spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GreyGrey

@dslextreme.com

DSLExtreme versus ATT pricing

Any chance that DSLExtreme will be matching ATT on their pricing? ATTs introductory price (which is good for one year) for speeds up to 3MBytes is $14.95/month which is considerably less than DSLExtreme. I'd just as soon not get service with ATT, but can't really justify the additional expense of going with DSLExtreme.

brykasch

join:2008-05-13
Springfield, MO

Just remember any pricing you get from at&t is for the first year only. If its anything like I saw when I was comparing when it came time to renew, ends up being at least 5 dollars more a month for at&t vs dslxtreme after the first year.

DSLxtreme- Better usenet, better customer/tech support overall.

V7

join:2006-04-14
Dinuba, CA
reply to GreyGrey

I switched from ATT to DSLExtreme last January and have been very satisfied with the service, but I also had good service from ATT when I was with them. I switched to DSLExtreme and moved from standard DSL to DSL Pro speed. At the time, it was approx $5 per month cheaper than ATT. In other words, by switching to DSLExtreme I could get a faster DSL connection for the same price I was paying ATT.

Unfortunately, shortly after I switched ATT came out with their new pricing. The new pricing is not just for new customers. My brother just moved to the next town and when he called to move his service they increased his speed and gave him the $14.95/mo pricing.

If ATT's $14.95 pricing is still in effect when my contract is up in January, I would be stupid not to switch back. Even if DSLExtreme were to match ATT's pricing it wouldn't make sense to obligate myself to another year contract with the ugly early termination fee. ATT gives you the 14.95 price with a year guarantee AND NO CONTRACT. Simple economics.

Chuck

cust

@dslextreme.com
reply to GreyGrey

I was wondering about this too.

For $20 you can get up to 6.0 Mbps with AT&T with no contract, but with DSLX you get only 1.5 Mbps with a contract.

AT&T was offering this pricing for a long time now (so it doesn't appear to have been a limited time promo and is probably going to stay).

Back in the day, AT&T and DSLX speed/pricing were approximately the same, and DSLX was a better deal because they didn't raise the cost as much the next year.

But times have changed...

I don't get why an AT&T wholesaler (or whatever they call it), DSLX, can't offer approximately the same service. Difference is WAYYY off in my opinion.

V7

join:2006-04-14
Dinuba, CA

Wow, ask and we shall receive. I just checked the DSLExtreme site and they have new pricing, competitive with AT&T! Hmm, maybe I won't move to ATT

Their new pricing:

12.95 768kbps
14.95 1500kbps
14.95 3000kbps
19.95 6000kbps

The new pricing is in line with ATT's, except for the 768Kbps price which ATT has at 14.95.

Now I'm thinking of renewing with DSLExtreme and moving from DSL Pro to DSL Elite. I'm presently paying $25 for Pro, with the new pricing I can double my speed and save $5/month. Of course, it all depends on if they consider me a "new client" for a renewal and/or upgrade. The web site says the new pricing is for NEW CLIENTS only. If I can't get the new pricing by upgrading my service then I have no choice but to switch to ATT.

Chuck

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

Yes but now they charge "$2.88 Supplier Surcharge Recovery fee " basically they are doing what phone company do. Provide base price and then sneak in other charge(s) and call them some name that makes it appear that they have no choice. Which is obviously bs. So in reality just add 2.88 and at&t still is cheaper.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

They have been charging this fee since 2006 so it's not a new fee and it's also stated in their TOS.

»Re: Will ExtremeDSL drop FUSF fee?
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

Expand your moderator at work

aerith
Premium
join:2008-12-31
Milpitas, CA
reply to GreyGrey

Re: DSLExtreme versus ATT pricing

said by silentlooker:

Yes but now they charge "$2.88 Supplier Surcharge Recovery fee " basically they are doing what phone company do. Provide base price and then sneak in other charge(s) and call them some name that makes it appear that they have no choice. Which is obviously bs. So in reality just add 2.88 and at&t still is cheaper.
At&t only gives you one IP, while DSL Extreme gives you five public IPs. It depends on your situation if you need more public IPs, but the excuse is "use a router", but for some, using public IPs is easier.

RogerPL

@dslextreme.com

said by aerithDSL :

DSLExtreme gives you five public IPs. It depends on your situation if you need more public IPs
Could you elaborate more on this? Why would I need more than one public IP?

silentlooker
Premium
reply to aerith

said by aerith:

said by silentlooker:

At&t only gives you one IP, while DSL Extreme gives you five public IPs. It depends on your situation if you need more public IPs, but the excuse is "use a router", but for some, using public IPs is easier.
It makes no difference, you got only 1 public ip. You can only use 1 ip at a time.

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:15
reply to RogerPL

In some areas we offer multiple dynamic public IPs via DHCP. This is beneficial for some clients that want to have a public IP assigned to a specific device. For example you could have your VOIP adapter assigned a public IP and then your router and rest of your network assigned a different public IP. In this setup you would have a switch behind the modem and then multiple devices connected to the switch. Each of those would be assigned their own public IP.

Thanks
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

cust

@dslextreme.com
reply to GreyGrey

Too bad existing customers do not qualify for this offer.

It seems to be only for new customers. Once again, loyal customers are screwed.

ATT has no contract. After years and years of being a DSLX customer, it's time for me to switch once my contract expires in a few months. Speed/pricing aren't cutting it anymore.

It's just like Dish, another company I'm starting to despise. They offer free HD for life of new customer accounts. Existing customers? We have to pay a ridiculous upfront fee to get it or sign an additional 2 year contract. I'm stuck with SD, just like I'm stuck with snail speed with DSLX.

Companies should just adjust every account. I understand these are pricing schemes to bring in new customers, but loyal customers are of value, too, in my opinion. Surely other products and services make up for a lot of revenue as well. It's just greedy and unfair. Anyway, /rant.

jrj90620

@pacbell.net
reply to GreyGrey

I switched to ATT after DSL Extreme overcharged my credit card for the last month of the yearly contract.They then showed a credit on the account for the amount of overcharge.I assume that was to encourage me to renew the contract.ATT gave me a $100 gift card and charged $24.95/mo with no add on charges.So,it was about $3 less per month plus about $8.50 per month discount with the $100.Of course DSL Extreme went ahead and billed me for another month after I had discontinued service.They eventually sent the bill to a collection agency that regularly phones me about this bill I don't owe.I hate DSL Extreme and recommend you avoid them.

silentlooker
Premium

said by jrj90620 :

I switched to ATT after DSL Extreme overcharged my credit card for the last month of the yearly contract.They then showed a credit on the account for the amount of overcharge.I assume that was to encourage me to renew the contract.ATT gave me a $100 gift card and charged $24.95/mo with no add on charges.So,it was about $3 less per month plus about $8.50 per month discount with the $100.Of course DSL Extreme went ahead and billed me for another month after I had discontinued service.They eventually sent the bill to a collection agency that regularly phones me about this bill I don't owe.I hate DSL Extreme and recommend you avoid them.

Tell collection to send you demand in writing, once you get it send them cease and decease order. That should stop them from ever calling you again.
Edit:Better yet first send them debt verification letter and see if they reply. I am guessing they will not.