ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

[MA] Ballot questions

There are 2 questions on the MA ballot about taxes. Question 1 would remove the sales tax on liquor. Question 3 would reduce the sales tax from 6.25% to 3%. What do you think?

Liquor isn't a necessity. Keep the tax in place and put the money to good use. Removing or keeping the tax in place won't change buying habits. When the tax got put in place lots of blowhards said they were going to do all their shopping in 'tax free NH'. How many of them went liquor shopping in NH more than once?
--
Jocko Homo

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

1 edit
I haven't seen any numbers either way for how much sales went down in a typical liquor store after the imposition of the tax in the first place.

--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to vaxvms
Other than State Representative Michael Rodrigues? (who voted for the tax)
»wbztv.com/local/mass.rep.buys.2.1159069.html

Case of booze, case of wine every time I pass Hooksett.

One of the biggest complaints I heard from returning out-of-state guests this summer. It's already taxed (an excise tax on liquor sales of $4.05/gallon for spirits between 15% and 50% alcohol). Tax me 6.25% on my auto, boat excise tax and my property tax then.

You don't really believe this tax will be going to treatment for long do you? The Mass anti-smoking fund should be putting ads on once an hour on every TV and radio station state-wide with the $$$ they have pulled in.
Bastards... /rant

Sales tax? back to 5%, then we'll talk.

Insder
There never was a second I in my name
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Salem, MA
said by capecoddah:

Other than State Representative Michael Rodrigues? (who voted for the tax)
»wbztv.com/local/mass.rep.buys.2.1159069.html

Case of booze, case of wine every time I pass Hooksett.

One of the biggest complaints I heard from returning out-of-state guests this summer. It's already taxed (an excise tax on liquor sales of $4.05/gallon for spirits between 15% and 50% alcohol). Tax me 6.25% on my auto, boat excise tax and my property tax then.

You don't really believe this tax will be going to treatment for long do you? The Mass anti-smoking fund should be putting ads on once an hour on every TV and radio station state-wide with the $$$ they have pulled in.
Bastards... /rant

Sales tax? back to 5%, then we'll talk.
Reminds me of an article I saw in the Herald (different link here, the Herald decides to not archive anything past 7 days):
»www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new···posts#22

At least she did not vote for the sales tax increase, but regardless...stepping above the rules, I guess.
--
The one, the only, the Insder.