how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ruxi

join:2009-02-24
Winter Park, FL

[Internet] Surfboard Modem Password - Lightning

Just curious, is there a default password for the Surfboard that comes with Lightning? I had the tech put it in bridge mode, but I want to verify the rest of the settings.

Expand your moderator at work

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

1 edit
reply to ruxi

Re: [Internet] Surfboard Modem Password - Lightning

LOL - why is everything like pulling teeth? I've been on with technical support for 25 minutes and no one seems to know.

I think he's hoping I'll just hang up.

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

4 edits
reply to ruxi

He's trying to give me the WPA key, despite asking for the administrative password for the router. If I couldn't laugh, I'd cry.

Edit: Minute 40.. a few moments ago he comes back to the line and asks "so you're trying to get into the modem?" I thought we established this on minute 5. You'd think we were speaking two different languages.

Edit: Minute 48... "I've been told by one of my leads we don't give that out" -- there's no damn way on this earth I'm keeping a piece of equipment plugged into my network where I can't change the wireless password to something of my own personal knowledge. I was able to get the WPA password out of this guy without even giving him the last four digits of my SSN. Does he honestly think I'm going to trust BrightHouse with my personal privacy and network security? Not to mention I know several customers who do have the password.

Edit: Minute 55... was put on hold at minute 48. LOL - this is amusing.

Edit: Minute 62.. supervisor wants to reset my modem. I give up. I explain I'm on a VoIP phone call and resetting the modem would drop the connection. He tells me that the VoIP is independent of Lightning. Because BrightHouse is the only company in the world that provides VoIP? I'm using a ITSP, not BHN's VoIP. Time for a drink.

ruxi

Winter Park, FL
reply to ruxi

When I move, I swear, the #1 priority will be finding a place outside of BrightHouse's reach.

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to ruxi

I had to call the 800#, then get to LOCAL SUPPORT, asked nicely and the guy looked it up and gave it to me...

Are you talking to the 800# or the Local CFL people?

P/W's I've been told are UNIQUE and generated off of your name?

Irv S.
--
Irv Spalten

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

I did call the 800 #.. and I started out nice until about minute 62. Then I said I'd call on Monday when they presumably staff with people who know what they're talking about.

I could try the local number, but I'm too frazzled for tonight. Perhaps tomorrow or Monday.

Funny enough, Nick123456 (from this forum) told me to call them. And I said "that sounds painful" -- if I only knew how right I'd be.

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

Don't call the LOCAL number, call the 800# and ASK for LOCAL LIGHTNING SUPPORT. They are the only ones with the data I believe.

If you put in a SERVICE CALL they too should be able to get the p/w and give it to you, although waiting at home for them could be a waste of time.

Irv S.
--
Irv Spalten

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

I called the 800 # and got RR National Support and then he transferred me. I have no idea who I was speaking to at that point. The supervisor was trying to give me some crap about firmware and how it would just change in an hour. I'm not sure how a unique password would change in an hour. Like I said, I think they have their scrubs on staff at 7:30pm on a Saturday night.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147

said by ruxi:

I called the 800 # and got RR National Support and then he transferred me. I have no idea who I was speaking to at that point. The supervisor was trying to give me some crap about firmware and how it would just change in an hour. I'm not sure how a unique password would change in an hour. Like I said, I think they have their scrubs on staff at 7:30pm on a Saturday night.
Ruxi what you can do is hard reset it use the default login and password and then put the thing into bridge mode, use your own router and never mess with it again.

Diablo

join:2007-09-17
Kissimmee, FL
kudos:1
reply to ruxi

If the gateway is on bridge mode is acting like a modem,no other settings have to be changed ..

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

said by Diablo:

If the gateway is on bridge mode is acting like a modem,no other settings have to be changed ..
And I'm 99% sure I won't be changing anything, but I should not be denied access to network equipment on _my_ network. It's more the principle -- and what if I wanted to change that setting in the future?

ruxi

Winter Park, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

Ruxi what you can do is hard reset it use the default login and password and then put the thing into bridge mode, use your own router and never mess with it again.
See? That's why we keep you around. Thanks!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ruxi:

said by BHNtechXpert:

See? That's why we keep you around. Thanks!
LOL!

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

Crap. I did that and it did reset the settings, but the "default password" isn't working. Is the default password something different than what's in the manual? admin/motorola? Now I'm not in bridge mode and ... it sucks.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ruxi:

Crap. I did that and it did reset the settings, but the "default password" isn't working. Is the default password something different than what's in the manual? admin/motorola? Now I'm not in bridge mode and ... it sucks.
Try admin and the SSID the tech gave you.

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

1 edit

He didn't give me an SSID as I asked him to disable the wireless.

This is a big problem, I should have left well enough alone.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ruxi:

To be honest I didn't realize you were already bridged. Had I known that I would have asked why you even needed into the modem anyway Because once bridged there are no settings for you. Lordy...you should be able to call in right now and get this taken care of. Call your local number, tell the automated system your cable light is out on the modem and that will transfer you to your local office who can directly deal with this. Make sure you ask where you are talking to right then...explain the circumstances...you should be ok.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to ruxi

said by ruxi:

Also scan for local wireless networks. You should see your SSID there. It will most likely be the strongest one you see there.

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

1 edit

Couple of seconds ahead of you. That's what I did.. and that worked. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to let me change the password, but at this point I'm just glad to have it working again.

Thanks.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ruxi:

Couple of seconds ahead of you. That's what I did.. and that worked. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to let me change the password, but at this point I'm just glad to have it working again.

Thanks.
LOL...ok so do you need instructions on how to put it back into bridge mode or do you have that?

ruxi

Winter Park, FL
reply to ruxi

Nah, all is back to normal. I'm pretty over it for tonight, I'll make sure everything is OK in the morning, but I think I'm back to where I started earlier today. Thanks again.

Am I unable to change the admin password due to some sort of restriction or am I just being a moron? It keeps telling me the old password is incorrect, despite the fact it's the one I logged in with?

Nick123456

join:2009-12-27
Satellite Beach, FL

Mine let me change it, I was also logging in with "root" as the username

ruxi

Winter Park, FL

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

To be honest I didn't realize you were already bridged. Had I known that I would have asked why you even needed into the modem anyway Because once bridged there are no settings for you. Lordy...you should be able to call in right now and get this taken care of. Call your local number, tell the automated system your cable light is out on the modem and that will transfer you to your local office who can directly deal with this. Make sure you ask where you are talking to right then...explain the circumstances...you should be ok.
I just wanted access to the status screen and I wanted to confirm all the settings. I knew there'd be very little for me to change, again, it was sort of the principle. I shouldn't be denied access to network equipment on my network. Even the old school plain old modems let me see the signal levels. Moot point now, I got in.. after a few moments of panic. Thanks again.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ruxi:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I just wanted access to the status screen and I wanted to confirm all the settings. I knew there'd be very little for me to change, again, it was sort of the principle. I shouldn't be denied access to network equipment on my network. Even the old school plain old modems let me see the signal levels. Moot point now, I got in.. after a few moments of panic. Thanks again.
Well it technically isn't on your network, it's BHN's until the data goes into your router and then it becomes your network but I do understand where you are coming from