share rss forum feed

Aaron M

join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA
reply to antdude

Re: What the heck is going on in SoCal - Part 3

said by antdude:

said by Aaron M:

I've noticed that my lock ups mostly happen on nights/weekends, when a lot of people tend to be on. Every single time there's a lock up I see these messages in the log "Received a UCD message! followed by UCD invalid or channel unusable." So I think the modem locking up happens when it tries to switch channels(load balancing?.)

Not sure if a new modem will fix that problem, but maybe a better modem will be able to recover from a bad channel transition?
I've read the Motorolas are good at recovering from stuff like this.

Other than that, I'm loving this Turbo connection:
It peaks as high as 34Mb/s, and I've never seen it dip below the advertised 15Mb/s rate.
Did your lockup issue started when PowerBoost feature started? That is what I noticed on my side.
I'm a new RR customer, so Turbo is all I've ever had.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

said by Aaron M:

I've noticed that my lock ups mostly happen on nights/weekends, when a lot of people tend to be on. Every single time there's a lock up I see these messages in the log "Received a UCD message! followed by UCD invalid or channel unusable." So I think the modem locking up happens when it tries to switch channels(load balancing?.)

Not sure if a new modem will fix that problem, but maybe a better modem will be able to recover from a bad channel transition?
I've read the Motorolas are good at recovering from stuff like this.

Other than that, I'm loving this Turbo connection:
It peaks as high as 34Mb/s, and I've never seen it dip below the advertised 15Mb/s rate.
Did your lockup issue started when PowerBoost feature started? That is what I noticed on my side.
I'm a new RR customer, so Turbo is all I've ever had.
Ah OK. Interesting that a new subscriber has the same problem. Is everything (cable modem, coax line, etc.) new?

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
said by antdude:

Ah OK. Interesting that a new subscriber has the same problem. Is that cable line new too?
Yeah, all brand new cable(house never had cable.)

Signals are good:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.6 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.8 dBmV

I did notice that when they load balance me onto a different channel the upstream power level will drop to 40-41. And when things lock up and I power cycle my modem it goes back to the channel that gets me 44+

I really think it has to do with the channel migration. Seems to only happen on night/weekends when network usage tends to be higher.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

Ah OK. Interesting that a new subscriber has the same problem. Is that cable line new too?

Signals are good:

I did notice that when they load balance me onto a different channel the upstream power level will drop to 40-41. And when things lock up and I power cycle my modem it goes back to the channel that gets me 44+

I really think it has to do with the channel migration. Seems to only happen on night/weekends when network usage tends to be higher.
Hmm, I will have to watch the power level.

I can tell you that the locks up can happen any time during light traffic hours (e.g., 6-10 AM PT) versus/vs. peak hours (night times when everyone is on the Internet).

Does your lock ups happen more often if you were to download?

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
said by antdude:

said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

Signals are good:

Hmm, I will have to watch the power level.

I can tell you that the locks up can happen any time during light traffic hours (e.g., 6-10 AM PT) versus/vs. peak hours (night times when everyone is on the Internet).

Does your lock ups happen more often if you were to download?
Yes, downloading a well seeded torrent will crash the modem within minutes. Only a power cycle will fix it. While looking at the event logs I can see it flip flopping around to different channels. It will do this for a few minutes(3-4 channels changes) then crash.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Aaron M:

Yes, downloading a well seeded torrent will crash the modem within minutes. Only a power cycle will fix it. While looking at the event logs I can see it flip flopping around to different channels. It will do this for a few minutes(3-4 channels changes) then crash.
And you noticed this after PowerBoost was implemented a few months ago, right? Ambit modem too?

I haven't seen mine locked up lately again. I am sure it will be back again.

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
said by antdude:

said by Aaron M:

And you noticed this after PowerBoost was implemented a few months ago, right? Ambit modem too?

Turbo is all I've ever had, and yes it's an Ambit.

My connection was doing great all week, not a single dropout, but as soon as I fired up the torrent and pegged the connection to 15Mbps it died, and only power cycling the modem brings it back.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

said by Aaron M:

Turbo is all I've ever had, and yes it's an Ambit.

My connection was doing great all week, not a single dropout, but as soon as I fired up the torrent and pegged the connection to 15Mbps it died, and only power cycling the modem brings it back.
Yeah, it is like that with mine but not with torrents.

