maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

I made the switch.

I bought a new house this year, I finally own a little piece of the American dream myself. I was a loyal TWC customer for 8 years, but after seeing DirecTV at someone's house recently, and having heard that u-Verse quality of HD channels sucks compared to TWC, I decided to change providers and take on DirecTV.

I am not one of those "so long suckers" posters that hates TWC, because that is not the case. The fact that Orange, CA still was lagging way behind other cities in the same market with HD channel availability, and continued pixellation problems with certain channels made me want to look at something else.

I moved my existing TV to my new house, about a mile from where I rented. Had DirecTV for 3 days now, and I am stunned by the quality of the channels. HD quality is much better then TWC - on the same TV. My wife was actually asking me why we didn't get DirecTV before!

Anyways, what is the reason for the quality differences between the different providers? Obviously with u-Verse, they are just trying to push as much through the copper line as possible, and thus bandwidth suffers.... but I was under the impression tv-cable could actually deliver the best quality possible.

Also great: CBS is again on channel 2, and is in HD if you have an HD receiver, and in SD if you have an SD receiver.... not on 2 for SD, and then 402 for HD, which was driving me crazy

Oh, and I can schedule on the web now and do the whole home DVR thing.

I know TWC has that too (I think) but it was never available in Orange County.

ericn32
meh
Premium Member
join:2009-09-23
Costa Mesa, CA

ericn32

Premium Member

The U-Verse video quality depends largely upon your distance to the VRAD. My neighbor next door has U-Verse and the quality isn't bad, because we're both about 150 feet from the VRAD, which means one pair of copper can push ~70-100 Mbps, so less compression is necessary.

Personally, I would favor U-Verse over anything else available to me; where I am the quality is good, and the VOD is better than satellite, but I'm with TWC because they're cheaper for me (International OnePrice) and the HD content is comparable- and AT&T doesn't have BBC America HD, so that was an instant deal-breaker for me (SD doesn't do justice to the awesome that is Top Gear).

I wish you the best of luck with DirecTV.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

I did not go with u-Verse because of the limited amount of streams. I have 2 HDTV's in the house and 1 regular one, and although they could all be on at the same time with u-Verse, it will start taking away bandwidth from your internet line, which also has to go through the same line.

Most of all, the previous owner actually HAD u-Verse, and I talked to him.... and he said his three TV's would only get a reliable signal all at the same time, if he dropped his internet package down to the 6 Meg package.

That was enough for him, and he was happy - but not for me. So since I already have experience with a user in MY house, I decided against it.

DirecTV seems really good though, picture quality is great!

And guess what? I can actually qualify for the 24/3 Internet with U-Verse now that I am not ramming TV through there.... interesting, huh?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to maartena

to maartena
quote:
Had DirecTV for 3 days now, and I am stunned by the quality of the channels.
Ahhhh you noticed also huh??

Yup DTV is much better (Not as compressed)

Welcome to DTV my friend,what package did you get?

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
maartena, sounds like you made a wise move. Congrats !

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

quote:
Had DirecTV for 3 days now, and I am stunned by the quality of the channels.
Ahhhh you noticed also huh??

Yup DTV is much better (Not as compressed)

Welcome to DTV my friend,what package did you get?
Choice Ultimate + HBO + HD extra.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to maartena

to maartena
Excellent........ You will be happy with it