spc
uniqs
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to vpoko

to vpoko

Re: Why pay more?

Sure. I pay ~ $125 to Verizon for FiOS Internet 25/15, 1 DVR, 1HD box, and 1 SD Box.

If I were to drop TV, Internet would go up $39 (my bundle discount). So now I'm spending over $70 for Internet.

Then I need a way for my wife to get her soaps. That costs $$. Then I have to get my shows (a few on Discovery, TLC, History, etc.) Some may cost $$.

Then I have to get a way to get that to the TV. So that's either a HTPC, Apple TV, or Logitech Revue. More $$.

Then I get to watch commercials which I skip with the DVR.

It may work if you are a single person or don't watch TV but for a household that watches a small to moderate amount of TV it doesn't make sense.

Cord cutting is not worth the hassle and costs more!

Toolshed
@144.70.2.x

Toolshed

Anon

You need to call a billing rep with vz. Your numbers are way off and your "bundle discount" is really smoke and mirrors. Fiber data standalone for 25/25 is 64.99 as internet is a nontaxable service at the moment you would half your bill.

TCub
Premium Member
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
"Cord cutting is not worth the hassle and costs more..." for people addicted to shitty television...

The shows I watch, I can find on Netflix.

Just because it doesn't work out for you, doesn't mean anything for the rest of us.
XJakeX
join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

XJakeX to itguy05

to itguy05
>>>Then I have to get my shows

I used to think the same way, and you know what? I learned that I "didn't" have to. I learned that the same flavor of shows that are on those networks are also on PBS. And in my area, the PBS stations are making very good use of the digital subchanels. Most people won't have this luxury, but I am lucky enough to be able to pull in PBS stations from two markets - Providence and Boston - and between them, there are 8 different channels.

I don't know what kind of deal you got locked into with Verizon. And I don't know how can your Internet go UP $39.00 for dropping the TV portion of your bundle, unless it's some kind of ETF. I don't even pay $39.00 for my Internet. And I won't be giving Verizon any new business after a bad experience I had with them.

It's all a matter of perspective, and what you really consider "Must See TV". When my nephew cut the cord, his kids were all upset. But they got over it. Now they spend a little more time on the computer or with video games, and actually more time playing with each other.

It's amazing how quickly you can realize what you don't "have to get".

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
That makes sense, some people watch more TV than others, and if you (and your family) watch a lot, I can see how other options aren't quite "there yet".

When I had cable I found that - other than the few shows I actually enjoyed - I would spend a not insignificant amount of time just staring at whatever crap was on TV. With streaming, now I only watch something if I consider it good enough to seek out, I don't just flip to a channel and watch what happens to be on. I cut the cord about a year ago after thinking about it for months and fearing that I'd be bored more often. I haven't missed cable once.

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer to Toolshed

Premium Member

to Toolshed

Thinking about....

cord cutting just because of this arrogant pimp Moffit. Cable is a luxery, and would be the first to go if I fell upon hard times. This would be a good $150+ per month I could sink into an annuity if the Moffits of the world weren't running those too
n2ubp
join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

n2ubp

If the cable companies want to maintain the number of subs they better get on the channels cases about offering better quality content rather than reruns, infomercials, and church channels.

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

jazzlady

said by n2ubp:

If the cable companies want to maintain the number of subs they better get on the channels cases about offering better quality content rather than reruns, infomercials, and church channels.
You got that right!
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Toolshed

to Toolshed

Re: Why pay more?

said by Toolshed :

You need to call a billing rep with vz. Your numbers are way off and your "bundle discount" is really smoke and mirrors. Fiber data standalone for 25/25 is 64.99 as internet is a nontaxable service at the moment you would half your bill.
I don't think so:
TV
Valued Customer FiOS TV Credit will be applied up to and including your Nov 25, 2010 bill. - $5.00
FiOS TV Extreme HD - 57.99
Digital Adapter - $3.99
High Definition DVR Rental - $15.99
High Definition STB Rental - $9.99
Total Services - $82.96
Total Tax and Fees - $6.26