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
said by antdude:

I've been playing around with things, and for the past few hours I've been seeding torrents, pegging the upload to its max. I've seen it load balance me 6 times without any issue, then just now when it tried to load balance me onto a different channel it locked up. I *think* my lock ups are happening when there's a big difference in power levels between channels. Because on one channel I'll see 0.5dBmV and another I'll see 3.8dBmV. And for the upload I'll see 40 on one and 45 on another. Any maybe this Ambit just isn't that good when it comes to switching channels with such power differences(I'm guessing here.)

And maybe the power boost is causing us to load balance around a lot, increasing our chances to lock up.

Have you noticed large power level gaps between channels?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

I've been playing around with things, and for the past few hours I've been seeding torrents, pegging the upload to its max. I've seen it load balance me 6 times without any issue, then just now when it tried to load balance me onto a different channel it locked up. I *think* my lock ups are happening when there's a big difference in power levels between channels. Because on one channel I'll see 0.5dBmV and another I'll see 3.8dBmV. And for the upload I'll see 40 on one and 45 on another. Any maybe this Ambit just isn't that good when it comes to switching channels with such power differences(I'm guessing here.)

And maybe the power boost is causing us to load balance around a lot, increasing our chances to lock up.

I can't comment on the power level gaps since I rarely get the problem (last one was when I last mentioned it in here). I will have to watch for them for future. I am pretty sure it is related to PowerBoost since I never had this problem before it was implemented.

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
said by antdude:

said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

I can't comment on the power level gaps since I rarely get the problem (last one was when I last mentioned it in here). I will have to watch for them for future. I am pretty sure it is related to PowerBoost since I never had this problem before it was implemented.
So I ended up just buying a Motorola SB5101U and that fixed everything. I've been seeding torrents this entire weekend, pegging the connection, and not a single problem. (Before I could only go about 45mins before needing to power cycle the Ambit while maxing the connection.)

This modem and the Ambit use the same Broadcom chipset, so that tells me that RR either gave me a failing Ambit, or that the Ambit's firmware is in need of an update to handle Turbo speeds.

I'm even getting better SNR, and a tiny bit more upload speed.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Aaron M:

So I ended up just buying a Motorola SB5101U and that fixed everything. I've been seeding torrents this entire weekend, pegging the connection, and not a single problem. (Before I could only go about 45mins before needing to power cycle the Ambit while maxing the connection.)

This modem and the Ambit use the same Broadcom chipset, so that tells me that RR either gave me a failing Ambit, or that the Ambit's firmware is in need of an update to handle Turbo speeds.

I'm even getting better SNR, and a tiny bit more upload speed.
Interesting that you have Turbo package. I have the regular one. Maybe that is why mine is rare. I still haven't seen the issue for a while.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Aaron M
Ah hah! It just happened again when I was doing a heavy download for a few minutes on my old Debian/Linux box: »pastie.org/1280877 ...

I compared during lock up and after power cycling, and they appear to be similiar. Am I missing something?

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
said by antdude:

Ah hah! It just happened again when I was doing a heavy download for a few minutes on my old Debian/Linux box: »pastie.org/1280877 ...

I compared during lock up and after power cycling, and they appear to be similiar. Am I missing something?
It looks like you sync'd back up to the same channels, so power levels would register nearly the same.

I definitely think it's a modem issue.

How old is your Ambit? Was it new when RR gave it to you? Mine looked like it fell off a truck when the tech gave it to me.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Aaron M:

said by antdude:

It looks like you sync'd back up to the same channels, so power levels would register nearly the same.

I definitely think it's a modem issue.

How old is your Ambit? Was it new when RR gave it to you? Mine looked like it fell off a truck when the tech gave it to me.
Over a couple years old according to my logs: 10/4/2008: Replaced Terayon TJ715X cable modem with an Ambit/Ubee U10C018 cable modem from local TWC office.

The freeze/lock up problem seems to have started after PowerBoost feature was implemented. For kicks, I posted a new standalone forum thread: »For those who have Ambit cable modems.... to see if we can get more eyes with this problem. If there are indeed a lot of people, then TWC RR seriously needs to fix this unless they want to swap every Ambit cable modem users. :P