Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rob316

join:2005-10-17
Carteret, NJ

1 edit

Anyroomdvr not working

I just had the anyroomdvr installed at my home yesterday. The tech ran a new homerun in my house connecting the HDDVR in my rec room and the motorola box in my bedroom. The DVR works fine but the hd moto box in my bedroom does not see the DVR. I get a message that "DVR service is not avaliable". I called Comcast 3 times today and they hit the hd box in my room 3 times to see if it would update but still not seeing the dvr. I have a tech coming tommorrow to look at the issue, but I wanted to get some insight of what the problem may be.

Mod Note: See also ---> »AnyRoom DVR installation nightmare! ~sorto'

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL
Have you tried unplugging all the boxes, then plug in the DVR box -let it boot up- then plug in the box in the bedroom. I heard that the boxes have to be powered up a certain order for them to work.

Lightnspirit
know it all.

join:2009-11-08
Vancouver, WA
reply to rob316
With the DCX3400 Multi-Room HD/DVR if thats the one you have, the tech that setup mine put the main DVR in the bedroom and set it all up.. made sure the channels came threw and started a test recording.. then went to the living room and setup the pod and did the same thing. Once that was all done he went outside and put a filter on the line came back inside and did some setting in the tech menu (push power to turn off the box and then the menu button) and it worked great. Did the tech setup yours like that? When i read your post it makes me think you have like 2 different boxs or are you refering to the pod as a HD box? and not the multi-room?

rob316

Carteret, NJ
All the tech did was hookup both boxes but since he came so damn late and I was late for work he did not test. I do have the correct boxes the tech took my 2 old boxes and replaced them with the proper Moto boxes for anyroomdvr, I verified the model numbers on both boxes.

They were back today but once again had a 9-11 appt but the tech showed up at 11:30. When the tech came into my home I explained to him that I had aanyroomdvr and he looked at me like I had 10 heads. He said he was not trained for anyroomdvr so he called his super and they had to add some codes to my account, this still did not fix the issue, so the supervisor rebooted the pod still not working. Since the tech came so damn late AGAIN, and had no clue what anyroomdvr was left, but he left me with his super's number to call, I left a voicemail to call me.

This is getting ridiculous already, I already have 40 dollars in credits already for them showing up late twice, but I rather just have the anyroom working already

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
i had the same issue, leave the HD box on and unplug the power cord of the DVR.

this allows the DVR to "rescan " the boxes in the home and make a connection with the HD box.

rob316

Carteret, NJ
I tried.your suggestion and it did not work. I have a tech coming Monday to look again.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
i also needed to have the box swapped out also.

I feel your pain.

rob316

Carteret, NJ
OK they found the problem the main dvr is not a 3400M it's a 3400. Tech did not have the 3400m box, so he will back back in the am to swap out boxes

rob316

Carteret, NJ
reply to aguiar0016
Update

Problem still not resolved, had a tech his supervisor over swapped out boxes same issue the hd box is not seeing the DVR downstairs. They checked all the codes on my account and made sure the correct code were on the boxes everything seemed ok. The super also had his manager and someone from corporate on the phone as well as Comcast Video Support they cannot figure out the issue. Super will come back tomorrow again after he looks into any issues in the system at their end.

To Comcast credit they are really trying to get this resolved. The super told me I am the first customer in my area for anyroom dvr. Corporate is now involved with the issue. Worst case scenario if they can't the anyroomdvr going is that they will give me a HD-DVR box free for the lifetime of my contracts with Comcast.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
So now both boxes are the M series boxes correct?

If so try unplugging the power from the DVR only and plug it back in ?

Also do you see the white lan icon on both boxes light up?

rob316

Carteret, NJ
Yes they are both M series bxoes, and the tech and supervisor that were over my house tried your suggestions and other things as well still no go. The white lan icon I did not notice.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
the white lan should be light up on both boxes. or all boxes.
not sure what to tell you there.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to rob316
We were told to start the DVR first, then boot the terminals up as the terminals only look for the DVR by broadcasting for the first thirty seconds. they stop looking for the node after thirty seconds. so the HD terminals stopped looking long ago as you didn't reboot them. I am confused why rebooting the DVR keeps coming up. Did you try it my way??

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
rebooting DVR keeps coming up because that is what has worked for me on more than one occasion and with more than just 1 person. Almost all of the techs that i've come across have all said they got minimal training on troubleshooting anyroom DVR service. And this has come from the "main" anyroom DVR tech from 2 different areas and a tech supervisor. A lot of it unfortunately is trial and error.

rob316

Carteret, NJ
reply to rob316

Update 2 Problem Resolved Anyroomdvr now working

Supervisor came back today and he found the issue, the connection to the terminal coming into my bedroom was on the wrong drop. I have 2 runs 1 line for my internet/phone, my son's room and my Florida room, the other line is the new line connecting my Rec Room and bedroom, well the line connecting my bedroom was put on the wrong splitter. The super went up and swapped out the connection an boom anyroom started to work.

