Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Time to Move on

and kill the Sprint LTE rumors as that's what they are. Sprint will always stay with WiMax.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

They need to make a stronger statement than this. In 5+ years or so Sprint will have to convert the CDMA spectrum to LTE, or at least have a strong plan in place as CDMA WILL eventually go away. Qualcomm is apparently working on a CDMA to LTE transition in same spectrum.

Sprint needs to make a statement that Clear and the 2.5Ghz spectrum will stick with WiMAX and that PCS spectrum on CDMA will likely eventually go LTE, or that it is the strategic target.

LTE on yet another band makes no sense. There's already too many and therefore LTE has no chance at global roaming. WiMAX is mostly only on 3 bands, so we could more likely see global roaming as well as broader range of IEEE consumer electronics players.

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to hottboiinnc

I'm guessing the Sprint CEO must of taken advice from Blockbuster's CEO.

If they do not dump WiMax then they will be regulated to the same position as Verizon Wireless has been with the only caveat is that they can sell mobile wifi devices, but then again so can LTE vendors so I see not advantage of not adopting LTE.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to xenophon

Sprint doesn't need to move to LTE even for CDMA. they can move to Wimax and do all IP which would save them $$$$ in the end as VoIP would be the way to go for them. kill off the PSTN points that they don't need. Would be smart for them and what they'd most likely do.

Sprint already says they don't need to move to LTE. and VZW is the only one doing anything. TMO says LTE but did their trial with Sprint-Nextel-Clear and that was it.

Sprint can actually upgrade their CMDA network and keep going that way until they need to fully upgrade. Sprint's thing is they won't say what their doing and won't until they have something in stone or have it already out. The thing that gives Sprint the upper hand with that is they actually BUILT their network from the ground up (sm-sprint) unlike VZ and T. So it make sense for VZ to actually to move all across the board the same; but they won't fully move away from CDMA either as most areas won't have a ROI on it.