how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tgermon

join:2007-12-31
Vanceboro, NC

Low posts in other satellite

I see the posts have about quit in this forum. Maybe Obama has got some of the satellite users something better now. I am still stuck with satellite or dialup. Satellite providers have their customers over a barrel. The prices are high and the amount you can use keeps getting lower. They know the customers can not say much, because what other alternative do we have, go back to dialup. Maybe things will get better before they get worse.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
Just the wrong forum. The highest number of users by far have Hughes, and that's followed by WildBlue. Between them they probably have 10 times as many as all other providers put together, so naturally all of the traffic is in the Hughes and WildBlue forums.

With Hughes, at least, in the past few years the amount you can use has only risen, not gone down. Not risen a lot, but it belies your blanket statement.

Satellite will always, repeat always, be expensive compared to any other form of internet connection. Nature of the beast. Nothing to do with anybody knowing that "customers can not say much," just a very high-cost way to do things, and those costs will always be passed on.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 89W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
Aye, my old plan when I had the 4000 modems had a 350 MB limit and no way to get more than that, now I have a 625 MB limit and if I use a download manager I can download all I want and my plans top speed has doubled and I almost get that speed full time now so Satt. is improving by leaps and bounds it just takes time to make improvements when 1/3 of your equipment takes a planned space mission to work on.

There are actually usually fewer posters on the hughesnet forums now days because I think for the most part most people that had trouble got upgraded to the new KA system and now don't have anything to complain about much. The copperhead hughsnet website forum has went all but completely dead.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
said by zeddlar:

Aye, my old plan when I had the 4000 modems had a 350 MB limit and no way to get more than that,
Hmmm, one of us has a faulty memory. I've been a Hughes customer back to the old DirecPC gray dish days. I didn't get rid of the DW4000 till maybe 4 years ago, or about a year after the HN7000S came out. Until then, there was no FAP (for me). Unless I'm mistaken, there was no FAP at all - until the DW6000 series was introduced.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1250H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2011 beta

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
you might be right, that was several years ago and it might have been after I got the 6000. I got that modem not to long before I moved where there was wireless and didn't have it to long and my memory is nothing to brag about either, lol. I got the HN7000 with my small business system a year or 2 after that and have had 500MB since then I think. There was WB in the middle there also but it of course has the monthly cap so I dunno, lol. At any rate I didn't mean to say something that was incorrect so I apologize.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

Qoiz

join:2005-06-26
reply to tgermon
guess that stuff I read back in '05 was BS.

it said by '08, there was gonna be a

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Hmmm, one of us has a faulty memory. I've been a Hughes customer back to the old DirecPC gray dish days. I didn't get rid of the DW4000 till maybe 4 years ago, or about a year after the HN7000S came out. Until then, there was no FAP (for me). Unless I'm mistaken, there was no FAP at all - until the DW6000 series was introduced.

//greg//
Greg, think about it: The "great FAP lawsuit" that forced DirecPC to disclose its FAP was settled in October of 1999 - you have had FAP a lot longer than you can remember!

I started with Direcway and a 4000 in May of 2002, and FAP was in effect from day one.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 89W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
Yeah, I remember the lawsuit. I remember unlimited service, but don't remember the FAP. Well, don't recall actually ever being FAP'd with the DW4000 anyway. Perhaps I've confused it with the fact that there weren't any artificial speed caps back then. Or maybe I'm just gettin' too old.....No selection of subscription plans back then, no actual upper speed limit. They called it a 400k service, but during off-peak hours I do recall my NetPerSec throughput monitor actually displaying the occasional burst of up to 2.6 Mbps. Those days are definitely gone !!

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1250H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2011 beta

Pakapab
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien
reply to tgermon
I am a Spacenet user/installer. I have really nothing to complain about. My speeds are as advertised and my service does not slow down or go down!! Am on 512x1024 package, I love the fact that the upload is nice and hi, also my ping times average about 500milsc. We use 1.2m with a 4wt Buc on amc 6. yes it costs a little more than hughes or wb, but it is the best service for my needs when compared to some of the other commercial sat providers out there. Also spacenet has a unique offer, minimum assured speeds, if you are getting under that then you get your money back for the time that your speeds were slow. Yes they can remotely check the speeds to your modem.
--
HN7000s ProPlus on Horizons 1, 1270mhz on a 1.2m dish, 1watt tx, sig-93 acp-82
Starband Nova 1500 on E9, on a 1.8m dish 2watt tx EbNo-11.2
Spacenet Comercial Amc 6 512x2048 on a 1.2 m dish 4 watt tx EbNo-9.8

foothilldave

join:2007-04-08
Applegate, CA
reply to tgermon
After several years of getting passed around on "other" sat providers (starconnect -> skyfx -> skyway - I think I missed a few) I finally found an OK local Wireless ISP that I can get a (marginal) signal from. I pay $60/mo for 512K-down/256K-up plan but often see 900K download rates - with no RUP and decent ping times so I can again use VPN to work at home (yay!). It cuts out sometimes in bad weather but generally OK. Can even stream Netflix pretty often.

So I am off the Sat feed for now - but if I ever must go back I will definitely bite the bullet(s) and get Hughes or Wildblue - because despite all the whiney comments I see posted they are always the last Sat standing and the others - despite some honest and good intentions - just can't sustain.

Bye fer now...