how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

Why is anyone still using AOL?

I do not mean to sound or seen as a troll but i really would like to know why people would still use AOL?

Is it because they are the only option available to you? Just wondering.

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

I've kept it because I just don't feel like changing and then having to e-mail everyone with my new e-mail account.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04

Expand your moderator at work

c1590

join:2010-02-28

Re: Why is anyone still using AOL?

The good thing about an @aol.com email is none of your family will ever pester you about fixing their computers.

scottshad

join:2008-05-03
pluto
reply to silentlooker

I love AOL, they have a great email system, with lots and lots of room. They offer all sorts of great sites, and personally I think their home page is 100 times better that anything else, including Comcast, MSN, Excite or Chrome.
My only problem with them is their help forums, you only go there as a last resort.
I have been with AOL since 1995, and will stay with them until the end of time or the end of AOL

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to silentlooker

Because the AOL cds are so tempting!

meshif
Premium
join:2007-10-08
Windsor, ON
reply to silentlooker

No HSI options in my mom's area plus a generous discount on AOL from CAW/Chrysler is keeping her with them until Cogeco/Bell move into her area.

meshif
Premium
join:2007-10-08
Windsor, ON
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Because the AOL cds are so tempting!
And when you come across an AOL floppy, well you just HAVE to
--
[quote=[url=http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22772205-]mrkevin[/url]]It only takes a man and a dog to run a DMS. The dog is to keep the man away from it[/quote]

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 edit
reply to silentlooker

AOL's still alive? I thought they died years ago.

Personally, I can't believe people would pay $19.95/mo for dialup.

EDIT: Their basic dialup package is now $9.95/mo for unlimited? When did this happen?

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to silentlooker

My Grandpa who will be turning 93 this coming January, will never leave AOL. He's got Charter Internet (High Speed Cable), but still pays the small fee to keep his live support.

I use AOL (free edition) because it's normally the only e-mail address he'll write to.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to c1590

God bless your grandpa

quote:
The good thing about an @aol.com email is none of your family will ever pester you about fixing their computers.
Ah man!!

zbestwun2001

join:2005-12-08
Van Nuys, CA
reply to silentlooker

Ah man!!
funny stuffffff!

sgtfrank

join:2000-09-04
Aurora, IL
reply to silentlooker

Been using it since 1984 and will continue to use it as long as it is there. I have Comcast HSI and don't need/use dialup but too much hassle to change email even tho I have 3 other addresses.
--
"Ol Sgt. Frank (ret).......

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to silentlooker

Nothing wrong with it right?

It gets you online

scottshad

join:2008-05-03
pluto
reply to Dude111

And AOL is coming out with a new email service that is supposed to be fast and combine all your accounts in one place.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

What version of AOL do you have mate?

I have heard that AOL7 CANADA is the last good version.. (MUCH LIGHTER ON COMPUTER,NOT AS BLOATED,ETC)

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to silentlooker

AOL 9.6 here

Versani

join:2009-05-27
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to silentlooker

My parents use to still have AOL. Then they found it that it's useless.

People don't know that they can KEEP their AOL email AFTER unsubscribing from AOL, and don't want to tell everyone their new email when they get a new one. But the fact of the matter is, they don't have to get a new email.

Anyone spending money on AOL, just know it's a waste. About 12 years with it (my parents.. I used firefox), my parents realized they can connect to the internet without paying EXTRA. My dad now uses Google Chrome and has gmail, and STILL accesses his AOL email.

No offense to others but I think it's just the older generation that won't get rid of it lol. AOL has features like a guideline and it's easier for them. You can go on any website, and you will find the same information and even better, without using AOL. (such as their news)

And yes it's not 10.00 a month, my dad got that offer after he tried to quit them.. but this time he did it for good. You would still save 120 dollars a year :P

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA

said by Versani:

My parents use to still have AOL. Then they found it that it's useless.

People don't know that they can KEEP their AOL email AFTER unsubscribing from AOL, and don't want to tell everyone their new email when they get a new one. But the fact of the matter is, they don't have to get a new email.

Anyone spending money on AOL, just know it's a waste. About 12 years with it (my parents.. I used firefox), my parents realized they can connect to the internet without paying EXTRA. My dad now uses Google Chrome and has gmail, and STILL accesses his AOL email.

No offense to others but I think it's just the older generation that won't get rid of it lol. AOL has features like a guideline and it's easier for them. You can go on any website, and you will find the same information and even better, without using AOL. (such as their news)

And yes it's not 10.00 a month, my dad got that offer after he tried to quit them.. but this time he did it for good. You would still save 120 dollars a year :P

You're parents got scammed. Firefox is free and always has been
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.com

Versani

join:2009-05-27
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by OldschoolDSL:

I think you misread. I used Firefox for free while my parents paid for AOL lol. I forgot to mention that... I wasn't implying I paid for Firefox.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA

said by Versani:

said by OldschoolDSL:

I think you misread. I used Firefox for free while my parents paid for AOL lol. I forgot to mention that... I wasn't implying I paid for Firefox.

Opps. Sorry.
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.com

djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
reply to silentlooker

OMG! I was just browsing the site and saw the AOL section and thought this same thing myself and was gonna post a topic like this. LOL! I see I was beat to it :P