uniqs
share rss forum feed

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA

1 recommendation

[Cooling] How to remove algae from a watercooled system?

I've got a 7 year old watercooled system that I have had in storage for 4 years. Everything works perfectly but it looks like there's a bit of algae in the tubes.

It's pretty much hardwired in and I really don't feel like taking it apart. It's cooling the CPU and GPU using an old school external Corsair Hydrocool.

So at least the res is easy to drain out and such. I was thinking of running a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water through it for a day or so on idle. Any other suggestions?
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

If there's algae anywhere, it's already spread everywhere. You can try running a bunch of biocide/algaecide, but you'll have to find out if it'll cause any issues with the metals and plastics in your loop.
--
Please visit »libertynewstv.com -|- »innworldreport.net -|- »freespeech.org -|- »sourcecode.freespeech.org -|- »indymedia.org -|- »democracynow.org

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to cyrus360

You can soak the individual blocks in water with a few drops of bleach to loosen up the algae and make it easier to rub off, but there is nothing I know of that will flush the system on its own. Not without corroding everything anyway.

If you are seeing algae in the tubing, you can bet the inside of the blocks is gunked up enough to make them useless for cooling.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
Sedro Woolley, WA

It's actually giving me the same temps as it used to get. It's not too bad, you can barely see a few specs of algae in the tubing, but you have to get right up on it to see it.

It's not too big of a deal, it's more of a backup computer that the wife uses to surf the net and play casual games like Popcap and BigFish.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Parogadi
Premium
Racine, WI

It's alive though, it'll keep on growing. It can build up in the pump and cause it to fail.

Ray422
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

said by Parogadi:

It can build up in the pump and cause it to fail.
Not to hi-jack, but that would be my question. He can easily dis-assemble and clean the block, replace the hoses, and clean the reservoir, but what about the pump?

Can the pump be dis-assembled and cleaned?
--
Things I like - Team Discovery - Quads©3.3 to 4.1ghz - Strawberry Ice cream
How's That Hope & Change Working For Ya?

Parogadi
Premium
Racine, WI

I dunno, I've never tried to disassemble the pump.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Ray422

They are usually just mag drive pumps. Not much to them, you just unscrew the inlet, pull out the propeller, then clean it with a coffee maker brush.

BarneyBadAss
Badasses Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2004-05-07

1 recommendation

reply to cyrus360

Aye, so y'a got a bit of an a natural look in your machine do ya?

Knowing Algae requires "light" to cause the photosynthesis process and hence the continued life, one might consider getting some opaque covers and secure them onto tubes with perhaps Velcro strapping would certainly cause the growth to cease.

Of course, you 'll need to do something for your tank as well.

This won't cause the Algae to "disappear" but it will certainly prevent it from continuing to grow.

There are of course some obvious downsides, should you be successful in actually causing the said problem algae to actually expire in the tubes so to say (pun intended) then one might wonder if a collection off the algae particulate could gather to act as some kind of significant flow restrictor (in a similar way excess plaque in veins causing occlusion. ) Get enough of this buildup and we.... in us walking / talking / breathing carbon based life forms it's commonly refereed to as a "Heart Attack."

Damn it Spock, Im not a doctor nor an engineer!!!

Anyway you attempt to eradicate this it's going to be a difficult thing to resolve.

If your water blocks are complete metal, you could suspend them in a pot of boiling water ensuring they do not touch the bottom of the pan.

Sill you'll have the radiator; pump and tank to deal with...

Best o' luck.
--
---Barney

RavonTUS

join:2003-10-15
Lafayette, IN
reply to cyrus360

Greetings,

Try treating it like a swimming pool, maybe. Look in the swimming pool clearance isle for a pack of "SHOCK", granular form of highly concentrated chlorine. Mix a bit with your coolant and running it for 24 hours. Drain, rinse, try again.

Just a guess.

-Ravon

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by RavonTUS:

Greetings,

Try treating it like a swimming pool, maybe. Look in the swimming pool clearance isle for a pack of "SHOCK", granular form of highly concentrated chlorine. Mix a bit with your coolant and running it for 24 hours. Drain, rinse, try again.

Just a guess.

-Ravon
Its a good idea in theory, but I very strongly recommend against it. The various metals in the system will react differently to the chlorine, none of them in a good way. You'll very quickly end up with a concoction of that will eat away at either the CPU block or the radiator.

Parogadi
Premium
Racine, WI

said by Camelot One:

said by RavonTUS:

Greetings,

Just a guess.

-Ravon
Its a good idea in theory, but I very strongly recommend against it. The various metals in the system will react differently to the chlorine, none of them in a good way. You'll very quickly end up with a concoction of that will eat away at either the CPU block or the radiator.
^This. It''l more then likely destroy the system.

I've been looking recently, apparently a quick rinse in vinegar and the addition of a silver kill coil would help. The jury is out though on a high power UV filter like the ones used for aquariums. It might kill bacteria but may not be strong enough to harm algae and may even may it worse.
--
Please visit »libertynewstv.com -|- »innworldreport.net -|- »freespeech.org -|- »sourcecode.freespeech.org -|- »indymedia.org -|- »democracynow.org

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to cyrus360

Hehe, what about a radiator flush like they use on cars? Too strong I am guessing.

It's still going just fine. I will do another vinegar flush in a few weeks and maybe get some of that cooling fluid that's non-conductive and prevents algae growth.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

IGGY
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

1 edit

I'm a fan of PrimoChill PC ICE. I haven't been running my system for years but I've not come across any problems - build-up etc.

Which would you want running in your liquid cooled computer

»iggyz.com/?p=4072

I've changed a few things since I took these photos. But for anyone interested my setup is below.

Thermaltake SR200 Liquid Reservoir My liquid cooling system redesigned

»iggyz.com/?p=12672
--
Test PC Security
Cable Diagnostics
Blog
ZoneAlarm Help
Windows 7 Comcast Phone Power

chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Years ago, we had water cooled electronic systems that had to have non conductive distilled water. When crud started building up, we flushed the systems with clean water and Hydrogen Peroxide. Then we had to re flush with distilled water until the conductivity dropped to an acceptable value.

The systems were used for high power measurement of microwave devices. (KW, not mw)

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to cyrus360

Primochill ICE is crap. Use distilled water and a few drops of PetraTech's biocide, and you're good to go.

If you loop is already full of algae, you'll need to clean everything and do it all over again. I'd use fresh tubing and clean the blocks thoroughly with soapy water (opened).

This way you'll be sure you didn't miss anything!

IGGY
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

Interesting how you would jump down my throat like that. The temperatures my setup is seeing wouldn't have me calling the product crap by any means. I'm also not down with using toxic garbage. Especially when their is no need to.
--
Test PC Security
Cable Diagnostics
Blog
ZoneAlarm Help
Windows 7 Comcast Phone Power

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to cyrus360

You could try some of these.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.