how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gogreen

join:2010-09-10
Virginia Beach, VA

[General] netTALK Free Smartphone APP

I just downloaded the new nettalk iphone app. Great call quality and they offer free calling anywhere in the USA and Canada.The APP is also compatible with Android, blackberry and windows mobile.

List of features:
free 411
free conference number bridge
Record your calls.

fparker

join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

Hardly 'free'

$69.95 Includes DUO and first year of service.
Each additional year is $29.95.

Kosherdog2

join:2009-08-31
reply to gogreen

fparker, Check again. The Smartphone app is available to everyone for FREE. I have not tried it yet but i will before the day is done.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to gogreen

said by gogreen:

I just downloaded the new nettalk iphone app.
Any linky?
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to gogreen

said by gogreen:

I just downloaded the new nettalk iphone app. Great call quality and they offer free calling anywhere in the USA and Canada.
Comments from MJ CEO are contradicting to your findings.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to mazilo

said by mazilo :

Any linky?
»m.nettalk.com/downloads.php

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

said by mikefxu:

said by mazilo :

Any linky?
»m.nettalk.com/downloads.php
Thanks.

I just registered for a NetTalk mobile account. I believe the SIP credentials (username/password) are the same ones input during the registration process. That said, what is left is the SIP server for NetTalk mobile. If anyone out here knows the SIP server for mobile NetTalk and don't mind to post it here, I can give it a try with an Asterisk and/or FreeSWITCH PBX System to register my newly NetTalk mobile account.
--

tom thomas

@leapwireless.net
reply to gogreen

just signed up on my iPhone. works great. no purchase of anything needed, and no ads. so far so good.

i did notice that it does not send any caller ID, so all calls will show up as anonymous to the called party.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

said by tom thomas :

just signed up on my iPhone. works great. no purchase of anything needed, and no ads. so far so good.
Can you find out its mobile SIP server where the smartphone registered to?
--

tom thomas

@leapwireless.net

said by mazilo:

said by tom thomas :

i am not set up right now to do that, using mobile tethered connection to cell phone right now. i will sniff the traffic tomorrow morning when i am at a proper setup.

tom thomas

@qwest.net
reply to mazilo

said by mazilo:

said by tom thomas :

sip10.nettalktelecom.com

tom thomas

@qwest.net
reply to gogreen

registration from xlite with username/password for mobile app fails.

call attempts without registering seem to connect but i get no audio and the destination phone does not ring.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to tom thomas

said by tom thomas :

said by mazilo:

said by tom thomas :

sip10.nettalktelecom.com
Thanks. That doesn't seem to work. Oh well, at least we tried. Cheers.
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

1 edit
reply to tom thomas

Can you check if it uses any outbound proxy server, port#, and domain?

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to gogreen

I downloaded the Blackberry version. After a couple hick-ups it registered and I could place calls.
A couple of problems I noticed so far: DTMF doesn't work, and it doesn't detect when the remote end has disconnected the call.
--
»www.voipfan.net

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7

Also it appears to work only over WiFi. With 3G only I get the error "Cannot obtain internet connection".
--
»www.voipfan.net

tom thomas

@qwest.net
reply to mazilo

said by mazilo:

Can you check if it uses any outbound proxy server, port#, and domain?
so far i am not getting anything in wireshark that i can make sense of. it appears to be using some form of encrypted TCP for authentication.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25

said by tom thomas :

so far i am not getting anything in wireshark that i can make sense of. it appears to be using some form of encrypted TCP for authentication.
Yep, it makes an HTTPS request to mobile.nettalk.com to fetch your SIP user ID and password. This info gets cached in persistent storage and is only refetched if you select a different account in the app. You can't easily capture it, e.g. with Fiddler2, because the client checks the server certificate and disconnects if you have a MITM. Sorry, I don't have the time to look deeper.

However, the rest is standard SIP, so you can easily view the SIP user ID (though not the password). Now, mazilo, listen up! The server is presently accepting unregistered unauthenticated calls, so enjoy them while it lasts.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to gogreen

I wonder if the Android version will work using the Android emulator. »www.howtogeek.com/howto/21831/ho···a-phone/
--
THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25

said by OmagicQ:

I wonder if the Android version will work using the Android emulator.
I was unable to find a working link for the Android version. Do you have one?

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to Stewart

said by Stewart:

said by tom thomas :

Yep, it makes an HTTPS request to mobile.nettalk.com to fetch your SIP user ID and password. This info gets cached in persistent storage and is only refetched if you select a different account in the app.
So far, I have no problem login into my account using the HTTPS protocol to mobile.nettalk.com; however, the page contains no SIP credentials once a successful login is done. Can you find out the complete URI line your smartphone sends to the HTTP server to fetch the SIP credentials?

However, the rest is standard SIP, so you can easily view the SIP user ID (though not the password). Now, mazilo, listen up! The server is presently accepting unregistered unauthenticated calls, so enjoy them while it lasts.
That's cool. Thanks.
--

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to Stewart

said by Stewart:

said by OmagicQ:

I wonder if the Android version will work using the Android emulator.
I was unable to find a working link for the Android version. Do you have one?
For the Android SDK »developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

I'm downloading it now. I'm also going to try a windows mobile emulator.
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

said by OmagicQ:

I'm also going to try a windows mobile emulator.
That's not a bad idea. Which windows mobile emulator?
--

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA

said by mazilo:

said by OmagicQ:

I'm also going to try a windows mobile emulator.
That's not a bad idea. Which windows mobile emulator?
I'm following this guide: »www.amset.info/windowsmobile/emulator.asp

I'm going to try it with windows mobile 6.1. I decided not to try the android emulator since I can't download the android app. I already got the windows mobile one in case it disappears.
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

Thanks. That Windows Mobile Emulator looks interesting.

Peter

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to gogreen

I downloaded the net talk app, But it is asking me to log in and when i enter the information it does not do anything

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA

I gave up on it, it was getting to be too much effort to try and make it work.
--

charlyc

join:2010-11-13
Stony Brook, NY
reply to mazilo

on the phone the app has the sip info in the Plist file

TJ6547

@zing-net.ca
reply to mazilo

Does anyone know what port is used for inbound audio on the iphone app? I can make a call, speak to who I call (and they hear me) but I cannot hear them. This only happens at home...it works great on other wifi networks, so something is not open at the house.

thanks...

larrycl

join:2009-04-07
reply to gogreen

Just tried this out on my Android:
- It's outbound only. (e.g, you don't get a free DID)
- The receiving phone shows private name / private number
- Latency during my test call was horrible; at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a second delay. I think for a real phone call this would be unusable.
- On my android, it used the speaker phone. Even though I kept pressing the setting to switch on & off the loudspeaker, it would not switch to headset mode.

so, I see it as:
Pros: It makes free phone calls
Cons: Not really usable for anything other than test calls