uniqs

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

Not a cord cutter.... yet

I fit the bill of a cord cutter (not according to the cable exec, I mean the 30-something, college grad, employed, etc description). We have moved towards cord cutting: We watch more Netflix (streaming via Roku and DVDs) and take DVDs out of our local library. Most of the shows we watch could be viewed on Hulu (which will come to Roku soon).

Still, we haven't cut the cord just yet. It turns out that there is a set of channels that we actually like watching that we wouldn't get if we cord-cut. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney and Discovery Channel are chief among them. (The first three for my kids, the last for me.)

If we were able to get those channels via streaming (either included in Netflix or even another paid service), we would be able to cut the cord entirely. Given how more and more shows are going streaming, I think it's just a matter of time. So we might not be cord cutters now, but the possibility of doing it is in our minds and we'll keep an eye out for the chance to slice that cable line.

ssj4android
Redefining Reality
join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI

ssj4android

Nickelodeon: »www.nick.com/videos/all- ··· episodes
I know they had shows on Netflix as well.
Cartoon Network: »www.cartoonnetwork.com/v ··· dex.html
Disney: I've seen their shows on Netflix. Have they taken them down?
Discovery Channel: I've seen Mythbusters at least on Netflix. They might have other shows as well.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

I didn't know about Nick. Thanks.

Cartoon Network's full episodes list is pretty small. Only 11 episodes right now and only 2 of those are from shows we watch.

Disney Channel has DVD releases on Netflix, but not on streaming and Mythbusters is on Netflix as the collections, not season sets. (So, for example, if you want to see the third episode in Season 5, you'll need to know which, if any, collection it is in.)

My ideal "cable cutting" solution would be for those channels to put their shows (current episodes and past episodes) on some streaming service (whether Hulu, Netflix or someplace else). Then, I could view the content on my TV without needing to be signed up for cable. I would even pay a reasonable amount (say, $3 per month) for a couple of those streamed "channels."