All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned)

[request] Request for old layout

I here by request an option for us to be able to switch back to old layout for those of us that do not like the new one. If you agree, please sign.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

Re: Request for old layout

said by 40757180:

If you agree, please sign.
I don't, so I won't.

*object*

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 edit

2 recommendations

justin to 40757180

Mod

to 40757180
Not gonna happen

However - if you have layout skills feel free to spend several days producing a professional looking layout of "all forums" that is easy to use, gives good information to new users on what is actually IN each forum, responds well to changes in the number, and ordering of forums and groups of forums, works ok in narrow browsers, and wide ones, puts the most on-topic forums near the top and the more social ones near the bottom, looks good not just in one browser but in all, (ok, except MSIE 5). Works with color styles from mostly black, to mostly white and in between, And so on.

If you post that as a screenshot and actually have the HTML and CSS to back up the layout, and it is more functional and better looking, I'll be happy to use it.

However the old layout does not qualify. Nor does a huge list of links.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
ugh, people need to learn to accept change. If you don't like, click the back button

It wont hurt me at all to get used to the new layout. (there's probably ppl that still want the old site layout from 1999)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
The previous "all forums" overview page is still sort of available by using this modified [pick favs] link.

Just bookmark that link, and you can still find a forum without having to scroll through 20 or more screens (until justin changes it).
estover4
Premium Member
join:2004-03-16
Valencia, PA

1 edit

estover4 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I know you will not answer because you don't have a good one but I will ask again for the 3rd or 4th time; WHY?!? Going through the forums I do not see a uprising of people screaming for a new look. I am all for advancement, this is not.
I can not for the life of me figurer out how someone can think that an ever changing list of links is a good idea? When I view it on my 27 or 32" monitors it is completely different than on a 18.5". How can anyone think people will not tire of searching for something that should be in the same spot every time they look.
Do people actually enjoy when there sugar is in a different room every time they fill up there coffee, or that the gas door on there car could be in 3 different places depending on what gas station they visit?

The new layout is bad, admit it and move back to the old one until you can figure out a better plan. You can even use a bogas reason like it required too much in the way of processor usage or bandwidth so that you can save face.

edit: forgot vote! I vote yes!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

4 edits

19579823 (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180
I agree....

What has gotton into you Justin??

Are you thinking about taking this site down and decided to have some fun before you did by getting us upset?

It worked my friend!!!
said by justin :
However the old layout does not qualify.
It qualified for years,WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN DOES IT NOT??

95% do not like this change,why cant you see that?? (THIS CHANGE IS NOT BETTER)

Dont you care @ all what your members think? (I thought all these years i was your friend (I am trying to help you cause i like it here! (Dont you know i wouldnt steer you wrong? (This was a bad decision!!))))

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
I am all for progress and moving in the right direction, but sadly this layout is severely lacking. Calling it hard to navigate is an understatement. Not functional at all. Just adding my two cents.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Perhaps a trial run of the new layout to get input before an actual full out roll out?

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

It qualified for years,WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN DOES IT NOT??

Windows 3.1 qualified for years. It got changed and people screamed and cried to keep it the way it had been. I don't know anyone who'd like to go back to 3.1.

Try using it for a week before condemning it.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180
Wasnt 3.1 mostly command line??

Doesnt sound very easy to use! (Like Win98se is )
PURENESS1987
join:2010-06-12
New York, NY

PURENESS1987 to 40757180

to 40757180
violentlooker
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
I definitely liked the old layout better

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Just bookmark that link, and you can still find a forum without having to scroll through 20 or more screens (until justin changes it).
Well it didn't take long. Justin already changed the layout of the [pick favs] page.

Was this done out of spite, just because that page still mirrored the appearance of the previous "all forums" page, and therefore it had to go?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
justin, I love you and your site, but I don't like the new layout, I have to scroll a lot more now. I appreciate your reasoning, and I don't know what I would do without the site, but...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

justin, I love you and your site, but I don't like the new layout, I have to scroll a lot more now. I appreciate your reasoning, and I don't know what I would do without the site, but...
The very much increased scrolling is what bothers my stiff old arthritic fingers. With the previous "all forums" layout, I could see all the forums with a single "page up"/"page down" scroll with most of my systems and browsers. With the new layout, there are (depending on the system and the browser in use) typically more that 20 such pages to scroll through.

I actually like the appearance of the new "all forums" page, but the amount of scrolling required is for me sometimes a less than pleasant experience.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
I understand the goal and agree with it but not sure if I like the current format ... its just too busy and I automatically glance over the topic links.

