All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

werowe
@direcpc.com

werowe

Anon

Kazaa kills Windows ME router (crashes machine)

I've read the posting about rebooting and my complaint is similar but different. If I don't use Kazaa to download DVDs then my system runs fine for days (Win 2000K laptop and Win ME desktop w/ Satelitte Modem). But I find if I run Kazaa then the desktop will lock up after a while--the keyboard won't respond and I have to unplug the desktop and plug it back in again. My guess is that this happens when the download speed reads > 60 kbps (usually it is much slower).

I have tuned my setup per www.copperhead.cc and get great download speeds. The problem can't really be the Kazaa software it must be ... latency? Anyway my desktop has 128 KB memory and free resources are 61%.

Like the other posting I notice that the lights on the modem quit flashing. This is when I know the problem is started. Then I try the keyboard on the desktop and see if it is hung. Usually it is but when it is not I try to click, say, "start" and then the desktop freezes.

Thanks, this forum has been most helpful. You talked me out of Pegasus and onto Hughes.

braish
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
Canisteo, NY

braish

Premium Member

Kazaa and ZoneAlarm Pro don't play well together either. If ZoneAlarm Pro is running and I start Kazaa, instant BSD. Take ZA off and everything runs fine. After the puter starts or restarts a few times, I get an error message about ZA attempting to open internet vector and the only box to click is cancel and ZA won't load and blocks internet access. Not having a good time with ZA.
werowe
join:2002-02-14
Castleton, VA

werowe to werowe

to werowe
OK, will try that. I also unplugged my digital camera from the USB port (the second one). Someone else wrote that that was problematic as well.

I am going to try this signature thing next time. I have to figure out how to create one first.

Sat_Man
Monotonous Isn't It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Gray Court, SC

Sat_Man to braish

Premium Member

to braish
said by braish:
Kazaa and ZoneAlarm Pro don't play well together either.
Simply put Kazza is nothing but SpyWare! The reason they don't work together is that Kazza won't work if it's spyware is not allowed to access the internet. ZA stops it and Kazza quits! To check this download Ad-Aware and see how many different spyware entries are on your computer. You'll be surprised. Check this thread »Kazza?

>Fred
subtlestang
join:2001-12-17
Grove, OK

subtlestang to werowe

to werowe
Instead of Kazaa, try Morpheus....it's friendly with ME, ZA, and other things. If I remember correctly, it allows you to install without the 'spyware'....even so, run Ad-Aware and clean it up. Will work without the additional junk.

I see a definite problem with your stuff......61% resources! Could be that Kazaa is forcing them lower, locking up the machine. Cut out a bunch of the programs that are not necessary on startup, and free the resources! These links might help....

»www.pacs-portal.co.uk/st ··· m#Select

»www.forrestandassociates ··· tups.htm

Hope that helps!

JimBobJones
@direcpc.com

JimBobJones to werowe

Anon

to werowe
I have the same problem. I'm using Sony Vaio, XP, 522 MB RAM, pent III 800 and Directway 4.0.1.28.

If u use Kazaa or Morpheus, or practically any other file sharing programs, my computer will freeze. I got Win 2000 on a sony laptop and it freezes too when hooked up to the satellite.

The only file sharing programs i have found to work are Direct Connect and WinMx. How do those programs differ from kazaa/morpheus?

One strange thing though. When runnin WinMX using the standard servers (WMNP). It will run fine no freezes. But if i add all the trippy.net servers, then computer will freeze. Works fine using direconnect all day and night.

Has baffled me and cannot figure out the freezing problem,but it will only freeze when using the satellite: if i use kazaa or morpheus with modem only, it will work fine no freeze all day!!

Lem G
@direcpc.com

Lem G to werowe

Anon

to werowe
As I am not going against any other postings, I'd like to offer my two cents as well.

IT'S NOT THE KAZZA OR MORPHEUS SOFTWARE ITSELF that's causing the lock-ups. It's the freak'in 4.0.1.128 software. Everyone (and trust me I've read through many threads) have been doing everything under the sun to figure out the cause of these system crashes. Basically the crash occurs after so much data has passed through the receiver. You can be browsing through 200MB worth of web pages and experience a lock up or download a 200MB file from whatever source and experience a lock-up. Here's another one: Your client machines (if you have a network going) will freeze the host if they (the client machines) pass too much data. In essence, the .128 software was poorly written and the only current solution seems to be WIN2K with .40 software. No fix that I've tried has been successful with the .128 version. So in case you hear disabling the QOS packet scheduler will work, or updating your BIOS, or send your receiver back, or get a PCI version - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. Writing all this has just made me pist off - I feel like a little kid wanting to say, "It's just not fair" Talk to you later guys,

r/Lem

Red Baron

join:2001-08-04
41.3N, 87.1W

Red Baron to werowe

to werowe
I use Morpheus on 1 client and my kid runs it on another. Entire LAN is XP Pro and 4.0.128 CD software (0007) is on the host DPC box. No lockups yet ever. Just my 2 cents

savillehill
join:2002-01-16
Lexington, VA

savillehill to werowe

to werowe
I concur with Red Baron's observations... running Morpheus on WinXP host and WinME client (ptp) using Norton Internet Security 2002 and SRS 4.0.1.28, with nary a lockup! Of course, I don't routinely download GByte+ DvD files either!

