uniqs
This is a sub-selection from They learned at the feet of the masters

CCarson
join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA

CCarson to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory

Re: They learned at the feet of the masters

Put a TV tuner card in your pc, upgrade to a newish video card, and set up Windows Media Center. Presto-free digital HD and a DVR. Plus you get the capability for burning DVDs of anything you record. If you have to watch something that's not available over the air, Netflix and hulu can fill the gap.

MooreMN
@comcast.net

MooreMN

Anon

My PC doesn't record most Comcast content since 'xfinity'. Pretty much everything is encrypted. So I pay 15.00 per month to rent a Comcast DVR, pay for TIVO, or record nothing above channel 23.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to CCarson

Premium Member

to CCarson
Better yet, don't pay for WMC, and use MythTV instead. That way, you don't have the cost of MS Windows, and enjoy gobs of other freedoms as well.

'course, the only hitch unfortunately are those dang cable boxes. With the migration to SDV and the content producers and distributors still extremely nervous about me taking my MythTV files and posting them to YouTube or something, it's unfortunate but true that I will not likely be able to buy any tuner cards which can cope with these cable system changes. I sure wish they'd wise up and realize I just want the content; I'm not looking to distribute it. I want to watch it on my system, with my programming, and my storage, on my network, with my MySQL backend...you're probably getting the picture. Using Time-Warner's (for me) DVR is total compromise to whatever THEY want. Sigh...otherwise, I have to set up IR Blasters and hope they work right.

lgk555
@lgk.com

lgk555 to CCarson

Anon

to CCarson
said by CCarson:

Put a TV tuner card in your pc, upgrade to a newish video card, and set up Windows Media Center. Presto-free digital HD and a DVR. Plus you get the capability for burning DVDs of anything you record. If you have to watch something that's not available over the air, Netflix and hulu can fill the gap.
you dont know what the heck you are talking about.. comcast scrambles 95% of their channels even local hd channels so you dont get squat this way.

CCarson
join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA

CCarson

For the record, I was talking about dropping cable and using a TV antenna. Lots of over-the-air channels are HD now.
This is a sub-selection from They learned at the feet of the masters