spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mgmgmg
join:2002-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

mgmgmg

Docsis 1.1 vs 3.0

I have the performance package 12/2 and we have the docsis 3 in my area. I just want to know is there any advantage for me going out and buy a docsis 3 modem? with the performance tier?

gchris2203
join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

Not really in my opinion..btw just an FYI you want atleast a Docsis 2.0 modem.

Some people say that there is improved stability with speeds on D3 modems. However you would more than likely be ok with a d2 modem because most people are.

That said if you do not already own a d2 modem and are trying to decide which to buy...if it were me I would go ahead and get the d3 modem just so you get it out of the way now.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to mgmgmg

Premium Member

to mgmgmg
Eventually your service tier's speed will exceed what the D1.1 modem is capable. Also, the D1.1 device won't handle IPv6. So if you are okay with the device being usable for a year, go with a D1.1 device. Otherwise, buy a new D3 device.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313 to mgmgmg

Premium Member

to mgmgmg
said by mgmgmg:

I have the performance package 12/2 and we have the docsis 3 in my area. I just want to know is there any advantage for me going out and buy a docsis 3 modem? with the performance tier?
I agree. Nip it in the bud and be done with it for the next few years and just go with a Docsis 3 modem right now. This is a good one: »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 5&sr=8-1

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to mgmgmg

Premium Member

to mgmgmg
I say that if you're getting your full speed on your current modem, keep using it until you need d3.
u3912974
join:2007-07-31
San Francisco, CA

u3912974 to mgmgmg

to mgmgmg
I think you need DOCSIS 3 in the future in order to be IP6 compatible
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

1 edit

nysports4evr to mgmgmg

Premium Member

to mgmgmg
I myself would just futureproof myself with a D3 modem (I got my SB6120 for $84.99 when my area was still D1.1, now in a D3 area on a D3 tier )

Not to mention the added benefit of having bonded channels which could reduce congestion if you have speed issues during peak hours.
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

DZS

SB6120 owner (D3) and I absolutely love it.

mgmgmg
Minneapolis, MN

mgmgmg

Ok so i found my old box for my linksys modem it says its docsis 1.0, 1.1 certified, docsis 2.0. Its a linksys BEFCMU10 V3. The reason I ask is on my modem page it says Docsis 1.1. But my speeds are fine no problems. So i quess this v3 is docsis 2.0.....

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7

Premium Member

said by mgmgmg:

Ok so i found my old box for my linksys modem it says its docsis 1.0, 1.1 certified, docsis 2.0. Its a linksys BEFCMU10 V3. The reason I ask is on my modem page it says Docsis 1.1. But my speeds are fine no problems. So i quess this v3 is docsis 2.0.....
That's right. That means the hardware can support up to 2.0 but Comcast is only running the 1.1 firmware. In a Nutshell when 1.1 is shut down your CMU10 will die.
curro
join:2003-10-24
Seabrook, TX

curro

I have the Linksys CM100 modem with the latest firmware (2.xxx if I recall correctly) which would make the modem a Docsis 2.0.

My current speeds with the 12/2 Performance tier are around 13-16 down and 1.7-2.5 up. I live in the Southeast part of Houston (Clear Lake area) and I have been told that Docsis 3.0 will be deployed in the next few months. So any advantage of buying the new Motorola SB6120 cable modem for like 100-80 bucks if I stay with the 12/2 tier?

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

said by curro:

I have the Linksys CM100 modem with the latest firmware (2.xxx if I recall correctly) which would make the modem a Docsis 2.0.

My current speeds with the 12/2 Performance tier are around 13-16 down and 1.7-2.5 up. I live in the Southeast part of Houston (Clear Lake area) and I have been told that Docsis 3.0 will be deployed in the next few months. So any advantage of buying the new Motorola SB6120 cable modem for like 100-80 bucks if I stay with the 12/2 tier?
I would say no though I have never been a very big fan of linksys modems period but thats just my personal opinion. Its really not worth the money if your not upgrading your package.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro

Thanks gchris2203 for sharing your opinion.

I just found out that my 'old' Belkin router is somewhat of a bottleneck: with my laptop connected directly to the cable modem a few hours ago I was getting like around 20-22 megs down but when going through my router setup the download speed drops to like 14 or 15 megs.

I have a Linksys WRT54G-TM router still in the box that I need to install to see if it makes any difference.

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

Well that depends if you are directly connecting to your router you should see speeds near what your getting off your cable modem however with a wireless connection depending on your hardware you could be seeing what your laptop would get regardless of your router.

