uniqs
share rss forum feed

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
kudos:2

They learned at the feet of the masters

Cable TV has now arrived at the point where telcos found themselves ten years ago...the wireline product can no longer support absurdly high prices. Whether that is due to the economy sucking is irrelevant. They are not adapting to reality and instead are whistling past the graveyard while the grim reaper follows behind in the shadows. Trying to redefine the early evidence of a failing business model in press releases instead of addressing it head-on reveals corporate hubris, arrogance and laziness.

If they are smart they'll take a look at what happened to their buddies in the twisted-pair business and wake up. $150 a month to watch TV is absurd.

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

It doesn't cost you 150.00 buck to watch tv. You basic package usally cost about 70 bucks after taxes. Now if you want dvr and hd and premium channels that is when it jumps into 150.00 range.
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

LostInWoods

join:2004-04-14

And I'd argue that $70.00 for basic cable is absurd. It's just television. People (well, me anyway) are finding out that they really don't need all the crap on cable, and they sure don't need to drop six or seven Hamiltons a month on it.

Wake me up when you have a reasonable package for 30 bucks or less. And put E$PN into a separate sports tier where it belongs. Until then, I'm gone.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to caco

...good observation!

I, however, have an HD TV. HD is a standard service for me. It shouldn't cost more. Also, I'd like to have my own recording device, sort of like a VCR, but it's not compatible with their equipment. I HAVE to get a DVR if I want to record in HD, which is a native resolution ( standard) for my television.

I understand why they all do this, but it's pretty lame.

CCarson

join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

Put a TV tuner card in your pc, upgrade to a newish video card, and set up Windows Media Center. Presto-free digital HD and a DVR. Plus you get the capability for burning DVDs of anything you record. If you have to watch something that's not available over the air, Netflix and hulu can fill the gap.

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
kudos:2
reply to caco

said by caco:

It doesn't cost you 150.00 buck to watch tv. You basic package usally cost about 70 bucks after taxes. Now if you want dvr and hd and premium channels that is when it jumps into 150.00 range.
Exactly, and it's not worth it. Just try to get your $70 bucks after taxes package for anything other than locals and paid shopping channels. I know your job depends on defending cable TV operators but at least get real about what is going on.

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

This is your typical channel line up for digital starter 55.00-57.00 +taxes.I excluded the local channels. Are shopping channel and local included, yes but so are a bunch of other channels. Not 150.00 and if you have more than 1 tv you can get 2 free dta. So for usually less than 70 bucks you get some good channels. Lets not make stuff up now.

USA Digital Economy No
32 Univision Expanded Basic No
33 FOX News Channel Expanded Basic No
34 E! Entertainment Television Digital Economy No
35 CNN Expanded Basic No
36 HLN Family Tier No
37 CNBC Expanded Basic No
38 The Discovery Channel Expanded Basic No
39 The Learning Channel Expanded Basic No
40 Spike TV Expanded Basic No
41 Animal Planet Digital Economy No
42 Nickelodeon Expanded Basic No
43 ABC Family Expanded Basic No
44 TV Land Expanded Basic No
45 AMC Expanded Basic No
46 TNT Expanded Basic No
47 Syfy Expanded Basic No
48 ESPN Expanded Basic No
49 ESPN2 Expanded Basic No
50 Sun Sports Expanded Basic No
51 FOX Sports Florida Expanded Basic No
52 Golf Expanded Basic No
53 Speed Channel Expanded Basic No
54 CSS Expanded Basic No
55 MTV 2 Expanded Basic No
56 VH1 Expanded Basic No
57 BET Expanded Basic No
58 MTV Expanded Basic No
59 A&E Expanded Basic No
60 Comedy Central Expanded Basic No
96 EWTN Limited Basic No
98 QVC Limited Basic No
99 Leased Access Limited Basic No
104 C-SPAN 2 Family Tier No
105 C-SPAN 3 Digital Starter No
115 BIO Digital Starter No
116 History International Digital Starter No
118 style. Digital Starter No
119 Lifetime Movie Network Digital Starter No
124 Cartoon Network Digital Starter No
128 Sprout Digital Starter No
137 Hallmark Channel Digital Starter No
146 CMT Digital Starter No
162 G4 Digital Starter No
166 FearNet On Demand On Demand Tune Ins No
185 MSNBC Digital Starter No
186 SHOPNBC Limited Basic No
192 History Digital Economy No
200 Universal Sports* Limited Basic No
201 NBC Weather* Limited Basic No

MooreMN

@comcast.net
reply to CCarson

My PC doesn't record most Comcast content since 'xfinity'. Pretty much everything is encrypted. So I pay 15.00 per month to rent a Comcast DVR, pay for TIVO, or record nothing above channel 23.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to CCarson

Better yet, don't pay for WMC, and use MythTV instead. That way, you don't have the cost of MS Windows, and enjoy gobs of other freedoms as well.

'course, the only hitch unfortunately are those dang cable boxes. With the migration to SDV and the content producers and distributors still extremely nervous about me taking my MythTV files and posting them to YouTube or something, it's unfortunate but true that I will not likely be able to buy any tuner cards which can cope with these cable system changes. I sure wish they'd wise up and realize I just want the content; I'm not looking to distribute it. I want to watch it on my system, with my programming, and my storage, on my network, with my MySQL backend...you're probably getting the picture. Using Time-Warner's (for me) DVR is total compromise to whatever THEY want. Sigh...otherwise, I have to set up IR Blasters and hope they work right.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

lgk555

@lgk.com
reply to CCarson

said by CCarson:

Put a TV tuner card in your pc, upgrade to a newish video card, and set up Windows Media Center. Presto-free digital HD and a DVR. Plus you get the capability for burning DVDs of anything you record. If you have to watch something that's not available over the air, Netflix and hulu can fill the gap.
you dont know what the heck you are talking about.. comcast scrambles 95% of their channels even local hd channels so you dont get squat this way.

kal326

join:2005-11-08
Edgerton, KS
reply to caco

I pay around 45 a month to Dish on an old Bronze HD package. That includes DVR and local channel fees. It includes enough channels to be worth while. I also have the 12/1.5 Uverse for $45 a month. All in all I pay under $100 for TV and Internet. I haven't found anything that isn't a promo rate that even comes close to that.

CCarson

join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA
reply to lgk555

For the record, I was talking about dropping cable and using a TV antenna. Lots of over-the-air channels are HD now.