So it's fixed and it works great. Kudos to Comcast fixing the issue and I received a call from the Eastern Regional Manager, she thanked me for my patience with the install and gave me a 2 month credit on my bill for my troubles, so I don't have to pay may bill again until January.

Comcast has gone above and beyond to make me happy and I am thankful for that. I have been in IT for over 20 years and I know how frustrating it can be when a new product comes out and you as a tech are not trained properly so hence my patience with the issue.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
good to hear. plus the 2 month credit is a plus.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to rob316

Re: Anyroomdvr not working

I hate to disagree but we were given enough training to know they had to be on the same splitter if the filter was placed there. Sounds a little like the blame game to me. Tech didnt put the filter in the right place, and they still didnt figure this out on subsequent visits. Training for this was online and in group form, techs get paid to go on and do the training, Its a shame if you cant remember stuff for not even a month after training lol.

rob316

Carteret, NJ
The techs told me that they were trained for around an hour in a controlled environment where the anyroomdvr was already working. All they showed them was what to look for. They did not even know about the Data light on the boxes had to be solid white on the dvr and solid yellow on the terminal box. It all tuned out well so no compliants here.

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to rob316
What's your splitter configuration like? Can you give a description, from the main line going in, thru any splitters, to each STB? I have my main feed coming into an Electroline 8 output zero-gain amplifier, wondering if they won't like that configuration.

Jeff

rob316

Carteret, NJ
I have 2 lines one line is the original line, that split goes to my EMTA and then to my son's room and Florida room. My second line is for the anyroomdvr, it goes to my dvr and then to my bedroom with the hd terminal.

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
Is that two main lines coming into the house?

krommulent

join:2010-04-07
reply to rob316
this is being launched in my area soon. can any tech out there tell me the splitter config necessary? from the little i have heard all modems must be HR to the 1st split, filter, then the cpe.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to rob316
Just got home a few mins ago and the anyroom service wasn't allowing me to pull recordings from the main dvr (Hub). After i unplugged the hub 1st and plugged it back in and then the terminals everything came back up and now able to access recordings.

So this does work.

snl35

join:2009-07-26
Dublin, CA
reply to rob316
yep. I've the same experience from my install 2 days ago. Ours is relatively new town home (5 yrs old). We were the first buyers. Cabling is new. But the anyroom dvr install was a nightmare.

The 1st tech had no clue. he went in 2 hrs saying it'll be alright after 45 mins. I tried calling comacast 3 times to local office and 3 times to 1-800-comcast. No luck.

Then other senior tech showed up yesterday, he tried getting it to work. changed filters and what not and got 2 out of 3 HD tv's working.

For the last one, the only option he had was to run a new line!! Only after a fresh line, 2 swaps, filter changes - the 3rd box started working!!

Good luck!

Jamie Clay

@comcast.net
I just got the AnyRoom DVR system yesterday and it wasn't immediately working. After the installation I was told it could take 45 minutes for it to wake up. It didn't.

I then called customer service they reset the network set top box and said it would take another 45 minutes to resolve. It didn't.

I then called again - they reset BOTH boxes - another 45 minutes. Still didn't work.

I tried using online chat and that was amusingly bad and slow. Laugh out loud bad - gave up on that.

I did find the PDF for the product where it shows a "My Recordings" option on the screen menu. I didn't have that, so I knew something was up.

I'm a technically capable guy - it would be nice if there is a installation .PDF or something. Anyway - off to Google I went and I found this thread.

None of the solutions listed here (unless I missed it) resolved my problem but I started getting ideas.

I did some trouble shooting by putting the remote box on the same cable run as the main DVR - it worked. So I traced the second run and found I had forgotten to remove a Radio Shack amp that I had installed. It's bi-directional and compatible with normal use but obviously it causes a problem with the networking of the DVR.

The beauty is – the tech that came out originally noticed how bad the line to my house was (because I had the amps) an replaced the (30 year old) cable, so I didn’t need the amps anymore, I had simply forgotten to remove one. (doh!)

Now I know. It’s all working but I think sadly this system is too new for most the techs to be familiar with all the shiat that can go wrong.

BTW - small immediate clue to see if it is working, on either box there is a little 'House in a network circle icon' that lights up.

Hope this helps others in with this in the future.