If it is the router generally a firmware upgrade/tweaking settings fixes most issues.
Jasonfn22
join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA

1 recommendation

Jasonfn22 to mgmgmg

to mgmgmg
I would like to make this a little more simple,for anybody who can't figure out what modem to buy right this down.Ok when you walk out of wherever you plan to buy the modem or order I want you to think like this.If you walk out with a Docsis 2 modem on the way home your going to be asking yourself,well maybe I should have bought the Docsis 3 modem.If you walk out with the Docsis 3 modem that might cost a little more but offer possible bonded recieve channels,etc you will not be asking yourself anything on the way home because you will be certain you covered all your needs.Its that simple.Bonded channels are more stable my modem in 8 months has never tested anything on any site other than 25 down and 4.6 up with P/P.

I can test 100 times in a row nomatter what time and I will get the same results which basicly mean nothing but these numbers seem to make some ppl happy.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro

Ok, folks I can tell you with more certainty that indeed my 'older' Belkin G router (F5D7230-4) was robbing me of some speed. This weekend I made the 'dive' and installed the Linksys WRT54G-TM running Tomato 1.28 (Tomato USB flavor). Now I am getting more like this (I have the Performance 12/2 tier):

Instead of the previous 13-16 down with the same Linksys CM100 cable modem and Belkin router. Also wireless connections are more effective and I have more control of the transmission power and other adjustments.

It goes without saying that I am a happy camper and at this moment I can delay the purchase of the DOCSIS 3.0 modem until prices come down a bit.

shifty11
@comcast.net

shifty11 to mgmgmg

Anon

to mgmgmg
said by mgmgmg:

this is with the docis 3.0 sb6120 on the 12/2 tier.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7

Premium Member

said by shifty11 :
said by mgmgmg:

Speedtest Caching... Or abnormality powerboost...
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro to shifty11

to shifty11
said by shifty11 :

said by mgmgmg:

Do you consistently get these types of speeds on the 12/2 tier with the Motorola SB6120?

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

1 edit

Tordek7

Premium Member

said by curro:

Do you consistently get these types of speeds on the 12/2 tier with the Motorola SB6120?
I got my doubts... your quintupling the tier... only way that would work is either BT platform, OR being the only one on the segment (if it is accurate)

I still call caching on that.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to mgmgmg

to mgmgmg
i could only wish all subs had d2+ modems....granted the cmts has be configured for it, but adaptive equalization is a wonderful thing

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 edit

netcool

Premium Member

said by gar187er:

i could only wish all subs had d2+ modems....granted the cmts has be configured for it, but adaptive equalization is a wonderful thing
Yes, yes it is. It's especially interesting to look at the upstream in Scout/flux and see what the constellation looks like pre-equalization.

mgmgmg
Minneapolis, MN

mgmgmg

can someone post there speeds with a D3 modem on 12/2 tier and chose a server thats atleast 350 miles away... Im rdy to buy a sb6120.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

12/2 using an SB6120 with a server 350m from my location. Nothing stellar, but consistent:

This is also via wireless.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro

Thanks for sharing Johkal. I am on the 12/2 tier plan and I live in SE Texas. I get these kind of speeds with my Linksys CM100 (DOCSIS 2.0) with the following servers that are more than 350 miles away: Palo Alto CA, Denver CO and Clovis NM.

When the Moto SB6120 drops to around $60 it might be worth while for me to get it.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Before I bought my SB6120, I was using my trusty Linksys BEFCMU10 v4 that gave me the same speeds. I haven't been impressed with SB6120.
Jasonfn22
join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA

1 recommendation

Jasonfn22 to mgmgmg

to mgmgmg
Why does people keep asking this same question and it kills me that people still give the answer to not buy a Docsis 3 modem regardless of the tier.A Docsis 1.1 and 2 are a thing of the past.Its not like they are going to go back to Docsis 1.1 and Docsis 2 will be left behind as well.The modem could cost 30 to 40 bucks more and more than likely you will have receive bonded channels.Anybody who claims that bonded channels are not more stable then they need to quit posting responses because the info is bogus.If you buy a Docsis 2 modem you will leave wondering if you should have bought the other modem.If you leave with a Docsis 3 modem then you have the latest technology and no regrets for gods sake

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

J, your 'plight' has bought me to tears ...

mgmgmg
Minneapolis, MN

mgmgmg

I was told by a tech guy that you dont get bonded channels with 12/2 tier only ultra and higher. I have a linksys 1.1 docsis and get the same speeds as johkal with this modem...yea in about 1 yr this modem will be useless. This thread has to do with ONLY 12/2 tier..... So my point why buy a d3 modem if u plan in only having 12/2 speeds....

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

You do get bonded channels if your system supports it regardless of your tier. However you will not see much of a speed increase even with bonded channels due to your modem being provisioned for the speed tier your paying for. Some people say it gives them a more reliable and consistant speed which is believable and understandable.