uniqs

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

AWS iPhone

Apparently this is in the works as well, but doesn't get nearly the amount of press the Verizon iPhone.

The AWS iPhone would work on T-Mobile's 3G (possibly HSPA+ with up to 42mbps download) and Canada's WIND AWS network.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

tiger72

Premium Member

The only time an AWS iPhone will come out is when Apple makes an LTE iPhone which runs on 700/1700.

Videotron and Wind are tiny, and T-Mobile is the smallest in the US. I'd be surprised if Apple made a UMTS AWS phone.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

I think it would be actually easier to manufacture an AWS iPhone than the CDMA one.
Same chipset/technology - just a band shift.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by en102:

I think it would be actually easier to manufacture an AWS iPhone than the CDMA one.
Same chipset/technology - just a band shift.
definitely easier. I just think it's less likely. A CDMA iPhone will work in China, India, Canada, and Sprint/VZW in the US. That's a few hundred million potential customers.

Only about 45 million people have access to AWS-band UMTS coverage right now.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Total global CDMA users ~500 million
Total global GSM/WCDMA users +4.6 billion.
I agree that AWS globally has ~1/10 of the potential currently... probably also 1/10th the manufacturing cost /development (vs. CDMA) as well.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by en102:

Total global CDMA users ~500 million
Total global GSM/WCDMA users +4.6 billion.
I agree that AWS globally has ~1/10 of the potential currently... probably also 1/10th the manufacturing cost /development (vs. CDMA) as well.
The difference in cost between a CDMA iPhone and UMTS one is neligible at best. The Hummingbird processor in GalaxyS devices is nearly identical to the "custom made" A4 in the iPhone4. And as we all know, the GalaxyS devices are available on both CDMA and WCDMA using the same SoC. Just different radios.

It doesnt take a lot of effort to make a CDMA iPhone. Just get a different radio and that's it. If Apple wants to make a CDMA iPhone, they can. Assuming that doesn't conflict with their contract with ATT.