Old Man7
Do you Ubuntu?
join:2001-11-29
Clinton, LA

Old Man7 to werowe

to werowe
Just thought I'd add Limewire to the list of spyware garbage. After installing it I found at least ten items with Adaware, and even after killing them I still had ZA reporting unwanted attempts to connect and unknown sites trying to set cookies. Needless to say, that garbage is now gone from my system.

ff45726
Mother Russia
Premium Member
join:2001-10-16
Richmond, KY

ff45726 to werowe

Premium Member

to werowe
On my computer, i downloaded 4.0.1.128 and got lockups when i ran the file transfer service Gnucleus. I got rid of 4.0.128 and reinstalled it and had the same problems. I am now having a good expericence just keeping .40 .

Sat_Man
Monotonous Isn't It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Gray Court, SC

Sat_Man

Premium Member

The one I use is BearShare! I have never had it to lock up and it will ask you if it can install a spyware program on your computer to support the program. You can opt-out and ad-aware comfirms it does not install it. Clean running program. »www.bearshare.com/

>Fred
dtrot
join:2002-01-01
Holland, MI

dtrot to werowe

to werowe
With 4.0.0.36 I would get periodic Blue Screens Of Death, something about IRQ_LT_ZERO (kicking myself for not writing it down, but IRQ's less than zero just CAN'T be good!). This would happen with Morpheus & Sat together (although as mentioned above it could just be the amount of data sent). With 4.0.1.28, the system just locks up, no more BSOD. Funny how upgrading the sat software changed the failure. Not that I want to point fingers.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to werowe

to werowe
WinMx works for me...and yes I'm running 4.0.1.28
I think you guys might want to try reformating & starting over from scratch. People will fill up their hard drives with games and programs that they never use and then wonder why something won't run right. Keep the bare minimum of programs , lay off the themes & screensavers ,and do a little PC maintenence.
not quite right

not quite right to werowe

to werowe
said by werowe:
If I don't use Kazaa to download DVDs then my system runs fine for days (Win 2000K laptop and Win ME desktop w/ Satelitte Modem).
2 Questions .... How the heck do you download DVDs without getting fapped , and why have Win2K on a laptop & ME on your desktop?

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen to Red Baron

Mod

to Red Baron
said by Red Baron:
I use Morpheus on 1 client and my kid runs it on another.
I'd agree with our illustrious leader here - Morpheus works fine here on both clients. I do think there is an issue with the new (4.0.1.28) software. Way too many people having crashes/lockups with that. I'm using 4.0.0.36 DPC software and an older version of Morpheus.

xt29
join:2001-07-29
Tonopah, NV

xt29 to werowe

to werowe
I use the newest version of DPC, morpheus, and zone alarm pro on a winxp pro host and i get a lockout about every hour or two. thus i just restart every so often. this only happens when Morpheus is running, otherwise I dont crash. all spyware has been removed. I would love if someone could pin this problem down. seems some people have a problem and red says he has no problem. what is the defining factor in our systems?
xt29

xt29 to werowe

to werowe
I would like to add that this accured on my older WinME system and it doesnt matter if I am proxied or unproxied or if I am running ICS or running my networking software, it dosent seem to matter what my TCP receive window is. it dosent seem to matter about anything, other than Morpheus is running.I have tried just about every different combo of setups and it just doesn't matter. Running Morpheus will lockup the machine.

Red Baron

join:2001-08-04
41.3N, 87.1W

Red Baron to xt29

to xt29
said by xt29:
seems some people have a problem and red says he has no problem. what is the defining factor in our systems?
I run a stand alone XPpro DPC box that does noting else, all my other computers are clients on a fixed IP address network. Perhaps that is the difference. I learned 1 1/2 years ago that DPC doesn't play well with anything else.
I haven't had to reboot the DPC box in a few weeks.

JimBobJones
@direcpc.com

JimBobJones to werowe

Anon

to werowe
which direcway/direcpc are u using? one-way or twoway?

I'm using Directway 4.0.1.28(earthlink) two-way,w/522MB RAM,doesnt matter if i'm proxied or not.The satellite modem is my only USB hardware Morpheus/kazaa will always lock it.