spc
Search similar:

uniqs
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

Hitch to MS = FAIL

Crashes are what they get for using Silverlight on probably a Windows platform. Windows is not up to the task for heavy server loads.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

You realize Silverlight is an end station plugin? They could be running the video servers on *nix. I know of no requirement for Silverlight to be on the server.

I've found Silverlight to be better than Flash - when i use Windows Media Center it seems to use a flash plugin - it behaves better on my browser on the same machine.

Then again my Roku (old model N100) spanks my PC in pretty much every application of Netflix.
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

chimera4 to itguy05

to itguy05
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Netflix has been rock solid for running silverlight. They ran into some backend issues yesterday, but that has nothing to do with their choice of media player anymore than having a Verizon DNS server going down has anything to do with Safari.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Silverlight is a thin client platform, a rather excellent one at that.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to itguy05

to itguy05
nope, it can only handle events like the Olympics or other major sporting events where there could be a million people watching things, but when its streaming movies oh it cant handle the load..... please...... you have no idea how the windows streaming platform works... it's MUCH more advanced then a lot of the alternatives out there and silverlight, it just renders the output, the server itself doesnt run silverlight... it just responds to what the variable bitrate stream server is sending it

Anorexorcist
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21
Stamford, CT

Anorexorcist to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
LOL, itguy05 = fail. Time to brush up on IT basics.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

itguy05 to neufuse

to neufuse
The only reason the Olympics worked was because the whole shebang was run by Microsoft. We never saw how many servers handled the load, how they were configured or anything like that.

And I believe the NFL, MLB, and other sporting agencies use Flash or other forms to distribute their content. NBC is in bed with MS (Hence MSNBC) so it was only natural MS would make it work.

MS uses that same thing to sell Sharepoint - we run our website on it. Yet most Sharepoint installations are hugely cumbersome, insecure, and a mess to use.

Fact is Microsoft stuff has no place when reliability matters. You end up with way too many servers, way too many variables and less security.

Oh, and BTW: I know how it all works, thanks. I'm sure there is lots of MS code in the delivery of Netflix streaming. From the DRM to the authorization, etc. I bet it was a failure of this MS code that is the source of the issues.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Sharepoint is a different product line made and managed by different departments and people.

Granted, it can be difficult to setup but when architected and administered correctly it can be an amazingly flexible and customizable platform. It's not the best product for everything but it's hard to find another products that can do what it does. I also didn't care for the older version much but the product has grown.

It sounds like it was miss managed at your company. I wouldn't blame MS for that and then carry over the animosity to Netflix and Silverlight.
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

chimera4 to itguy05

to itguy05
It's true that we never saw how many servers took care of it. We also don't see how many servers take care of Netflix. This is because we are not the IT teams that manage these servers. Just like when building and supporting any large infrastructure project a skilled team that knows their products and goals well is vital. All your argument proves is that Microsoft can build and deploy a rock solid streaming solution using their technology. If they can do it, then it means the technology itself isn't the weak point.

All of this being said setting up and supporting sharepoint isn't easy. It's an extremely robust solution, but like all enterprise level products that means it is complicated. I wouldn't setup and configure a Oracle server to do something that Excel could accomplish, but there are some things that require an enterprise level backend.

This line is starting to blur now with the cloud based services that some of these companies are starting to offer. If anything it should be good news for you as Microsoft's Office 365 package (updated from BPOS) includes hosted sharepoint so your team will no longer need to manage the server itself.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to itguy05

to itguy05
you do realize that MSFT does not have any say so in NBC anymore and sold their stake several years ago??? The only thing NBC did was keep the the MSNBC name.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to itguy05

to itguy05
well it is nice to think you think they run all windows server solutions, since their caching servers all run Linux and almost all their internal distribution software is custom wrote... but lets blame it all on windows but then netflix.com runs on linux, movies.netflix.com is a linux server, widgets.netflix.com is linux, developer.netflix.com is linux... but lets just blame it all on windows

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

you do realize that MSFT does not have any say so in NBC anymore and sold their stake several years ago??? The only thing NBC did was keep the the MSNBC name.
Two partnerships with the names MSNBC and msnbc.com were founded in 1996 by Microsoft and General Electric's NBC unit, which is now NBC Universal. Although Microsoft and NBC shared operations of MSNBC cable at its founding, it was announced on December 23, 2005, that NBC Universal would purchase a majority stake in the television channel, which left Microsoft with 18%. The two companies remain partners in msnbc.com. MSNBC shares the NBC logo of a rainbow peacock with its sister channels NBC, CNBC and ShopNBC. MSNBC is available in over 78 million households in the United States; and between June 2008 and May 2009, msnbc.com had the most unique visitors among global news and current events websites.[7][8]

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to neufuse

to neufuse
I thought they used limelight for caching and not their own servers.
GLX
join:2000-01-18
Hoboken, NJ

GLX to itguy05

to itguy05
100% wrong.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

The only reason the Olympics worked was because the whole shebang was run by Microsoft. We never saw how many servers handled the load, how they were configured or anything like that.

And I believe the NFL, MLB, and other sporting agencies use Flash or other forms to distribute their content. NBC is in bed with MS (Hence MSNBC) so it was only natural MS would make it work.

MS uses that same thing to sell Sharepoint - we run our website on it. Yet most Sharepoint installations are hugely cumbersome, insecure, and a mess to use.

Fact is Microsoft stuff has no place when reliability matters. You end up with way too many servers, way too many variables and less security.

Oh, and BTW: I know how it all works, thanks. I'm sure there is lots of MS code in the delivery of Netflix streaming. From the DRM to the authorization, etc. I bet it was a failure of this MS code that is the source of the issues.
blah blah another raging kid on the internet pretending to be cool hating on microsoft blah blah blah

go back to 1995. that's when this got old