Verizon Broadband Services
FiOS Internet 25/15 Sep 25 - Oct 24 $64.99
FiOS Internet 25/15 Bundle Discount Sep 25 - Oct 24 - $27.99
Total New Charges -$ 37.00

Total $126.22

So tell me how I'd be saving $$. I'd save $82.96 + Tax, my Internet would go up $28 and I'd have to figure how to get shows to my TV at an expense....
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo to itguy05

to itguy05
I've noticed the whole communist/extended/forced family situation does put a big crimp in "cord cutting"; there's too many weirdos who want to watch Univision, soaps, drag queen tv, and you name it, it's a mess. I.e., poor people.

Bachelors and well educated young couples are more likely to not ever have had, or cancel, their TV cable services than the poorer and elderly and messy background families.
ChrisCowles
join:2003-05-03
Gainesville, FL

1 edit

ChrisCowles to TCub

to TCub
said by TCub:

Just because it doesn't work out for you, doesn't mean anything for the rest of us.
I don't think the person you replied to said that. He only said it didn't work for them, and it doesn't work for me. I wish it did.

I tried it but resumed TV subscription through a cheaper satellite contract. We don't pay for anything other than the most basic HD service. Before satellite we only had analog extended basic. Our subscription is as cheap as I can go, and still get more than broadcast.

Some of my family are entertained by what you may (and I do) consider crappy fare. But they're not dimwit couch potatoes. The TV they watch occasionally is an escape from the hard stuff they have to do every day.

Going cordless and keeping it simple for all family members isn't quite as easy as it is for tech-savvy young (or experienced) adults, especially for those living alone. As another respondent wrote, second-tier sports aren't easily available elsewhere. We'll get there, but we're not there, yet.

My family will cut the cord eventually but it doesn't serve our needs to do so, yet.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

said by Toolshed :

I don't think so:
TV
Valued Customer FiOS TV Credit will be applied up to and including your Nov 25, 2010 bill. - $5.00
FiOS TV Extreme HD - 57.99
Digital Adapter - $3.99
High Definition DVR Rental - $15.99
High Definition STB Rental - $9.99
Total Services - $82.96
Total Tax and Fees - $6.26

Verizon Broadband Services
FiOS Internet 25/15 Sep 25 - Oct 24 $64.99
FiOS Internet 25/15 Bundle Discount Sep 25 - Oct 24 - $27.99
Total New Charges -$ 37.00

Total $126.22

So tell me how I'd be saving $$. I'd save $82.96 + Tax, my Internet would go up $28 and I'd have to figure how to get shows to my TV at an expense....
Hulu, Netflix, OTA, and various websites of networks that show full epsodies. If that's not enough TV I'm not sure what is.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x to itguy05

to itguy05
FYI...you can save money if you call verizon. When i had fios, it was $105/mo, no contract, 35/35 internet, extreme hd, movie channels, phone, etc.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to 88615298

to 88615298
OTA would be nice but I love my DVR's. I won't deal with no HD and can't be tied to the TV when the programs are on.

And there's the pesky commercials which are also present on Hulu.

CWM
@uslec.net

CWM

Anon

I used a laptop that got decommissioned when my wife upgraded to a netbook. It had previously been upgraded to Win7 so it had windows media center on it. Throw in netflix (~$9 / mo) and hulu integration, and you've got a nice setup. I added boxee integration and it's got a great deal of content too. Boxee helps me get the things I couldn't find on Hulu. I added a USB tuner card ($50) and a $15 cheapo hdtv antenna. WMC provides a DVR in it so I can select the shows I want to watch same day, and I'm certainty not looking back. The hardest part has been adjusting to a different way to watch tv. It's now "what do I want to watch?" not "let's see what's on tv." It's oddly empowering.