Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya

Premium Member

[Tech] Digital Image Recovery - The Corrupted JPEG's

So long story short: 5 years ago I had major hard drive issues and lost a number of photos.

I managed to recover most of them but a large number of them suffer the dreaded "Grey Bars" of Jpeg damage so that 20 to 80% of the photo looks like it is all grey.

Off and On I have thought of fixing this... but now that I have my new HTPC setup and it auto-displays photos I would like to repair as many family photos as possible.

Anyone know of any software that actually works at doing this?

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb

Premium Member

Re: Digital Image Recovery - The Corrupted JPEG's

If you could send me one of the jpegs I could take a look at it and see why the grey is there.

It probably is caused by missing data, in which case nothing can be done, but if it is something else I may be able to help.

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to Devanchya

to Devanchya
Missing data.....you can't fix them

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

creed3020 to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SD1000
5.8mm 1/125th F2.8 ISO800

I am facing a similar issue with seemingly corrupted JPG from an external HDD and I figured I would post here rather than create a new thread.

Each time I open the picture from the HDD in question the colour overlays and missing photo data changes. I would love to fix these photos as I do not have any other copies of them.

A sample image is attached.

MikeTest
Non-Believer
join:2010-10-19
Moribund

MikeTest

said by creed3020:

A sample image is attached.
Is not. Try again!

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

creed3020

Premium Member

Fixed. It was my first time using attachments on this board and missed the all important upload button

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

Each time I open the picture from the HDD in question the colour overlays and missing photo data changes. I would love to fix these photos as I do not have any other copies of them.
If each time it is different, you need to run a filesystem check (I think called scandisk in the Windows world) against that drive- it sounds like something is really wonky.

Looking at the file you posted, it is clear that several chunks of data are missing.

I would tackle the cause of the corruption in your case first- it is quite possible that the files exist uncorrupted on the disk, and it is something in the transfer (bad ram, bad cable or connection, firmware bug...) that is causing the issue.

Do you have more information about your system and this external drive? (Is your system custom built? If so, what parts (mainly motherboard). Is yours a factory built computer? If so, what brand and model? What type of external drive? (Brand, capacity, usb/firewire/esata?)

Yes, the image you posted can be mostly fixed, though it is a slightly involved process. As such, dealing with the root cause is where I would go first.
Expand your moderator at work

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to nklb

Premium Member

to nklb

Re: Digital Image Recovery - The Corrupted JPEG's

This is occurring when using an external USB HDD (WD5000BEVT) attached to an HP 8510p laptop. I believe this to be entirely related to the HDD, not the laptop as this occurs no matter what system the drive is plugged in to.

I will run a disk check for errors.