I have an idea in mind, maybe I can show a representation of that. but I will need to copy all the forums and catagories -- no handy list around is there?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to NetFixer

Mod

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

The very much increased scrolling is what bothers my stiff old arthritic fingers. With the previous "all forums" layout, I could see all the forums with a single "page up"/"page down" scroll with most of my systems and browsers. With the new layout, there are (depending on the system and the browser in use) typically more that 20 such pages to scroll through.
I switched to your account and discovered two things, one is that you don't have a single favorite forum chosen.

Choose a favorite forum (you must have more than one) and you will find a different display to deal with.

As I've said a dozen times already, the "All Forums" page is designed primarily for new users to investigate all the forums the site offers without just seeing a long list of cryptic titles.

The other is that even with a narrow browser page, it is 10 pages of content, not 20, and the last two pages are ISP ad-hoc forums that are of little interest I suspect. With a wider browser page it is less than 10 pages, obviously.

Lastly, if you enable the navigation mini-bar you can place your frequent forums on it, and not use the "all forums" page in such a way (to jump from forum to forum).

Every time I post this, that people should use favorite forums, nobody ever says, well, you are right, I should pick some, and then comes back and says, well, you are right, it is easier.

They just reinforce each others complaints by quoting and +2'ing.

I get the impression a few members like to do things exactly the same way year after year and are against any change on principle.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

justin, I hope you are not hurt by what people are saying. Your new way is great when it comes to seeing shorts of posts for each forum. The problem with favorites is that some of us have a couple dozen favorites, but that is an entirely different issue too.

I've been meaning to that you for DSLR, your site is the best site on the interweb, and I will gladly live with this new form if I must. Hope you don't take what people are saying personally, I understand what it means, to some degree, to program for hours, days, months, years and when someone shoots down such effort its gotta be a downer.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 edit

PhoenixDown to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Its definitely a challenge ... I'm looking over that list of forums and seeing some I never even knew about.

The way I see it:

a) how to get the actual content in front of new and current users quickly?

b) how to do you get the breadth and scope of what a site like this offers in a functional and easy to find way?

edit to add:

I dont think you can combine 1 & 2 here... its too difficult, too many topics and forums. The page as it exists right how has information over load. I, nor anyone else, will sit and read through that.

At best, it should just be a list of the forums running down the left side and all new topics in the right side.

you can have bubbles on the topic so people click on the area of interest. something like:

* ISP Support
* DSL
* Cable
* Satelitte
* Wireless Broadband
* Security
* PC Help
* Social

Those are the main pillars.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 recommendation

justin to signmeuptoo94

Mod

to signmeuptoo94
No it isn't a downer. But thanks for your sympathy. It isn't the first time. It isn't even the 10th time.

The most rage occurs when a link is moved. It comes down to that. The rage is in proportion to the number of links that are moved, and the frequency of their daily use by the enraged.

Someone can probably invent a name for the effect. I am very sure the folks in charge of the look of Yahoo or Twitter or Facebook get these reactions x1000 for even tiny changes.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

said by justin:

The most rage occurs when a link is moved. It comes down to that. The rage is in proportion to the number of links that are moved, and the frequency of their daily use by the enraged.
LOL that is so true. And god forbid you change the color.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

color? This site is in color???

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90 to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
I like the new layout. Websites need to be refreshed from time to time to be made more functional. After looking at this new layout, it seems to accomplish that. Good job justin See Profile.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

apparently you are just a suck up

That is the thing with this (and other) changes.

I can't tell from these topics whether a change is welcome ("an improvement") or not ("a step backward") because for every change imaginable someone likes it, and someone hates it.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90

Premium Member

said by justin:

apparently you are just a suck up

That is the thing with this (and other) changes.

I can't tell from these topics whether a change is welcome ("an improvement") or not ("a step backward") because for every change imaginable someone likes it, and someone hates it.
I'm from New Jersey, if I didn't like it I wouldn't be shy about telling you.

I took too it right away. Like anything else, if they give it a week they'll see the advantages.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
One thing, I can't find the TV over IP forum, which head is it under?

Second thing, justin, did you just change the format again?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

It is in "Up and Running"
»Broadband Tech

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I found it right before you posted.

I will need to pay closer attention to forum group titles, or whatever you call them.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

said by signmeuptoo94:

I found it right before you posted.

I will need to pay closer attention to forum group titles, or whatever you call them.
Well actually the group is named badly.

I think everything in that group is on networking, except for General Questions which seems to be more of a random "Talk" type forum.

Also I added an "open all" link so you can still use Control-F