uniqs
share rss forum feed

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to tiger72

Re: AWS iPhone

I think it would be actually easier to manufacture an AWS iPhone than the CDMA one.
Same chipset/technology - just a band shift.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

said by en102:

I think it would be actually easier to manufacture an AWS iPhone than the CDMA one.
Same chipset/technology - just a band shift.
definitely easier. I just think it's less likely. A CDMA iPhone will work in China, India, Canada, and Sprint/VZW in the US. That's a few hundred million potential customers.

Only about 45 million people have access to AWS-band UMTS coverage right now.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

Total global CDMA users ~500 million
Total global GSM/WCDMA users +4.6 billion.
I agree that AWS globally has ~1/10 of the potential currently... probably also 1/10th the manufacturing cost /development (vs. CDMA) as well.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

said by en102:

Total global CDMA users ~500 million
Total global GSM/WCDMA users +4.6 billion.
I agree that AWS globally has ~1/10 of the potential currently... probably also 1/10th the manufacturing cost /development (vs. CDMA) as well.
The difference in cost between a CDMA iPhone and UMTS one is neligible at best. The Hummingbird processor in GalaxyS devices is nearly identical to the "custom made" A4 in the iPhone4. And as we all know, the GalaxyS devices are available on both CDMA and WCDMA using the same SoC. Just different radios.

It doesnt take a lot of effort to make a CDMA iPhone. Just get a different radio and that's it. If Apple wants to make a CDMA iPhone, they can. Assuming that doesn't conflict with their contract with ATT.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara