spc
uniqs
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: No hope without regulation!

In the world of Comcast, it's $15 additional if you have internet with no other service. In my area, it is a wash if I got limited basic after the junk is added to the $12 price.

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

said by QLR:

In the world of Comcast, it's $15 additional if you have internet with no other service. In my area, it is a wash if I got limited basic after the junk is added to the $12 price.
I currently pay ~$3/mo more just to get the basic cable. After removing all duplicate channels and ones I don't want I have 11 HD channels (since these are unencrypted I can use TVs internal tuner). I'll pay the $3 just to get some channels, especially since OTA is useless in my neck of the woods.
QLR
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I hear you on that... OTA is useless in my apartment so basic was a no brainer. Now, they are rolling out the all digital cable in my area, slowly. So I wanted a few more channels and HD, I bit the bullet and got digital economy and HD.

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

I have enough remotes as-is, I have zero desire for a Comcast remote to use their box. If I could watch extended basic cable through my TV's tuner I would consider upgrading. I'm not paying more for TV channels, a remote rental, and a box rental. And I'm cheap, so I wouldn't want to pay the premium for useless channels I don't watch.
QLR
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I don't blame you... luckily I have caught a few breaks for now... if it got too hairy, I have no qualms going back to the $12 cable. I wanted to see some news channels, so I am happy lol. I still look at mostly local stations for programming.
thor793
join:2005-09-10
Schaumburg, IL

thor793 to QuakeFrag

to QuakeFrag
Those channels you get in the basic package are available via ClearQAM anyway. If you have your net connection hooked up you still get them in HD as well as a few others in SD.

This is what I do. I was trying to use OTA but could only get a couple of channels OTA. Then I discovered ClearQAM, and have been using it ever since. Most TV's these days will receive these channels since they are unencrypted. All I pay for is my Comcast HSI connection, nothing more.
d1gw33d
join:2009-06-20
Clovis, CA

d1gw33d to QLR

to QLR
said by QLR:

Yeah I cancelled triple play and went with the 50/10 Mbps service. It was $114.99 w/o any TV service or $99.99 with at least basic for $19.99. So for $5 I still get my locals... which I never watch unless some local tragedy is taking place.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to thor793

Premium Member

to thor793
said by thor793:

Those channels you get in the basic package are available via ClearQAM anyway. If you have your net connection hooked up you still get them in HD as well as a few others in SD.
Not up here in the Great White North. All the cable providers encrypt ALL their channels, even the locals.

Thanks goodness OTA is so good in my area: 22 channels of digital goodness.