All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pulsar777
join:2009-12-21

pulsar777

Surface Cleaning Wipes

is the Surface Cleaning Wipes used for cleaning various plastic & metal surfaces safe for cleaning of thin electrical cables? (vinyl covers)
This Cleaning Wipes contains Isopropyl alcohol/propan-2-ol as main componenet: is it safe for cleaning of thin electrical cables used in various AC Power Supply adaptors for gadgets or mobile phones? Is there any danger that that Isopropyl alcohol can dissolve or damage electrical cable cover, or AC adapter plastic surface?
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7

said by pulsar777:

is the Surface Cleaning Wipes used for cleaning various plastic & metal surfaces safe for cleaning of thin electrical cables? (vinyl covers)
This Cleaning Wipes contains Isopropyl alcohol/propan-2-ol as main componenet: is it safe for cleaning of thin electrical cables used in various AC Power Supply adaptors for gadgets or mobile phones? Is there any danger that that Isopropyl alcohol can dissolve or damage electrical cable cover, or AC adapter plastic surface?
You should ask the manufacturer or the distributor. My best guess is it is harmless for the tasks you have proposed. So that is a big fat NO, it won't hurt the materials you are concerned with. Just make sure you dry the device/wiring thoroughly before you plug it back into a power source.
pulsar777

pulsar777

Sure I asked manufacturer, but they didn't respond. Its not a top brand manufacturer, and I guess that they would answer "no", even if their cleaner would really harm plastic surface
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7

said by pulsar777:

Sure I asked manufacturer, but they didn't respond. Its not a top brand manufacturer, and I guess that they would answer "no", even if their cleaner would really harm plastic surface
OK, here is your definitive answer:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is ··· _alcohol
pulsar777

pulsar777

well, from this article "Isopropyl alcohol should not be used to clean vinyl records as it may leach plasticizer from the vinyl making it more rigid." Does AC adapter electrical wires have vinyl cover?

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to pulsar777

Premium Member

to pulsar777
Most wire/cord jackets are made from some version of polypropylene, which can't be dissolved with alcohol. I have used alcohol wipes for cleaning computers for years...it's perfectly safe.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf to pulsar777

Anon

to pulsar777
I don't think you need to worry about that. It isn't like your cables are going to be soaking in a vat of this stuff 24/7. Even if it did do something to the plastic, which I very much doubt, you probably aren't going to be wiping your cables down often enough that it would matter unless you have an extreme compulsion to wipe them every free moment.
The bigger issue is to exercise care handling the cables because it is more likely that you would damage thin fragile cables from mechanical stresses such as bending them back and forth or stressing them around where the wire enters the connector, than that you would damage them chemically.