dslreports logo
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
11826
share rss forum feed


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

1 edit

Who to call about carbon monoxide problem?

I had carbon monoxide detector go off, indicating there is a problem. I turned off gas to dryer in laundry room and now reading is back to 0. Who do i need to call about this? Water and heater company or someone else?

edit:Update: False alarm user error LMAO. OMG just realized that this is totally a user error no question about it. How can 97 reading be user error? It was not 97, my unit was upside down and it was reading LB. Which means low battery, omg i feel so stupid.


John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Call your local gas supplier. They have detection equipment that can help isolate the device emitting the CO. This is a free service, usually.
--
The Truth is the foremost enemy of the State now.


carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
reply to silentlooker
Check your exhaust from dryer all the way to the outside.


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
said by carp:

Check your exhaust from dryer all the way to the outside.
Dryer was not on at the time.


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

Call your local gas supplier. They have detection equipment that can help isolate the device emitting the CO. This is a free service, usually.
Thx will give them a call.


nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to silentlooker
Your local fire company may be able to help you too.
--
-meh


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
said by nerdburg:

Your local fire company may be able to help you too.
Hmm, will call non emergency number and ask but being lvl was low 97 and now is 0 i am not sure they will even bother will probably just tell me to call private company.


carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
reply to silentlooker
said by silentlooker:

said by carp:

Check your exhaust from dryer all the way to the outside.
Dryer was not on at the time.
Well, something was burning gas. Turning off at the dryer is likely just a coincidence then.


Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to silentlooker
In order of importance.

When it happens, call the fire department and move to fresh air. They have tools to detect and will test common areas where it may happen.

Then if it doesn't go off, rest easy, might have been a fluke.

If again. Call again and then they will check, these are valid calls to the FD.

Next day call your gas company and they have more specialized detectors. Then they can fix it for a cost of course.

Or call a plumber to check as well.

OR like me it turned out my CO detector was faulty and was going off for no reason.


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
said by Warzau:

In order of importance.

When it happens, call the fire department and move to fresh air. They have tools to detect and will test common areas where it may happen.

Then if it doesn't go off, rest easy, might have been a fluke.

If again. Call again and then they will check, these are valid calls to the FD.

Next day call your gas company and they have more specialized detectors. Then they can fix it for a cost of course.

Or call a plumber to check as well.

OR like me it turned out my CO detector was faulty and was going off for no reason.
To tell you the truth i suspect co detector. The main reason why I say that is because i had no gas burning at the time(both heater and dryer off). Also the level was low 97. What i am confused about, would the test button not detect a problem with circuit and display faulty message?

I guess i will buy a new co and if that tells anything but 0 it will be a call to fd and then to plumber.

I personally do not like to take risk with such thing reason why I asked who to call.


mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
said by silentlooker:

said by Warzau:

In order of importance.

When it happens, call the fire department and move to fresh air. They have tools to detect and will test common areas where it may happen.

Then if it doesn't go off, rest easy, might have been a fluke.

If again. Call again and then they will check, these are valid calls to the FD.

Next day call your gas company and they have more specialized detectors. Then they can fix it for a cost of course.

Or call a plumber to check as well.

OR like me it turned out my CO detector was faulty and was going off for no reason.
To tell you the truth i suspect co detector. The main reason why I say that is because i had no gas burning at the time(both heater and dryer off). Also the level was low 97. What i am confused about, would the test button not detect a problem with circuit and display faulty message?

I guess i will buy a new co and if that tells anything but 0 it will be a call to fd and then to plumber.

I personally do not like to take risk with such thing reason why I asked who to call.
I've had 2 co detectors fail in the laundry room.

This was before I bought a gas dryer.


chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to silentlooker
Depending on the age, the likely explanation is the detector. I've had them fail from time to time.


John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to silentlooker
Just to clarify, when the alarm sounds, move to fresh air IMMEDIATELY and THEN call.

You can be overcome in moments by CO. One breath of CO will reduce the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood by 200X.
--
The Truth is the foremost enemy of the State now.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to silentlooker
said by silentlooker:

To tell you the truth i suspect co detector.
That can be a fatal mistake.


Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
True but call the FD, when they came, my CO went off while they were there and their meter couldn't detect anything. Even when they put the sniffer by the detector.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
said by Warzau:

True but call the FD, when they came, my CO went off while they were there and their meter couldn't detect anything. Even when they put the sniffer by the detector.
That's a good reason to suspect the detector. But the OP only has a hunch, no real evidence.


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
Just got a new oc detector and it is reading 0 for the last hour. So i guess it was bad detector. Nothing like waking up at 3 am to screaming carbon monoxide detector. At least it was reading under 100


Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to silentlooker
Also do you have a gas stove and maybe cooking with all burners on and the oven???

If dryer was not on why did you turn the gas off to it??? Gas itself has no CO until it is burned.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to silentlooker
said by silentlooker:

Dryer was not on at the time.
Probably your furnace or water heater.


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to Hayward
said by Hayward:

Also do you have a gas stove and maybe cooking with all burners on and the oven???

If dryer was not on why did you turn the gas off to it??? Gas itself has no CO until it is burned.
CO detector was right next to it. Seemed like prudent thing to do. It was 3 am when it happened. I had nothing on at all except for water heater which is in garage.


carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
reply to silentlooker
Considering detectors are relatively inexpensive, I'd replace it or run a new one side by side. I just replaced mine because of false alerts.

65349376

join:2010-10-26
reply to carp
said by carp:

Well, something was burning gas. Turning off at the dryer is likely just a coincidence then.
NO, something was burning carbon.

65349376

join:2010-10-26
reply to silentlooker
Some CO detectors are crap and give loads of false alarms or give elevated readings.

Were you cooking and/or maybe smokers in the house?

Fireplace?


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
said by 65349376:

Some CO detectors are crap and give loads of false alarms or give elevated readings.

Were you cooking and/or maybe smokers in the house?

Fireplace?
No, No, No. I can now confirm it was false alarm for sure. I just purchased a similar carbon detector that actually shows you reading and it's saying 0. So the other one is just broken.


silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

1 recommendation

reply to silentlooker
Update: False alarm user error LMAO. OMG just realized that this is totally a user error no question about it. How can 97 reading be user error? It was not 97, my unit was upside down and it was reading LB. Which means low battery, omg i feel so stupid.


Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to silentlooker
NM... was responding to post reply notice and had not seen thread end.

65349376

join:2010-10-26
Yeah, it was a 710 cap issue.