revisions and they will be OK, but you can't mix and match and have the bridging work. I have not yet tested this mixing different vendors' routers.
conwaytwt

conwaytwt

Premium Member

update: I see another person in this forum got a WRT54GL to bridge with some sort of Verizon router so it must be possible, but I could never get such a mixture to work myself.