how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BTM

join:2000-10-03
Acworth, GA

Looking for ISP options in the Acworth/NW Atl area

I've had DSL for many years, starting out with IDSL and slowly moving up to my current 6Mbs connection from Atlantic Nexus. I have always utilized the small/independent ISPs because I prefer to pay a bit more in order to have better customer service and more flexibility (I used to operate my own e-mail server, so needed the ability to have static IPs - this is not really necessary for me now).

6mbs is perfectly fine for the majority of the things I do on the internet (gaming, web browsing, work, research). But, I am starting to hit the performance limit for one specific thing: video streaming from Netflix and Hulu. I can generally get the highest quality level from my connection but I can tell that my connection struggles to maintain it.

What are my other options in my neck of the woods? I know that Comcast cable has internet here. How's their performance? Any other possibilities that might offer faster DSL? (I do prefer DSL connections over cable for their stability).

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

I know you prefer DSL, but if you want the fastest speeds Comcast would be your best bet.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to BTM

If you stay with DSL 6.0 is all your gonna get.

They lease ATT lines and dslam ports.

Tried Clearwire?
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

AtNex Admin

@net2atlanta.com
reply to BTM

The cable vs DSL advice is correct. If you are still interested in DSL, try www.AtlanticNexus.com. We're based in Marietta.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Nexus

said by AtNex Admin :

The cable vs DSL advice is correct. If you are still interested in DSL, try www.AtlanticNexus.com. We're based in Marietta.
He already said he has Atlantic nexus and wants more than 6mbit.

I have it and it is decent but still am waiting for dry DSL. Don't want to go to ATT/BS.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:13
reply to BTM

Comcast is very reliable where I live, speeds are pretty awesome as well. I get 20/3 for some low price since I bundled a bunch of stuff together.

BTM

Acworth, GA
reply to DeltaElite

According to their maps, I'm about 1/4 mile outside their coverage area.

Plus, I'm skeptical regarding wireless and gaming.

BTM

Acworth, GA
reply to odog

said by odog:

Comcast is very reliable where I live, speeds are pretty awesome as well. I get 20/3 for some low price since I bundled a bunch of stuff together.
What kind of speeds are you seeing on most downloads and/or video streams?

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI
reply to DeltaElite

said by DeltaElite:

Not 100% correct. We offer ADSL2+ up to 15.0/1.0, and SDSL up to 3.0/3.0

We do lease at&t copper/lines, but we have our own DSLAM.
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

NgtFlyer

join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA

I am currently a Speakeasy customer but I am looking to switch away from them and would love to deal with small/local ISP. Here's the tricky part: Right now I live in Marietta, couple of blocks from the square. I can SEE the AT&T CO from the 4th floor of my building. However, I am looking at moving to East Cobb in about 6 months. The tricky parts are:
I am an IT professional and I have servers. (2x DC, Exchange, Web, media, etc.) and I work for a managed services provider *and* like using Internet services such as Netflix and other video podcast sites as well. I pull *lots* of data. A 12x1 line sounds great, however, Comcast has up to 50x10 business cable in my area - I can get a 22x10 DOCSIS 3 business connection for $89/month + $19 for five static IP which is good value for money, much better than what I am paying right now for Speakeasy. I wish I was able to get an affordable solution that would offer more upstream speed as I often have to transfer data out. Right now, copying it to my laptop and running to the datacenter is much faster, but obviously very inconvenient.

Does Atlantic Nexus have anything in development that might compete from a speed/cost perspective?

Thanks.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LBDSL

said by LBDSL:

said by DeltaElite:

Not 100% correct. We offer ADSL2+ up to 15.0/1.0, and SDSL up to 3.0/3.0

We do lease at&t copper/lines, but we have our own DSLAM.
That DSLAM is co-located in the CO and that doesn't change engineering restrictions from the AT&T plant side. Line sharing w/ independents is a PITA and 2+ still can't touch cable. If uverse is avail in the area it still beats it. SDSL at only 3/3 is a waste of $. I'm not a fanboy, just a regular joe so this is not meant to be a flame.

I switched summer pof 09' and haven't looked back. Comcast runs great here for me.

This is w/ powerboost, my flat rate is 20/2, but I consistently shaperprobe test at about 21M down now. Just running a pc, laptop, ps3 & 360. Thinkin about upgrading to gigabit router just for the faster processor for streaming just like you, won't change DL or UL.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

1 edit
reply to LBDSL

Have Service in Covington,GA???