gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5

Re: Some presentation materials from Wall St conference call

Honestly it's because they charge way to much for the TV portion of their service. When I had Comcast I started out with HSI only then moved my Vonage line to Comcast Digital. I had DISH the entire time and finally they had a good deal for a year to bundle. Once my year was up, U-Verse came out and I dropped Comcast altogether.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by gdm:

Honestly it's because they charge way to much for the TV portion of their service. When I had Comcast I started out with HSI only then moved my Vonage line to Comcast Digital. I had DISH the entire time and finally they had a good deal for a year to bundle. Once my year was up, U-Verse came out and I dropped Comcast altogether.
Not everyone has the choice when it comes to Uverse or FIOS. If you want to go with dish or directv, then you will pay just as much for the video as you will through comcast. After shelling out $85 a month for Directv service for the last couple years, I am looking forward to getting a bundle price for my internet and video through comcast for $80 a month for 6 months. After that, I can do what my parents do who do have Comcast and have Uverse in their area. They call every 6 months to say that Uverse is offering them service with internet for $80 a month and Comcast matches it. They haven't paid full price for TV and internet in years and as long as they have options to move to another provider, they won't be paying full price.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Of all posts, i think this is the best one. The threat of competition seems to have Comcast matching prices; before, they never had to, because the last 10 years the only real competition has been the dishes. Now, with Uverse (which covers most of the Comcast footprint here in MI), comcast will match prices and more often, keep their customers.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm to Nightfall

MVM

to Nightfall
I'm not even bringing FIOS or U-Verse into it. I'm just stating DISH and Direct are far cheaper overall then comcast for video. When you take the package and receivers into account Comcast is the most expensive out of everyone. Unless you get a deal then they are cheaper. After your deal is up they won't always offer a deal to you. Even if competition is in the area.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to baineschile

MVM

to baineschile
said by baineschile:

Of all posts, i think this is the best one. The threat of competition seems to have Comcast matching prices; before, they never had to, because the last 10 years the only real competition has been the dishes. Now, with Uverse (which covers most of the Comcast footprint here in MI), comcast will match prices and more often, keep their customers.
This is why I will NOT be paying full price for TV/Internet again. Comcast will get my business, but only as long as they continue to match what other providers are offering. These introductory pricing is just to get your foot in the door. After a year is up, they price goes up. The video providers are counting on you to keep your service at that higher rate or get locked into a contract where you have no choice but to take the service at the higher rate.

Being a smart consumer here all comes down to communication. If you call comcast or Uverse and tell them you want your service at a lower rate or you will go to a competitor, they will match that service almost every time (so long as you are not outlandish with your claims). I know many people who do this and it works well for them. The process is simple.

1. Check to see what the prices of Uverse, Dish, and directv are.
2. Call comcast and ask to match the price.
3. If they don't match, call back.
4. If they do match or lower their rates to a reasonable level, PROFIT!
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
Being a smart consumer here all comes down to communication. If you call comcast or Uverse and tell them you want your service at a lower rate or you will go to a competitor, they will match that service almost every time (so long as you are not outlandish with your claims). I know many people who do this and it works well for them. The process is simple.

Speaking for all pay TV subscribers in the country, I would like to personally thank all those that take part in that horseshit in advance for next years rate increases. Congratulations guys! Give yourselves a round of applause for being so damn greedy! Do you really think Comcast or any other company is going to take a loss? I work in an industry that has nothing to do with what Comcast does, but we get calls from customers all the time wanting their rates reduced or they’ll go to the competition. Fine we’ll slash your prices, but raise other customers and find creative ways of making that up in the form of additional fees that everyone bares.

So yeah good job!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Happydude32:

quote:

Speaking for all pay TV subscribers in the country, I would like to personally thank all those that take part in that horseshit in advance for next years rate increases. Congratulations guys! Give yourselves a round of applause for being so damn greedy! Do you really think Comcast or any other company is going to take a loss? I work in an industry that has nothing to do with what Comcast does, but we get calls from customers all the time wanting their rates reduced or they’ll go to the competition. Fine we’ll slash your prices, but raise other customers and find creative ways of making that up in the form of additional fees that everyone bares.

So yeah good job!
Its called competition. I can bounce between Uverse and Comcast every 6 months. Until one or the other has some kind of competitive advantage, its what I am going to do. Now, if comcast were to say "No caps", then that swings things in their favor a little more. These providers have been raising rates and it hasn't been because 1% of the population doesn't want to get screwed and asks to have their rates lowered, its because of greed.